Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope Tech X2 brakes powerful for a big lad?
  • stew1982
    Free Member

Ride mostly Trail centers and Peaks/Lakes

Will they be powerful enough for me? (well…to stop me technically)

jam-bo

new saints.

davefarmer
    Free Member

no, buy mono m4's with the tech lever instead.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I'm 85kg and the stop me just fine, wouldn't need any bigger brakes IMO.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What's people thoughts on that "lab test" of brakes in the mag recently? Is it valid or is it like buying a car just on its top speed even though it's a feature you don't get to use?

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

I'm 85kgs and have run X2 for six months as replacement to the Juicy 5's. I have much more faith in the X2's.

My riding Peak District and trail centres in South Wales. The X2's are 'tidy'

neil853
    Free Member

I'm around 90kg and i have the new saints, more than enough power, nice feeling to know you can stop whenever you like!

slowrider
    Free Member

i have the tech m4's on one bike and the new saints on the other. both great brakes. the x4's definitely have enough power for any situation i find mself in, the saints are great though, hard to explain how good they are; such a light feel at the lever thats easy to apply without locking but massive power just waiting on tap.

my old man has the x2's and they are plenty for him. im sure they would be plenty for most but they dont 'feel' as powerful. maybe x2 rear m4 front?

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

New Saints or New Magura Martas both excellent powerfull brakes

thefallguy
    Free Member

I'm about 17 stone kitted up and run an M4 front and X2 rear combo, they have been great (powerful, reliable, great feel, easy to set up, genuine pads cheaper than my old avids by £5 a time too), when I was looking to upgrade(fed up with continual tweaking of avids) the quality of the hopes engineering just seemed so much better than the formulas, hayes, maguras etc, and whilst mags say they are down on power I've always felt that they had lots in reserve and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

mttm
    Free Member

I've been running a V2 / X2 combo for a while now (2 winters plus), both on 183 rotors. The V2 on the front is a superb brake – powerful and well modulated for single digit braking. The X2 has plenty of modulation, but is lacking in outright power. It does make a good two finger brake (where you can apply that bit more more oomph), but just isn't up to the job as a one finger brake (IME). I've just bought another V2 caliper and will be swapping out the X2 soon.

You might be interested to know that Hope have completely redesigned the V2 caliper (and apparently told nobody about it). It is a much smaller unit now and is very similar to the X2, but retains the same pistons i.e. it has the same power as before, but much less weight (and less heat sink capacity). Honestly, I can't see why anyone would buy an M4 at all now. M4's are only marginally more powerful then X2s, but are quite a bit heavier – the new V2 simply kicks them into touch.

HTH

shortcut

I weigh quite a lot and have no problem with the tech x2's. If you don't do downhillong they should be fine!

I am running 183 up front and 160 on the back.

dasnut
    Free Member

V2 are heavy, and need a special rotor
    If you need (or want) a V2 for normal trail duties, you are going very fast, or using your brakes too much

they are significantly heavier that M4s

Chevin
    Free Member

I'm not light! 16 stone on a good day! Tech X2 front and rear, 183 both ends. Best brakes I've used!

Matthew

mttm
    Free Member

The new V2 caliper is a quite a lot lighter than the old one, although the weight of the complete system probably does exceed M4s (but then so does the power). The V2 rotors are indeed unique to the V2, although the weight you often see quoted is for the heavy vented rotor – the floating rotor isn't that much different to the same diameter X2 / M4.

My perspective is slightly different – I'm quite light, but I'd say that if you can get away with X2's (especially a 160) you possibly err on the side of bimbling and have two or more fingers clenched around the brake lever. 😉

stew1982
    Free Member

I've managed to pick up a set of X2's at superb price (183 & 203 discs) so will see how they handle my weight!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2 brakes powerful for a big lad?’ is closed to new replies.