Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Evo tech M4 SE brakes can you easily…………
  • postierich
    Free Member

Change the green bore caps with these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6269 on the brakes

Avids on the way out on my canyon and need to pimp up my turd the green will not go with my gold pimp hubs.

Is it a easy swap is it just the case of screwing out and rebleeding?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Gold wheels? Oh dear.

But yeah, hope do a tool to change it. There’s even a shop somewhere on the net that will do custom colour hopes…they will even do the adjusters in gold as well…which are not available in the Hopes spare parts catalogue… I think Hope do the work though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have the tool if you want to borrow it to save buying it – e-mail in profile

postierich
    Free Member

“cough” its subtle gold 😕

P3080356 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

So the bore caps are the same size?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s a pain in the arse on tech ones now.The bore cap screws in from the inside and means you have to remove the pistons AND seals.Nothing major but a bit of a ballache.
    Different tool aswell.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume so but not sure what they mean by large TBH
    Mine are smaller than my hope minis and both the same size [ my tool only fits Minis] so not sure what large means tbh

Why not e-mail crc or hope for an answer?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Have you bought the brakes already? If not check these guys out, they will do them with custom gold bits on them.

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-tech-m4/

“There are options for gold or gunsmoke by special request.”

godzilla
    Free Member

It’s a pain in the arse on tech ones now.The bore cap screws in from the inside and means you have to remove the pistons AND seals.Nothing major but a bit of a ballache.

Are you sure? X2’s screw from the inside but M4’s outside. I have some Moonglu brakes and they are sweet, was reading that singletraction members get 15% off Moonglu too!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Need to read OP properly next time 😳
    Bed time for me then….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I was sure that all the Hope bore caps screwed in from the side they were on.

What I am certain of is that those caps you linked to are the wrong ones as they are designed for the Mono M4 not the Tech M4. The old Mono M4 had different sized pistons, but the Tech has both the same size. Note that they are smaller than the X2 pistons so you have to make sure you get Tech M4 specific caps

postierich
    Free Member

The link I refer to says” Replacement large bore cap for your Mono M4 Available in a variety of anodized colours to personalise your steed”.

• Also suitable for the Hope Tech M4 calliper

Thanks for the Moonglu link interesting!

chiefgrooveguru

If you don’t need the bite point adjust, the new Race Evo levers are great with the M4s. Incredible feel (and according to those dyno tests slightly more powerful than the Tech levers).

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah if I was going for M4’s I’d get the races, which I think are still adjustable for reach with an allen key? (Am I right?)

The Tech M4’s with 180mm rotors are not all that much lighter than Tech V2’s with their specific V2 180mm rotors….as the M4 callipers are heavier than the V2’s….although the rotating weight is a bit heavier on the latter.

IMO the bite point adjuster is only really helpful if you get arm pump on long DH tracks….. (as it allows you to tune the bite point close to the bars)…..meaning that you should get the V2’s anyway.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Tech M4’s with 180mm rotors are not all that much lighter than Tech V2’s with their specific V2 180mm rotors….as the M4 callipers are heavier than the V2’s

According to the Hope website, the Tech Evo M4’s are 400g vs the V2’s at 546g. AFAIK those weights are without rotors. As the V2 rotors are heavier I’m therefore guessing the V2’s would be total 400g+ heavier than the M4’s

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yes because manufacturer claims are always true! Not!

Nope general consensus is that the V2 callipers are lighter than the M4’s. The tech M4’s with the braided hose are slightly heavier than the V2s with braided hose, the weight difference becomes appreciable when the M4’s are sold with the Race levers and non steel braided hose.

If you check Bikeradar the M4 races came to 460 grams with hardware and a 180mm rotor.

The V2’s came to 520 grams with a 180mm rotor.

Also see

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/weight-of-the-hope-tech-brakes

and

the post near the end by dropadrop

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/hope-tech-m4-v-v2-492778.html

If you are going to go with the Tech M4 you should just bite the bullet and go with he Tech V2 and swap out the practically useless steel braided hose to partly make up for the increased rotating weight of the rotors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Evo tech M4 SE brakes can you easily…………’ is closed to new replies.