Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help!! Hole in my tyre, is it kaput?
  • roundwheels
    Free Member

With all the tubeless tyres about today, is there a glue/kit/patch available to fix it? Or is bucket time :(. Thanks

amedias
    Free Member

is there a glue/kit/patch available to fix it?

yes, google for ‘tubeless tyre patch /repair kit’

depends on how big the hole is, most can be patched easily, and even bigger ones can often be sewn up with dental floss and then patched too. Don’t despair unless it’s a proper big gash or along the bead.

Do you have a pic of the hole?

roundwheels
    Free Member

It middle of the tyre, about 15mm, dental floss? For this size?

amedias
    Free Member

15mm? I’d just patch that with a sturdy patch and see how it goes first.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve not had a great deal of success with patches, as they either tend to bulge through the tear or refuse to stick to the inside of the tyre.

But don’t let me put you off. You could patch the tyre, sew with dental floss or stout fishing line and refill with sealant and it could well be absolutely fine.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve not had a great deal of success with patches, as they either tend to bulge through the tear or refuse to stick to the inside of the tyre.

The not sticking is normally a problem with not getting the inside of the tyre completely clean and free of contaminants, but moulding marks and ridges can make it trickier sometimes too. Make sure you clean out any old sealant and cleaner residue and then let it properly dry out.

The bulging can be an issue on thinner carcass tyres, what I’ve done in the past is a multi-patch approach. Use a smaller patch over the hole, thena bigger one over the top of that, often does the trick, you can also try a ‘flexible sandwich’ approach if you can find a decent non-stretch material to do smallpatch-sandwich-bigpatch, but it doesn’t always work.

sew with dental floss or stout fishing line and refill with sealant and it could well be absolutely fine.

The worst one I’ve repaired is a gash about 50mm long in the sidewall of a Spesh Control casing. Stiched up with floss, liberally super-glued, and then patched on the inside, still holds air well over a year later.

Tracey

We have used these for years, never had a problem with them, got a job lot from ebay

roundwheels
    Free Member

Tracey, you have a link to those things?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help!! Hole in my tyre, is it kaput?’ is closed to new replies.