Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helmet lights – recommendations please
  • shmoo
    Free Member

Hi, Am looking at doing more night rides in the near future and want to buy a helmet light to complement my bar light.

I currently have a cheap CREE 900 lumens lights on the bars and it works fine, but feel I want a light on my helmet as well.

I like the look (and weight) of the exposure joystick but it’s quite pricey, anyone with any experience/ recommendations of these or alternatives.

cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

Gloworm X1 or X2 from Danny(Neninja) at CRG Moto, tiny unit with one hell of a beam (with optional lenses included).

bartimaeus
    Free Member

A 501b XML2 or XML-U3 torch… about £10-15, Older XML-T6 501bs are about £8 (I have three!).

You’ll need an 18650 cell, or two (about £2.50 each but free if you have access to old laptop batteries), a charger (£5) and a mount (£2).

Future upgrades to the newest technology are then very cheap… I may buy an XML2 for next winter (£15 for the latest LED – can’t be bad).

shmoo
    Free Member

Cheers for your replies.

The Gloworm looks to be too much light and certainly too much money.

I’m still tempted by the Joystick (or other Exposure light) or the NiteRider Minewt Mini 300 – USB PLUS. What do folks think to these?

cheers

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Mtbbatteries XML does a more than good enough job for me. Bright enough that I was able to ride a new descent at decent clip on sight and light enough that I don’t get neck ache on the way round.

variflex
    Free Member

gloworm x1 +1
    cheaper than a joystick and much more throw.
    I have an exposure maxxd on bars and x1 on lid and its perfect.
    comment ref cost of gloworm vs joystick is daft as a new joystick is £140+ vs x1 with 200 more useable lumens at £125

Cheezpleez

Joysticks are overpriced and underpowered IMO. I’ve used XML torches in the past and they were much better and a tenth of the price. I now have an mtb batteries Lumenator, which is excellent.

z1ppy

I am a fan of the XML unit, but the like of the big manufacturers do make lights that are more ‘all rounded’ outputs. I had thought the joystick overpriced and underpowered, but having been leant one on a demo, the light was a lot more useable (beam) light than the very spotty (but very bright) XML units I’ve tried. If you can get the likes of the joystick at a reduced price, I think they are very good light (but I ain paying RRP),
    That said a dual XML unit addresses the spottiness issue & is still crap loads cheaper than even a reduced Exposure

shmoo
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry forgot to say, I wouldn’t pay full RRP for joystick, would be trying to get a cheap one through Fleabay

I’m guessing no-one seems to rate the MiNewt lights

stevemorg2

I’ve got a Gloworm X2 set up I’m thinking about selling – PM me (address in profile) if interested

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helmet lights – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.