Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hopton Red Route… Any Good?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Pretty much decided we’re heading that way tomorrow, never been. Heard the DH course is (or used to be) quite good, but what’s the new red XC route like? Similar to anything else? More fun on a Hardtail or a full sus?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Hopton’s where all the cool kids go to ride XC atm.

mboy
    Free Member

Best not go then, probably won’t be allowed cos I’m not cool enough! 😉

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Hopton’s where all the cool kids go to ride XC atm.

I’ve been going most weeks for the last ten years, so that’s always been true 😛
    Anyway, the new red trail is pretty good, though there’s an evil slog at the first proper climb. Not as evil as the climb from the pond to the Titterhill, but luckily tha’s not on the trail!
    It’s not as hard as some of the older bits used to be – like the old reds from the car park, or the one that went down towards Gripesnest. as a result it’s mostly lovely flowing single track with the occasional very entertaining bit.
    And it’s worth extending the route to do the figure of 8 round Bucknell hill after Mereoak – this adds about 3 miles…

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

And I’ve done it on both hard tail and full suss – fun either way unless the susser is heavy!

mboy
    Free Member

Just got back…

CANNOT believe I’ve never ridden there before! That Red route is probably the best man made (well shaped by man, it’s quite natural compared to most trail centres) trail I’ve ridden in ages! OK a couple of the climbs are right bastards, especially on a 1×10 with quite loose and muddy surfaces and a rear tyre better suited to harder conditions, but I managed it all bar a slight push on one climb when the back tyre just span up.

Took my hardtail in the end, on balance I’d say it’s more of a hardtail kinda place, it’s quite tight and twisty and I think I benefitted more overall from being on my HT, though I’d probably still have been fine on my full sus as its only 3lb heavier. The climbs would be a massive slog on anything big/heavy. Saw a guy there with a Spesh Pitch, suited up, Fix 36’s on it, 2.5″ tyres etc. I’m sure he had fun, but I’ll bet it was a massive slog up the climbs.

Anyway, can’t wait to go again. Brilliant trail (and the 2 DH runs we did after were fun too), the only thing it’s got against it is the terrain is pretty soft so cuts up easily… With that in mind, I’m changing my opinion… It’s crap, don’t waste your time going there, stick to Cannock instead! 😉

geologist
    Free Member

I agree, its great, its a proper red xc circuit. I reckon south Shropshire could be the english 7 stanes,

Hopton
    Long Mynd
    Eastridge
    Bringewood
    Mortimer
    Lots more DH only places, so soon 2 more xc places could arise surely????

cakefacesmallblock

First time at Hopton Woods for 15 years. Really enjoyed the new red. Natural feeling in the main too. Hot day for climbs, flippin sunshine 🙄 😀

spudnick
    Free Member

rode up there yesterday with cakefacesmallblock and a few others. a couple of absolute killer climbs that required a long push up, but when you got to attack the downhill sections and wicked singletrack it made it all worth while. probably my joint fav place to ride along with cwmcarn.

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

Push? That’s what downhillers do! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hopton Red Route… Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.