Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)
  • Have we upset our mates?
  • nonk
    Free Member

simon is a top poster in my view. someone with whom you agree whole heartedly one day and think that he's a c*ck the next.what more can you possibly ask from a forum regular?

Kramer
    Free Member

The breastfeeding proponents are very good at making otherwise adequate mothers feel depressed.

It is also a very class based thing, middle class mothers tend to, and feel guilty about it when they can't, mothers from the lower socio-economic classes tend not to, and not feel so guilty about it. There is a definite element of snobbery amongst some middleclass parents who manage to breast feed their offspring until weaning, with a certain competitive element imagining that in some way there are huge benefits to their children, where there aren't.

Breast feeding is very important in the third world where clean water to make formula milk is hard to come by, in this country, the advantage is not so great. It is debatable how long you have to breast feed for for your child to accrue the benefits, but it's probably not a huge length of time (I think somewhere from 6 weeks to 3 months from memory).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I had no idea evolution was so quick

Chuck used the word "evolve" which a quick check in my dictionary suggests the it means "to develop gradually"

Now I vaguely remember something from a childhood biology lesson which iirc, stated that the sex of a foetus is determined at the moment of conception – something to do with XX and XY chromosomes I believe. The sexual organs then gradually develop accordingly.

All of which would suggest that Chuck is correct and you are wrong SFB. Of course on the other hand I might be wrong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChuckPalahnuip
    Free Member

^^^At last, some sense around here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

All if which would suggest that Chuck is correct and you are wrong SFB

sorry, the default human form is female, and without the hormones triggered by the Y chromosome that's what develops – though note that some genetic males have a defect in their androgen (male making) sensitivity that causes them to develop a superficially normal female body although they possess rudimentary testicles (like that African athlete in the news last month perhaps).

BTW are you saying 2 heads isn't normal ??

Kramer
    Free Member

It's possible for an XY genotype person to exhibit XX phenotype characteristics – hermaphrodytism. As ever, what you were taught at school was vastly oversimplyfied.

zaskar
    Free Member

Learn something new everyday on stw!

Caster eh?

NZCol

bitty ?

ChuckPalahnuip
    Free Member

Can we get back on topic please?

nonk
    Free Member

The breastfeeding proponents are very good at making otherwise adequate mothers feel depressed.

It is also a very class based thing, middle class mothers tend to, and feel guilty about it when they can't, mothers from the lower socio-economic classes tend not to, and not feel so guilty about it. There is a definite element of snobbery amongst some middleclass parents who manage to breast feed their offspring until weaning, with a certain competitive element imagining that in some way there are huge benefits to their children, where there aren't.

Breast feeding is very important in the third world where clean water to make formula milk is hard to come by, in this country, the advantage is not so great. It is debatable how long you have to breast feed for for your child to accrue the benefits, but it's probably not a huge length of time (I think somewhere from 6 weeks to 3 months from memory).

Every last bit of this post is total sh*te.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can we get back on topic please?

I assumed we'd sucked all the flavour out of that…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

hermaphodytism

Yeah I think we were talking about the "norm". I believe that 1 in 10,000 people are born with their organs the "wrong" way round, but I still think it's correct to say that humans have their hearts on the left side.

"BTW are you saying 2 heads isn't normal ?? "

Well it all depends SFB ……. how many heads do the other members of your family have ?

sodafarls
    Free Member

What about those individuals with their "organs" on their head?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

babe

your self-satisfied preciousness makes me feel completely:

😡

Kramer
    Free Member

nonk – on what are you basing that comment?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah I think we were talking about the "norm".

and the norm is that half the default female-form bodies develop slightly differently to become obviously male. It's interesting that embryology recapitulates phylogeny, and we start off as a ball of cells which then elongates to form a small worm, then a gilled form with a tail, then the fins develop into limbs and the tail is mostly reabsorbed. Sexual differentiation takes place only after a small ape form has developed 🙂

sodafarls
    Free Member

"the tail is mostly reabsorbed."

Speak for yourself mate!

HOHOHOHHHHHOHOHOHHOHOH!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

the norm is that half the default female-form bodies develop slightly differently to become obviously male.

Which imo sounds remarkably like :

" we are all female for a while in the womb, and only a chosen minority then evolve into males before birth."

In other words, the comment which Chuck made and you chose to challenge 😕

DrP

The condition whereas a genotypical/genetic male appears phenotypically female is know as 'testicular feninisation'.
    hermaphrodites are different – they have both male and female reproductive organs.

Now, for 10 points can anyone name me a famous 'testicular female' at all? Quick clue – she looks dead hot in true lies…….

DrP

thejesmonddingo

Calm down,calm down.
    Ian

Random posting 3122

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

and we start off as a ball of cells which then elongates to form a small worm, then a gilled form with a tail, then the fins develop into limbs and the tail is mostly reabsorbed. Sexual differentiation takes place only after a small ape form has developed

erm… can I be sick AGAIN now..! Euguuuughhh… Babies are just not right. At all. 😕

toomanybikes
    Free Member

how very modern………..he texts you to tell you he's upset about your wifes blog

whatever happened to just phoning up, asking what the **** she was on about, and clearing it all up there and then……….texting…..i suppose he even complained in text speak!

samuri
    Free Member

not Tia Carrere?

