Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me choose a bike friendly car / van
  • Limy
    Free Member

Looking to replace my current estate car with something more economical. Currently have an MG ZTT 2.5 V6 which is killing me on petrol as doing about 50 miles a day just to work and back.

Been looking at VW transporters but want a low mileage one (<75k) which are coming in around £12k. Ideally want to spend less than this (around £8k max).

Also looked at Citron Berlingo's but missus hates them and says she will not go in it if i get one (+10 for berlingo's at the moment).

Anyone got any other ideas / suggestions?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Any big diesel estate and a boot liner will do the trick.

Mondeo, Vectra, Astra (current shape estate has a huge boot), Passat, etc, etc.

Otherwise check out less popular vans like the Vito and offerings from Vauxhall (Vivaro) and the like. If you can squeeze into a smaller van like a Caddy or a Transit Connect, these are also useful options.

amplebrew

I've got a Kangoo van with the DCi70 engine in it and it's really cheap to run.

It's a late 2006 model with all the bells and whistles (air-con/cd/ electric bits.) Cost £5000 inc VAT with 30k on it and a full Renault service history.

Been a really great van, although they aren't THAT big I suppose.

Just done a round trip of 1500 miles going to aviemore and back and it was comfy and did over 600 miles to a tank fully loaded with bikes, dogs and luggage and it's easy to drive and park.

You need to decide on what size van you need really and what your going to use it for.

I'd have loved a larger van, Transit / Vivaro etc; but the missus wouldn't drive them.

druidh
    Free Member

Multipla – and tell the wife she can wear a wig and specs

amplebrew

Not my Kangoo, but it looks exactly the same, even the colour.

Twin rear doors and a side loading door. It's got a solid bulkhead and no windows, so no-one can see in the back.

samuri
    Free Member

As per the other thread. Mondeo or Passat would be great. Both have **** enormous boots and the estates will be like a squash court. I've had a large roadbike with both wheels off in both a passat and mondeo saloon boot no problem with the seats still up.

Limy
    Free Member

Cheers for the ideas. I don't need a van for work or anything like that its purely just to transport the bikes in and then to get to and from work.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but related, what are your thoughts on the MG? They're pretty high up my list of next cars.

I'd appreciate some owner's thoughts. Maybe by email to keep your thread clear.

matthew@screamingjaffa.co.uk

Cheers

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£8k will get you alot of Ford Mondeo, bloody massive in size and 50mpg for the diesel, much better to drive than a van, and more day to day friendly

MisterT

I have a vw camper circa 1989 and it's ace. But is our 2nd vehicle and isn't great on fuel. If it's an every day van then you can't beat the fiat ducatto diesel thingy. Strong small van that all my building mates rely on and each one can take 6 bikes in the back (which we tested during our spring alps trip 2 weeks ago)

Del

FWIW i've had a road bike with both wheels still fitted in a clio, so i don't think that's much of a measure… 😛
    i'm looking in the direction of the peugot expert/citroen dispatch/fiat scudo. smaller than a transporter, cheaper, and long enough to make a sometime camper.

mugsys_m8

Has your wife seen the new berlingos? esp the xtr slightly off roady version? Lot more easier on the eye.
    And the XTR version is a lot more bike friendly (if looking at 5 seater rahter than 2 seater) as the rear seats are made of 3 individual seats which recline and are on independant quick release brackets.

MisterT

Oops When I said

fiat ducatto diesel thingy

what I actualy meant was a fiat doblo diesel thingy. Very different vans. The former being a barge the latter being a pocket rocket

Mackem

I find my Meriva to be economical and good for bikes. The back seats fold down flat individually, put them both down and i can get my bike in without taking anything off. And, its a car so comfy and quick enough.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a bike friendly car / van’ is closed to new replies.