Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Have we done this month's MBUK cover yet?
  • BoardinBob

Surely a candidate for best face ever!

Doddy looks like a man experiencing a simultaneous combination of the vinegar strokes and following through on a big fart

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yes it's been done.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I think he may have spilt some rad on his stem there.

BoardinBob

He also looks as though he's just finished painting and decorating 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

Yup it's been done. Something along the lines of:

– Steve Peat monumentally wins the World Champs after years of being the nearly man.
    – Do MBUK honour this achievement by putting Sir Steve on cover?
    – No they put Doddy, angry sex face and all

cannondaleking
    Free Member

i meet doddy a couple of years back its gotta be said he is a mongo and bored me with his "you gotta ride this on one of these or you just havn't ridden" speach 🙄 but when it comes to riding he's not that good either i live in flat xc suffolk but for 6 years i was riding when i was in the navy all over the place and found many like him i call them the gurner's to qualify you need to

1. have all the latest fashion. (not gear)
    2. be an ok but nothing like pete's standard rider.
    3. read a lot of mbuk and belive everything you read on blind faith.
    4. look at others who ride differnt to you in a your not doing it the right way as it says in the magazine 😆

nedrapier

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I saw it, laughed and thought it was a piss-take response to the recent criticism of people gurning in mtb mag cover shots.

I mean look at it, it's got to be a piss-take, right?

Hasn't it?

epicyclo

If you lip read you can see he's yelling "You're not supposed to pass me on a posty's bike"

Coyote
    Free Member

I did wander over to the MBUK forum to investigate this (sad, I know but in my defence I am unemployed and therefore have too much time on my hands. Bit like a pensioner but with all my faculties.) I posted that it might have been nice to recognise Sir Steve's acheivements and got this reply from the self-styled King of the Gurners himself:

"Peaty was on the cover just a few issues back on 241, and we held the last issue back from going to print to put the celebratory band round the cover to honour Steve.
    With the 2010 products and kit being shown off at trade shows, we opted to go for a 2010 themed cover on a brand new bike and kit…"

ojom
    Free Member

I am with Nedrapier. He could be taking the p*ss…

Anyway – if you dont like it you dont have to buy it. Its maybe not aimed at your demographic.

philsimm
    Free Member

With the 2010 products and kit being shown off at trade shows, we opted to go for a 2010 themed cover on a brand new bike and kit…"

= advertising money means more than recognising Peatys achievement
    🙄

IdleJon

There was me thinking that the cover photo was actually Owen Wilson's character from Zoolander..

santacruzsi
    Free Member

MBUK is all about Doddy, he's on every page virtually. I've never met him etc but he does my head in.

matt_outandabout

Has he looked in a mirror at what he is wearing? 😯

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is his outfit off of the 80's?

matt_outandabout

Jim-jams from the 80's I think.
    Does this mean luminous is back in? *goes hunting for those really, really bad luminous beach shorts he has hidden somewhere*

bananaworld
    Free Member

I'll get lynched for this, but in that hideous kit and with that expression he looks a bit like Hans Rey, back in the day…

vdubber67
    Free Member

As I read somewhere, they went for the world chump rather than the world champ….

t-p26
    Free Member

Doddy?

Oh you mean the "chinless gimp"!

ojom
    Free Member

Bit mean isnt it – the slagging of someone who probably gets a lot of kids into a sport and helps grow it. He is a decent guy i am sure.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit mean isnt it – the slagging of someone who probably gets a lot of kids into a sport and helps grow it. He is a decent guy i am sure.

Agreed, feel free to slate his clothes and mock his silly facial expression – but he didn't choose to put himself on the cover.

And he's a good writer, he knows how to communicate with readers, and you can't say that about everybody who contributes to ST (just for example).

lochlassie
    Free Member

I thought it was women who were supposed to be bitchy…!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Puurrleese.. 🙄

walleater

Agreed, feel free to slate his clothes and mock his silly facial expression – but he didn't choose to put himself on the cover.

The look of a rubber chicken blowing it's load.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

According to Urbandictionary.com:

1. doddy
    The word used to describe someone that has a bent cock.
    e.g. "holy sh1t man, you've got a doddy!"

Fairly apt, I thought.. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

= advertising money means more than recognising Peatys achievement

Magazine in 'trying to make a viable business' shocker. Crikey there are some whiney people out there. Yes the cover looks very silly, but if you can ignore some of the silly dudespeak/attitude, mbuk is probably more interesting to read than stw half the time imo.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Magazine in 'trying to make a viable business' shocker.

Aren't they already the market leader? They could easily have put Peaty on the cover and not lost a sov.

grumm
    Free Member

Didn't they put a big band round the cover with Peaty on it last month? I agree that one of Doddy is a crap cover photo but all this talk of 'not celebrating Peaty's achievement' is ridiculous.

Jamie
    Free Member

Crikey there are some whiney people out there.on STW.

Fixed that for you.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not sure it it's being whiney tbh.

Other sports celebrate their champions to the heavens and make sure that the achievements are recognised. To be fair I wouldn't expect anything from MBR and What MTB as they are little more than badly written catalogues. Neither would I expect ST to celebrate it as Steve Peat just isn't niche enough. MBUK is the market leader (accept it) and I would have expected more coverage of what is a truly great achievement.Don't get me wrong, I like MBUK. I find it reasonably entertaining with a good and varied content. However I really think they've missed a trick and as for the displaying 2010 kit and bike, purlease… Can't even recognise the bike unless you look really closely.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I am 49 years old today. I have been too old to read MBUK for at least 19 years.

Dr_Bakes

I'm too old for MBUK on a normal basis but bought it last month as I anticipated having some time to sit around and read while my wife gave birth (how wrong was I in that assumption!). Anyway, as has been said above, they held the issue in order that they could put a celebratory band around the issue in Peaty's honour and also had an article inside. They acknowledged the achievement a month before the other mags, albeit due to good timing, so lets give them some credit?! If they'd slapped it on the front of this month's mag no doubt some would be criticising them for churning out the same old repetitive rubbish month in month out when we all know that is MBR's USP!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this month's MBUK cover yet?’ is closed to new replies.