Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How can a team as successful as HTC fail to find a sponsor?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s amazing really that this would happen; one report quoted the team had generated over $400m in media coverage (I guess they mean the equivalent dollar value of paid advertising they generate) and still they fail to get a sponsor.

How much does it cost to run a team then; any ideas of what their budget would be?

And where do we think Cav is going?

binners

I’d imagine it’d be the same as a football team trying to get a sponsor if the rumours were that their main goal scorer is about to leave on a free transfer and a couple of the wingers, who supplied the crosses were probably going with him too!

Naranjada
    Free Member

I’m not amazed by it, simple economic decision made in these tough times?

The benefits of sports team sponsorship, in my estimation, are probably hard to quantify and a frivolity that gets pared back when business is tough.

Sky will want Cav in their paddock, surely.

uplink
    Free Member

Very limited audience for a lot of the world

I can pretty much guarantee that I’d be the only one in our household of 6 that could tell you who the main sponsor of Cavendish’s team is and I’m probably the last one of us who’d buy a mobile phone

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think GB is a fairly special case there though, pro cycling is much bigger on the continent.

convert

I have to say even though the name of the team is HTC Highroad, I never think “smartphone” when I see their riders. Go on their homepage and it is no more clear.

I’d imagine Cav to Sky is a cert now which is a shame for Wiggins. It’s rare for a single team of 9 to have the firepower to support a top class green jersey contender and a GC rider well in a single grand tour (T mobile with Zabel and Ullrich is the last time I remember a team trying and they had a lot of “vitamins” in their drinks bottles!). The chances of Wiggins being on the podium is far smaller than Cavendish winning stages (or the green) so I can see him becoming a bit part player.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How can a team as successful as HTC fail to find a sponsor?’ is closed to new replies.