Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Hope floating rotors, Front saw cut rear round???
  • BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Just got a 203mm saw cut floating rotor for my front and 180mm round floating rotor for my rear. Going to try and run them on my Magura Marta callipers. Hope dont do a rear 180mm floating saw cut. Do you think it will look silly???

tails
    Free Member

won't 'look' perfect. but functionally be fine. you could sell one and replace with a matching one.

rich-6
    Free Member

Hope did do a 180mm floating saw cut i have since found out, dont think it'l look sill though.

my 183s look silly in my older m4s because the braking surface is too big for them so theres a shiney edge 🙁

Surfr
    Free Member

It might look silly with some fresh flesh hanging off of it. Don't mean to put too much of a downer on it, but having seen a fair few standard rotor inflicted injuries, I'd hate to see the fallout from a saw cut rotor!

lalazar
    Free Member

Come on just get em on there . . . .. .

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

rich-6
    are you sure you can get a 180mm saw cut floating? Looking on net and cant seem to find one.

They do look razor sharp Surfr. Injury would be severe.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Sh1T, lalazar

Just realised, will the bolts from my Magura rotors go on to the Hope rotors? 😕

Surfr
    Free Member

We had to air-evac. this fairly innocuous looking injury (in actuality it was a 6-7inch laceration severing the ) from a large standard rotor, only a couple weeks ago from Afan. I just wonder if making rotors saw-edge shaped serves any real benefit.

and the big red ride to Morriston..

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

looks bad, Is he ok?
    Guess the saw cut just adds the extra bling.
    I've had a large chain ring in my right shin last year which gave me 3 large lacerations, each about 2-3 inches long, so i guess there is a bit of practice there.

singlespeedstu

Hope will do you a 180 saw cut floater on special order.

I've got a few of em myself.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have saw cut ones and when they are rotating in the direction intended they are not going to do that much more harm than another bit of thin metal rotating at speed :wink:.

Surfr
    Free Member

Yeh the stitches are out and he's desperate to get back on the bike in time for SITS! I suppose you are right, chainrings pose an equally large problem, although they are less likely to be rotating at speed when they contact the body. I'm sure it's unusual to actually get cut from a rotor though. I'm still unsure as to how this accident actually happened. The rider just remembers riding along, then being in a pile. The bike obviously came over the top and somehow sliced him on the way down but I can't quite picture it.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

nice 1 tinsy. gonna sell the one I got and go gor the saw cut rear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the saw bit just dirupts the airflow arroud the rotor, helps keep them cool, in other words, perfect for "all the gear no idea" types who want bling bits but cant brake properly.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

the saw bit just dirupts the airflow arroud the rotor, helps keep them cool

it is also ment to help clear mud etc from with in the caliper body.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

all the gear no idea

????
    I understand the benefits!!!

tinsy
    Free Member

Wont cost you too much brokencollarbones, what you have is worth 15-20 if its good nick…

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Its brand new and unused tinsy. Just gonna get the rear saw cut from ebay and sell mine. Cost is not an issue.

nickc

Hope dont do a rear 180mm floating saw cut.

When I bought my 180mm saw cut rotor from stock from Wiggle, I didn't realise there was a rear and front version…

zangolin
    Free Member

wiggle have 180mm floating saw cut here

Also I have just ordered a gold 180mm floating saw cut direct from Hope via my LBS(who phoned up while I was there – so in stock with Hope).

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

This is why i put up the post. Some people say you can some people say you cant. However, the link further up clearly shows a 180mm saw cut.

Nice 1 zangolin

Mogs
    Free Member

surfr – what center was this at and on what trail im a local lad and ride both centers regularly but for the life of me cant pin point this area from the pics glad to hear the rider has recovered!!!

Mogs

zangolin
    Free Member

BrokenCollarBones – Member
    This is why i put up the post. Some people say you can some people say you cant. However, the link further up clearly shows a 180mm saw cut.

Nice 1 zangolin
    Forgot to add my LBS (Coombes Cycle , Hereford) do have black 180mm saw floaters, 6 bolt in stock.

Call me old fashioned but there is no difference between front + rear hope rotors. An XXXmm sized rotor will fit front or rear (as long as your caliper will match up to XXXmm rotor). Am I missing something?

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned but there is no difference between front + rear hope rotors. An XXXmm sized rotor will fit front or rear (as long as your caliper will match up to XXXmm rotor).

Yeah that what i would think.

rich-6
    Free Member

You'l also notice the 180mm and 183mm rotors have a slightly different design too :wink:, They are all saw but the vents on them are different.

I think the design on the 180mm has the best advantage looking at it, It'l get more air in to cool the caliper down

Surfr
    Free Member

Mogs it was the final 200M or so of Zig Zags. Just up from the rugby pitch at the bottom of the valley and carpark above the rugby pitch.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Rotor is up for sale if any one is interested. 180mm floating.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Hope floating rotors, Front saw cut rear round???’ is closed to new replies.