Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hotels in NY ??
  • DrJ

I am planning a trip to NYC as a birthday treat for my daughter’s 21st. Can anyone recommend a hotel in a good location for the usual touristy stuff? I am thinking of 3 or 4 stars, though I may change my mind after seeing the price!

Also – is it weird to plan to share a room?

bentandbroken

I worked in and stayed at the Westin Grand Central NY

It was a short walk from the train station (i.e. the metro), had good views of the Chrysler building from one side and the ESB from other parts, but it was a fair stroll for the main shops etc

There was lots of evidence of people sharing rooms and typical rooms had two doubles (as a lot of American bedrooms seem to have)

Watty

We stayed near to Madison Square Garden, it cost a fortune and was tiny. How about an apartment, that way you’ll each have your own space. have a butchers here

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I stayed at the Embassy suites in Battery park about ten years ago. Brilliant place, and a good option for sharing as it has separate living / sleeping areas. However, I just tried googling it, and I think they changed the name. Bugger! It’s just across from ground zero, with views of the Statue of Liberty from the front. Reasonably priced as well, especially for Manhattan.

konabunny
    Free Member

There’s not much cheap around but if you’re going as a family, you might try to look at serviced apartments like Club Quarters (which can be relatively cheap on the weekends, as can a lot of the Financial District hotels).

russ295
    Free Member

St James hotel.
    Cheap and cheerful and a stones throw from Times Square.
    Rooms are a bit old, or they were when I was there, but you’ll not be in it much.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at Pod 51 lots of times—without a doubt the best location for the money, rooms are small but clean and cute, nice staff, respectful guests, close to a subway, what’s not to love!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I got an apt in Jersey City, 3 mins walk from the tube (next to regency hyatt) , which is 5 mins ride into WTC station.
    Not in the thick of it, we had a wedding in Liberty Park so it was easier to locate ourselves in JC instead of Manhatten, and a little cheaper.

Here

Only downside is that cabs back at night can be pricey cos you’re crossing ‘state lines’.

jackthedog
    Free Member

About 15 years ago we stayed at Hotel Carter, just off Times Square. It certainly had character.

From Wiki:

It has been ranked the dirtiest hotel in America four years running. Numerous reports on TripAdvisor warn of bedbug infestation and unsafe conditions

An infant, twenty-five days old, was beaten to death at the hotel in November 1983.

In 1987, a woman was thrown to her death out of a window from one of the top floors.

In July 1999 a clerk murdered a co-worker during a brawl near the front desk.

On August 31, 2007, a housekeeper found the body of Kristine Yitref, 33, wrapped in plastic garbage bags and hidden under a bed in Room 608.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stayed at The New Yorker.
    Lovely Art Deco place..
    Close enough to walk to pretty much anywhere.

footflaps

For my 40th we stayed in the Waldorf Astoria, very central (2 min walk to Grand Central Station). Was very nice.

Waldorf Astoria by brf, on Flickr

Foyer by brf, on Flickr

Cole Porter’s Steinway by brf, on Flickr

mattmbk
    Free Member

We stayed at the Andaz Hyatt on 5th Avenue. Not cheap but fantastic and you get free wine every night between 6 and 9.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Back in the early 90s I stayed at the Chelsea Hotel. It was as rough as hell, surly staff, broken glass, sticky carpets, chests of drawers missing drawers. It’s one of those places with so much history you wouldn’t expect anything less.

I’ve stayed at the Waldorf Astoria and the Plaza on the corner of Central Park.all that was memorable was the bill.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

If you want to splash the cash The Bowery is fantastic—stunning rooms (go for a corner one), lovely Italian restaurant, great area (lower east side) for galleries, music venues, shopping, Soho, Chinatown, Tenement Museum, Union Sq, Brooklyn Bridge … and just across the road from the subway at Delancey St for zipping round Manhattan (get a Metro Card).

easygirl

We’ve stayed in central New York hotels quite a few times, then one year we decided to try further out, and we think they are better value, bigger rooms.
    We stayed at the nu hotel in Brooklyn last time and it was great.Its about 20 mins on the tube into the city, and Smith stret has loads of great restaurants.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.hotelmela.com/

I tend to use this place when in NY on work. Not too bad price wise, either. Great location, and a v good bar just next door.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Have stayed in The Waldorf, The Intercontinental, The W in Times Square and several boutique type hotels around mid-town. Just got back from a 2 week trip to NY with the family (wife and 2 daughters – so now very skint) but this time we rented an apartment on the Lower East Side which was brilliant. 23rd St station gets you most places. Google NFK Brokerage and speak to Noreen – They have apts all over the City.

toby1

Our hunting/trip advisor reading lead us to the ACE hotel Chelsea, not actually been there yet as the holiday starts next week. Also, NYC isn’t cheap so plan a big budget!

wonderchump
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a hotel – Hire an apartment on a short-term lease – even a couple of days is good. You get more for your cash. I got to NYC regularly for work and pleasure and use NFK Brokerage – their website is http://www.nfkbrokerage.com – and they have lots of 1 or 2 bed apartments around the better spots in Manhattan.

My favourite is their place on E 25th Street and 3rd Avenue which is a short walk from The ESB, Flat Iron, etc. The subway is within easy reach and the bus service on 2nd Avenue is great too. There’s always taxi’s of course but we like to walk a lot so this is a great central location. If you get in touch with them speak to Noreen – she’s the owner and looks after her guests.

Mackem

Hotel Pennysylvania – Old and bit past it’s best but clean, excellent location, can be a lot cheaper than others. Again, excellent location.

yen
    Free Member

I stayed at the Embassy suites in Battery park about ten years ago. Brilliant place, and a good option for sharing as it has separate living / sleeping areas. However, I just tried googling it, and I think they changed the name.

This is now the Conrad Hilton Hotel. A great place to stay if you want to stay in a quieter location. Its next to the new world trade centre and close to the tube. Larger than average rooms for New York. Every room has separate lounge and bedroom. For somewhere more central Andaz Haytt on 5th ave is recommended.

toby1

Wonderchump, what made you decide to resurrect this old thread?

kjcc25
    Free Member

La Quinta Inn, Manhattan

A good hotel situated very close to the Empire State Building. Good free breakfast and great views of the Empire State from the roof bar. Really good Korean restaurant almost opposite the entrance.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hotels in NY ??’ is closed to new replies.