Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help – sticky brake pistons (hope mono m4)
  • garage-dweller

Good couple of weeks just had the verdict that my stuck rear shock wasn’t worth fixing and then went down the garage to sort a minor bit of brake rub and I’m tearing my hair out.

Brake is a Hope Mono M4, the black and gold ones from about 2006.

The pistons on the hub side and the large/leading one especially are sticking luck the proverbial to a blanket.

Double checked the alignment and thats fine and I have tried the holding the piston in thing with no joy.

Brakes feel solid but I haven’t bled them tonight.

I have lubed the pistons with dot5.

What do I try next? I don’t ideally want to fork out for new brakes but this is not the first time I’ve had this issue.

garage-dweller

Oh and thanks in advance for any replies and please excuse the typos. Smartphone not the best for this!

Andy-W
    Free Member

my m4’s had sticking piston and i just forced the piston in and out a few times with a massive screwdriver while chucking on some silicone lube

seems to have done the trick

good luck

Andy

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Check out this guide I compiled. Should get you going again.

Don’t use a screwdriver on the pistons as you run the risk of cracking them.

garage-dweller

thanks. will look at the guide later on.

mattjg
    Free Member

As 3fish says, that’s the definitive response, and Steve thx I used that page several times.

compass81

I was recommended Red Rubber Grease for lubricating the pistons as it does not degrade the seals like some silicone lubes. After a thorough clean with some cotton buds I applied the grease (google search found a supplier) to the pistons and they have been running smoothly ever since.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help – sticky brake pistons (hope mono m4)’ is closed to new replies.