Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help Wanted – Garages how to smarten them up
  • younggeoff

New house has a garage but it needs , decorating , lights layout etc. ANy help / links to pictures of before and afters greatly appreciated

grynch
    Free Member

what is your goal?.. to keep it as a garage, but brighter, or a new room?

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you just want a garage then:

[list=1][*]Paint the floor with Garage Floor Paint[/*]

[*]Paint the walls with white emulsion[/*]

[*]Install some lights[/*]

[*]Repeat step 3 until happy[/*][/list]

TooTall
    Free Member

what matt said. Buy some storage as well – shelves and some boxes (Solent Plastics for the used crate/box win). Make a work bench from Wickes laminate worktop (£20 for 2 metres) and a few quids worth of timber and coach bolts. Fluoro lights for best light.

MrAgreeable

Make one of those boards with the outlines of tools painted on it. You'll never look back. 🙂

enduro-aid
    Free Member

dont forget:

Workbench with storage for bits

some form of stereo

mine has a fridge for cold drinks and snacks

i went for a garage mat after painting as i think it looks better and keeps any dust down

matthewjb
    Free Member

Make a work bench

Tick

I made my own with these instructions:

Make one of those boards with the outlines of tools painted on it.

Tick

allthepies
    Free Member

I think you need to check your frame's rear triangle alignment there.

😉

Vortexracing

Mine

sharkbait
    Free Member

Chucky – the handle on your vice is neither horizontal nor vertical and the lights are not fitted centrally in the ceiling, C+

Vortexracing

the lights are central, it's the photo thats on the pi$$.

good point about the vice, ill sort it

Stoner
    Free Member

for bargin storage and work benches etc:
    http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

matthewjb
    Free Member

Chucky

Your tiles could do with a polish as well.

lagerfanny
    Free Member
    chopperT
    Free Member

My shed below, As above, paint the floor, white walls, plenty of light, but the key is the black skirting/kick to stop grubbification. Filing cabinets and Stainless bench tops from building salvage are ace too.

Before:

After:

br
    Free Member

Here's mine:

Lights and power, a good solid bench, workstand and whenever you have a job to do – buy the tool(s).

valleydaddy
    Free Member

so jealous of some of the garages pictured I really need to get mine sorted out somewhere near to those of chopper/chucky.

guess it won't cost much to do.

Mine is damp though as it's single skinned any ideas how to rectify that cheaply?

clunker

mines always a mess with three kids and a wife who use it as a dumping ground, pic below of my litte corner:

chopperT
    Free Member

valleydaddy, my shed is steel over paper, now lined with 10mm ply, nice and strong, and you can nail/screw directly to the wall anywhere you want.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

mate of mine has this stuff in his garage 😯

http://www.dura.co.uk/

crazy-legs

Never mind the garage clunker, that's a fine collection of steel you've got there – particularly admiring of the DogsBolx. 🙂

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Like the look of that alfa chopperT.

chopperT
    Free Member

That Alfa is currently spread all over the shed, and only slowly going back together! I should post a pic or two for the STW piston heads.
    You thought bikes took some looking after…

5lab

here's some old pics of my workshop – tis been updated a fair amount since

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I've got a nice piece of black Duropal kitchen worktop about 1750mm long by 600mm width. Never used, looks similar to that above actually.

£20 (collected of course) W Midlands based.

samuri
    Free Member

You people with garages make me sick!

Especially clunkers, he has a child in his!

rkk01
    Free Member

Some serious OCD cases there – although the Alfa owner is excused…

Here's mine..

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd consider a phone in there too. We have one which saves me missing calls and also the Mrs can use it as an intercom to call me in.

Oh and for a workbench I got an 8ft length of kitchen worktop from Ikea's bargain section for about £5. No-one wanted it because it was bright bright yellow (can't imagine what was in the mind of the person that ordered it) but it's actually really handy for a garage bench because it's really easy to see small bits.

Although, to give you an idea of how messy my garage is: rather than tidy up the bench to replace the previous worktop (which was about half the size) I lifted it up and had someone slide the new worktop under it, then I dumped the old one onto the new one. All the junk was then roughly in the same place!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help Wanted – Garages how to smarten them up’ is closed to new replies.