Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hifi/AV advice? Amps with optical/HDMI in?
  • midlifecrashes

Tried feeding the audio out from DVD player into the hifi the other day. Huge delay vs the telly sound making it unlistenable and noticable lip sych delay with no telly sound out. Obvious solution would be take sound from back of telly but it doesn’t have regular RCA sockets, just optical out. Headphone socket is right at the back and a pain to get to too (???!!).

So, is there an optical to audio adapter around(DAC?) or an amp to replace my ancient Arcam Alpha3? Current (also ancient)speakers are Acoustic Energy AE100. Have already ditched tuner and tape deck so an all in one box might do the trick, don’t want 5.1 though, telly sound through hifi is all I’m after.

Any recommendations?
    Thanks.

TheFlyingOx

This might do it, but it looks like it needs a plug socket all to itself.

Your amp might have a setting for altering delay for lip sync. My yammy has

grantway
    Free Member

mine has a lip sink on the menu option on my DVD player, see if you have this option

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Slight hijack, but I’ve got a nice Cambridge Audio AV amp for sale if anyone is interested?

Email in profile for details 🙂

CountZero

The new Yamaha and Onkyo A/V amps generally seem to be the mutts. The reviewers love them. I’ve got an old Yamaha which has a few optical inputs but no HDMI, which it precedes. I have my Sky HD box, my Mac Mini and my Cambridge Audio DVD99 connected by TOSLINK’s, and I’ve never noticed any delay on mine.

Cougar

I’d be looking for a setting somewhere, certainly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hifi/AV advice? Amps with optical/HDMI in?’ is closed to new replies.