Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Help me break into my car! 2010 honda crv
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

So first of all I am an idiot. Was doing some work on the car today (replacing egr valve) all great. As always working in and around battery I disconnected neg terminal. Forgot to tighten the pinch bolt. Locked the car and walked away smugly for a well earned pint of tea.

Went back to the car to grab something and would not open. No sign of life. I have a feeling the strain of the negative cable has popped the pinch bolt off the top of battery.

So no central locking.

This is the major problem…. I am parked tight against a wall. So tight I had to get out of the passenger door (easy in a crv).

I cannot get in the drivers door. Options are limited… Going to try see if I can hook the bonnet release open with a long stick and hook….

Any other ideas? Was thinking I could back feed power through starter motor positive terminal or try getting to bonnet release under the car (but its sealed and bloomin hard to get to without removing bumper which I can’t do anyway as need to get inside wheel arch which is jammed up against a wall)

Did I mention I am an idiot.

Other option is to try and drag car forward 2 meters so I can open door fully (with a beefy landy or something with some grunt)

Ta 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

If you can get it to Cannock somehow…

😛

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’d try YouTube first to see if there are any tips to get in your car

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Is there not a hidden keyhole on the passenger door? Maybe a piece of plastic pops off the door handle.

Or rather than trying to pop the bonnet with a long stick why don’t you open the passenger door with a long stick.

scaredypants

ignore – I’ve actually read the OP now 😳

m0rk
    Free Member

Can you open the boot & climb in?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Ha thanks guys yep cheers youtube has failed

Unfortunately the manual key entry point is on the drivers door wwpaddler but good idea about passenger door! Thing is I can only squeeze down the side of the car about half way 🙂 but could fabricate a bendy stick to see if I can grab it! May end up lying on the roof to try. My neighbours are going to think I am even more crazy

scaredypants

I’m led to believe that it’s possible to get a windscreen out intact from many cars (I’ve done it to a mini … 30 years ago)

scaredypants

trolley jack under the engine and drag it away from the wall ?

(or 2-3 strongish blokes to bounce it)

km79
    Free Member

See if you can find a biggerer one of these.

mtbfix

If all else fails, put the windscreen in and pay the small excess on your insurance?

cyclistm
    Free Member

In that case I’d go with the trolley jacks as above.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Or ring your local auto glass centre and ask which is the cheapest window to replace

teethgrinder

Civinfo might be able to help.

Or drag it.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Ha yeah trolley jack was a thought too…. Wondering if I can drag it forward. Handbrake is on but not on-on. Not me obviously but someone with a bigger car and tow rope. Only needs to move forward a couple meters

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Tried on civic forums…. However as usual for anything non bike related this place is awesome 🙂 single track honda forum 13, other Internet forums 0.

paule
    Free Member

Can you get to the handbrake cable under it and release/cut it to push the car forwards?

teethgrinder

Jack it up, two cheap skateboards under rear wheels. Then drag it push.

ski99

trolley jack under the rear, brick the OSF wheel first to stop it rolling forward, or can you get on the roof or bonnet and reach down to the lock?

If you can get the key into the lock, twist and hold it in the unlock position and see whether the windows will auto roll down.

jeffl

Handbrake is only on the rear wheels. So unless you’ve left it in gear or its an auto box you should be able to jack up the rear and pull it along. Saying that does the CRV have full time 4WD?

paule
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I once saw 3 blokes pick up the back and of a Sierra that was blocking a gate and wheel it out of the way, and I’ve seen a Fiat 126 turned 90 degrees in its parking space too.
    Get on the blower to your mates, just shuffle it away from the wall.

Either that or just smash a window and claim on your glass insurance. Done that…..!

As a family we once posted my younger brother through a window when we locked ourselves out of the house too. Child labour might do it!

Get creative!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

All good ideas thanks chaps

It’s a manual…. In neutral which is good.

Could probably get to handbrake adjuster and slacken off a bit… However don’t fancy doing this under the car as on a slight hill (could chock front wheels I guess)

It’s 2 wd most the time… Only switches to 4 when ecu detects slip or speed imbalance between wheels.

