Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help with understanding my forks (Revs 09 air uturn)
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

I’m going to be servicing my forks (with some help from bro) and I don’t really understand the ins and outs of my fork. I’m thinking about purchasing the refresh kit from TFT ( http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Revelation-Parts ) and this as I understand, is for the damper and lower service? Then I was also contemplating getting the service kit as well while we were doing them (on the same link further down).

Now I don’t really understand what each part of the fork does and therefore don’t know whether it’s worth doing both. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MrGreedy

*Pulls up a chair*

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Why…..you having your tea

MrGreedy

Haha no, unless you’re offering? Have a pair of Revs myself so would be interested to know the answer. Hopefully this bumps the thread until someone knowledgeable shows up…

Telemaster18
    Free Member

No I am starving though! It’s really confusing me! There may not be anybody knowledgable here.

mmel
    Free Member

Check your email, I’ll send you some useful attachments… 😉

Telemaster18
    Free Member

ace

mmel
    Free Member

Hang on, just realised all my info is for Rebas. I’ll do some digging and see what I can find.

All the technical info for later model forks is on the SRAM website, but I’m not sure it covers the 2009 model. I will look.

In the mean time get watching youtube, there’s loads of usefull how too videos on there. Bare in mind that there is a lot in common between the 32mm rockshox forks.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Right ok I will do, even the setting up of air pressure blags my head! Thanks for the help

kaesae
    Free Member

There are guides on youtube! I have the 09 and 2010/11 revelations, all you need to know you will find on you tube!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rockshox+revelation+service&oq=rockshox+revelation+service&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3..0l2.3831.5713.0.5875.9.9.0.0.0.0.68.533.9.9.0.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’ve serviced a pair of Revs recently, deffo worth the effort – and if I can do it anybody can.
    The only problems I had were getting the right o rings in the right places (a few are almost the same size but not quite – get it wrong and you’ll lose oil and/or air), and make sure you completely deflate the airspring before removing the circlip!!!
    Good luck.

chives
    Free Member

+1 for oldgrumps advice on releasing all pressure before stripping! And don’t compress the fork suddenly once you’ve undone the damper top cap (avoids the ‘oil all across the kitchen ceiling’ scenario – not that I’d know y’understand.. ‘cough’ – shuffles feet) 😯

When you come to re-assemble, ensure everything is as compressed as possible (by hand, don’t go to the shed and get a sash cramp on it) before closing up – so’s not to trap a load of unnecessary air in the lowers. Mine were SID’s but air forks pretty much of a muchness. Youtube is the way forward.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Right after a lot of researching/reading and help I think I understand things a bit better. The service kit is for the left leg right? The air leg. Then the other thing is for the right leg for lowers for damping/rebound?

Thanks once again!

jonba
    Free Member

It’s dead easy. These are probably not the right year but the forks are all fairly similar around that time. Peterpoddy off here had some good guides a while back, maybe try and contact him.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-rockshox-revelation-lower-leg-service-24649/

http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/rock-shox-suspension-forks-lower-leg-service/

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As everyone says – lots of advice and guides out there.

My 09 uturns had 1 persistent “problem” – the innner lower damper seal gradually dripped / leaked into the lowers.

That’s a single oring that costs pennies – which leads me to the tftuned prices – wtf!

There is a guy on ebay – I THINK he posts on here – gets a regular mention that sells oring kits for rebas that work perfectly in my 09 revs for both legs £9ish. All you need on top is fluids.

I’ll have a root about after me dinner and see if I can find a link.

Sorry – forgot to ask the obvious Q- surely this isnt the first lowers service you’ve done on some ’09 forks? Oh – and – are there any problems with them?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I’ve saved all those links and vids ready for the weekend.

couldashouldawoulda – There’s a little bit of leaking at the top of both legs (at both dials). The forks don’t seem “bad” but just not as smooth as they should be.

I’ve not long had them – purchased them knowing they’d need a service etc at a cheap price. So yes this is the first service I’ll be doing on them. I don’t know what they’ve had in the past.

I’ve never done any servicing on forks before but I have confidence in my brother’s skills. He’s top with anything like this.

james
    Free Member

IIRC the guy on ebay I bought from for my 08 dual air revs, he only reccomends for 05-09?(mk1) Rebas as thats what he had, the reccomendations from purchasers saying revs, pikes etc work are all dual-air and not dual-air-U-turn models

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

telemaster – I was thinging of evilhomersimpson:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-U-Turn-Reba-O-rings-Seals-Crush-Washer-kit-/180857529686?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a1bf2e556#ht_2193wt_1629

I can vouch that these work in my 09-uturn Revs.

You’ll need 5wt damper fluid – check CRC or halfords do motorcycle fork oil. Some folk use light weight car oil in the lowers – that’s just for lubing so might be ok – else get some 15wt fork oil too.

You should do lowers services regularly – that just needs 15wt.

Top tip – when you remove the lowers put some clear plastic bags (eg freezer / sandwich bags) over the holes as you remove the bolt / hex nut. If the right legs’s oil comes out clear brown/gold (from new) your damper isnt leaking and personally I’d probably not go any further with the damper. If its an bluey / gold mix – the damper is leaking.

You will need decent circlip pliers to get at either the air / damper side uppers.

HTH

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Cheers coulda. So your confident that o-ring/seal kit will be ok for my 09 air uturn revs? Is this the same as the one that is £25.50 on the first link I put?

Before I go buying everything from TFT?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve had my 09 air u-turn revs for about 3 1/2 years. They got fixed under warranty after about a month but since then evilhomer has supplied the bits for the bi-annual strip down. A proper nice guy to deal with btw.

The kit is not the same however. The TF kit seems to have upper wiper seals-homer doesnt. There is no oil from homer or a “buffer/stop”. I think the TF kit includes that – which ime never needs replaced.

So in your case – you may need wiper seals. If in any doubt – the TFtuned is the way to go. If it was me – I’d only pay that if the wipers were leaking. But that’s just me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

telemaster – thinking about it a bit more (quiet night)- it you were me – and they are second hand and you have no idea whats going on inside : I’d take them apart before I spend any money at all. They may need just a lower service, an air service, bushes, a damper service or be totally shagged.

#Edit – If they have been in any way looked after from new I’d wager £1 that the homer kit plus oil will get them into as new condition.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would not do anything bar an oil change and a clean and oil of any foam rings unless there is a fault – why replace seals that are working fine?

LoCo
    Free Member

The kits on the TF site are Official Rockshox ones and have all the circlips, bump stops etc in.
    They’re charging full RRP on them though… 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

They’re charging full RRP on them though…

😉

Loco is the guy. Call / email him, bypasss us amatuers.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ha I’ve bought them from TFT now, both kits and going to treat my forks to the lot. Can’t wait.

transapp
    Free Member

Wish I’d looked at this thread before posting the same questions! Good responses. Cheers people.

mint5auce
    Free Member

I’m 1/2 way through my U-turn air service and am having a spot of bother getting the upper air assembly and U-turn choke out of the air tube.

The old 2006 RS manual says “push against a flat surface” whilst the 2011 one steps up to “tap with a plastic mallet”.

Now my taps are starting to turn into whacks and it’s still not budging.

Could anybody advise me? I’m starting to think along the lines of “the positive air assembly can remain un-serviced”… which is a bit of a cop out.

Any help would be much appreciated

mint5auce
    Free Member

Still stuck in the air tube…
    Not sure I dare “tap” any harder.. 😕

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help with understanding my forks (Revs 09 air uturn)’ is closed to new replies.