Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me choose a new bike
  • angeldust
    Free Member

At the moment I ride a Orange 5, which is a few years old.
    As an incentive to ride more and improve fitness I've decided I want a new bike. I'm after a companion for the Orange 5, rather than a replacement so am looking at a short travel light weight FS (hardtail not an option) no more than 25lbs hopefully. Budget up to £3000.
    Initial thoughts are Specialized Epic Comp Carbon and Giant Anthem X1 (both 2011). Any opinions on these or possible alternatives? Giant will be better spec – looks like you are paying for the carbon frame on the Specialized.
    I won't be racing, so I'm aware I could just carry on using the Orange for everything, but really I just fancy a new bike, and want something that is considerably lighter for longer rides (plus I can get it on company cycle to work scheme so price is greatly reduced).

KT1973
    Free Member

Santa Cruz superlight or Blur XCc?
    For 3K you can build a nice bike with one of those frames

foxyrider
    Free Member

Can you tell us why an HT is not an option – love my Five and love my HT 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Already have a HT which I can't ride for long as I have a bad back.

z1ppy

+1 for the superlight if you like your single pivots.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id get a road bike, your fitness will improve dramatically and it wont cost you 3 grand

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 david 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Superlight could be an option. Anyone got a built up weight?

KT1973 – Don't think I would get a complete Blur XC carbon for under £3k, unless you know better?

angeldust
    Free Member

Fair point about the road bike, though I don't enjoy road riding much so not an option I'm going to consider.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a new bike’ is closed to new replies.