HTTP404
    Free Member

sfb –

I humbly apologise for the horrors inflicted upon humanity by arrogant programmers (of which I am one)

I've just caught up with your posts this morning – are you being a deliberate parody of Mr Logic?

allthepies
    Free Member

I would imagine he really thinks/writes/talks like that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and only a chosen minority then evolve into males before birth."

well, I'd also question "chosen" as it's a fairly random process, and "minority" a it's thankfully roughly 50/50, but my point was that this is not the normal species evolution where genetic change takes place through mutation but merely the expression of the already formed genotype. They are both gradual changes but one is many millions of times slower than the other

I would imagine he really thinks/writes/talks like that.

more or less, except one has more time to pick the exact words in the written form

erm… can I be sick AGAIN now..! Euguuuughhh… Babies are just not right. At all.

alarming as it may seem, under our relatively inoffensive skins we are made of meat, bone and an alarming variety of slimes, jellies, tubes and stringy bits. Amazingly all that stuff clings together in a more or less coherent whole for a lifetime.

nonk
    Free Member

kramer.
    Just real life stuff like being raised in a caravan and being breast fed not at all middle class.A mrs that breast fed and somehow found away not to make any other mothers feel bad.the fact that groth charts for babies are all over the show as they used formular fed babies as the mean and low and behold they are little fatties.And some science stuff about how they are mre prone to obesity but to be fair i tend not to read to much into that stuff as it forms your opinions for you and turns you into someone that spouts sh*te with confidence. 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

well, I'd also question "chosen" as it's a fairly random process, and "minority" a it's thankfully roughly 50/50, but my point was that this is not the normal species evolution where genetic change takes place through mutation but merely the expression of the already formed genotype. They are both gradual changes but one is many millions of times slower than the other

Why don't you just say "embryo develop, species evolve"?

chosen minority then evolve

I wouldn't be happy to see this terminology on any scientific paper.
    Well done sfb. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Now, for 10 points can anyone name me a famous 'testicular female' at all?

from what I've found that is an unsubstantiated urban legend

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why don't you just say "embryo develop, species evolve"?

cheers, I wish I'd just said that too 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Haha this thread has taken an interesting tangent. 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

Ok nonk, well I'm basing it on my experience in paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology, my reading and understanding of the research, and conversations with colleagues and close friends, one of whom is a neonatologist.

The comment about mothers being made to feel guilty is based on having seen and treated quite a few mothers with post natal depression, not helped by their feelings of guilt at not being able to breast feed.

The comment about class and breast feeding is well documented in this country.

The comment about most of the advantages of breast feeding being in third world countries without access to clean water is also well documented.

The correlation with formula feeds and obesity is not as clear cut as the advocates like to make out, and the effect also comes quite early on.

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages in breast feeding, but they're not as huge as some like to say, and there has been little proof of much benefit past six months, probably more like three months.

nonk
    Free Member

mate i dont care how well documented it is.
    i dont care who has what job title and says this so it must be true.
    my real life day to day experience of it does not correlate.
    i live in north west wales most of my mates have kids most of them dont have a pot to piss in and most of them breast feed.
    i dont see middle class mums breast feeding i see them pointlessly f*cking about with steralizer bottle kits in starbucks.
    ooh what do you think dear is it the right temp? dont know but the stuff in your nork is just right.
    of course folks in third world countrys breastfeed.why wouldnt they.
    surely the qaulity and benefits of the milk are dependant on the mothers diet. so who has control the formular factory or you.
    seing as you are so well connected in this area maybee you could show me how formular stands up next to colostrum as i notice this little part of the issue is never considered.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Amazing, from someone taking umbrage to a blog to human foetal development in under 4 pages. Only on STW!!!

teagirl
    Free Member

At risk of being blasted for oversimplification, the female of the species evolved with the ability to produce children, produce hormones that stimulate milk production and an innate sense to nurture. They have 'tooters' to feed babies and supply a high quality product. Breast feeding is amazing at bonding with your baby with the 'let-down' reflex gushing love and pints of milk. I fed my 3 for varying lengths of time, my last for 16 months as he failed to thrive when we started weaning. He knew the good stuff. Bf for as long as your baby wants it, (prob not to bitty stage tho'!) they tend to stop themselves when there's a choice of food and drink. Don't put time limits on feeding, relax about it. Formula milk has it's place but it's not natural. It's (British) society's perceptions about breast feeding that requires examination and the free milk scheme should be reviewed. Midwives and Health visitors IMHO don't encourage what come naturally, tick a box on a form and run with it. BF takes time and IME women don't feed as they want to return to work, go out and resume a life they had before kids. They are also put under pressure from other family, friends which is just wrong. I accept some women can't feed.

Nestle, and formula milk in the 3rd world, ask yourself why they push it. Profit?

I could go on……

flippinheckler
    Free Member

This thread is really getting on my tits now! 🙄

nonk
    Free Member

shakes teagirl firmly by the hand.

HTTP404
    Free Member

This thread is really getting on my tits now!

Well, it's a very sensitive area. 🙂

We could move the debate onto disposable nappies? NCT classes? Nature vs nurture? Cranial massage and the merits of a bug-a-boo?

zaskar
    Free Member

Lets talk about bikes! cycles to the other forum…

loco_pollo
    Free Member

If nothing else I find your wife's writing style extremely grating. "Babe", "mummies", what the ****, is she 5 years old?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Have we upset our mates?’ is closed to new replies.