No power at all to open windows.

Will try fishing for bonnet release, door handle and employ the services of my 6 year old.

If all else fails I reckon dragging forward may be the next option or trolley jack!

Thanks again for taking the time to help all

ski99

we also use some wedges at work, 2 of, wooden, 6 inches long with a very gradual rise and insert them at the top-rear of the window frame to try and move it away from the frame enough to get some welding wire in far enough to pull the bonnet catch. Not ideal as there’s a risk of scratching and the paint.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Have you asked over on Pistonheads?

singletrackmind

Have you tried rocking the car whilst pressing the door open button on the fob?
    If the neutral cable is within a few mm of th battery it might just touch it for a second, and hey presto – doors open
    Otherwise its open the door a few inches and a coat hanger to pull the passenger door handle .Or very gently wedge the passenger door open from the top and pull the handle with a looped wire
    I take it you have the key and fob, its just so close to the wall even with the key you cant open the door so its B and E

dknwhy

Smash the rear quarter light window. Pay windscreen claim excess. Shouldn’t affect your Ncd.

Northwind

carthieftrackworld.

You might have a good window to break. Like, on my mondeo, the small window in the rear doors is very cheap to buy and fits in about 5 minutes with 2 torq bolts. Couldn’t be simpler, no seals or glazing tools or special skills required. I feel like this might be useful knowledge again in the future… You may have an equivalent.

Clover

The RAC once broke into my car for me. I’d left my key fob on the driver seat and my dog had jumped on it.

RAC chap didn’t damage vehicle – are you covered?

aP
    Free Member

Why not just bounce it out from the wall?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Someone broke into an old Golf I had by cutting the rubber surround with a stanley knife and then lifting window out.

Bonnet releases usually designed with a certain amount of anti-theft

As above bounce it away from the wall

bigyim
    Free Member

I’d be phoning some mates to bounce the car or drag it forward.
    If you are in the aa or rac they will have inflatable bags to open the door frames up and gain access

Saccades
    Free Member

Beware of northwinds advice, because on a Rover 200 that is the most expensive window to replace.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can you get a few trolley jacks, jack it up and move it away from the wall?

T1000
    Free Member

Put a blanket and a sheet of board on the roof, climb on and reach down…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Coat hanger through the grill and manually trigger the catch for the bonnet ? Or does that only work because my cars are ancient 🙂

whatgoesup

Are you totally sure there isn’t a bit if trim on the door handle you can pop tonreveal a hidden lock barrel on the passenger side?

Above ideas re moving the car seem good if you can.

One option if you’re confident to figure stuff out is to use jump leads to another car or battery,and working from the underside (prob have to remove plastic undertray) feed power in via suitable points.attach the positve to somewhere like the alternator +ve (do some research on this first I’m making this up whilst sitting in a kiddie soft play…..) and the negative to a suitable chassis ground. Connect to the battery / other car LAST – you don’t want to be under the car if you accidentally engage the starter motor for example!

zanelad
    Free Member

Or very gently wedge the passenger door open from the top and pull the handle with a looped wire

I watched and RAC guy do this to a friend’s brand new Sharan when the key was left in the car and it self locked.

Quite scary how easy it was to do and how much of a gap could be made without breaking anything.

sadexpunk

also done this a few times at work. made me think of trying to cobble together something a bit easier to use than a coathanger.
    such a tool may well exist already, if anyone knows of something please feel free to linky 🙂

ta

Free Member

You know that thin semi-rigid nylon tape on some cardboard boxes? Get some of that.

Put your knee just below the passenger door window, put your fingers (both hands) at the top of the door, pull outwards to expand the gap, ask a.n.other person to push the tape (which is folded in half, so person holds both ends, loop goes inside the car) into the car. Wiggle and jiggle it to grab the door catch.

If that isn’t possible or doesn’t work, pull the door away from the car far enough to get your arm in.

Once open, bend it back, touch up the paint.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Help me break into my car! 2010 honda crv’ is closed to new replies.