Home Forums Bike Forum Have we done the piles of carbon frames yet?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Have we done the piles of carbon frames yet?
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

because
    12316389_1081441918573374_2032366779866533971_n by Bicycle Manufacturing[/url], on Flickr

wwaswas

I did but I think I got away with it.

eddie11
    Free Member

what are you showing me here?

mickmcd
    Free Member

the chinese aerobie champion ……its making a comeback

Home

julians
    Free Member

Er hate to break it to you but those are wheels not frames

shermer75
    Free Member

Stockpiling 26″ wheels for when they make a comeback

dantsw13

If you click on that photo stream, the previous photo is a pile of carbon frames :cry:

oldnpastit

Are those wheels that failed quality control waiting to be dumped into landfill somewhere?

Makes you wonder about the effect our leisure pastime will be having on future generations.

bikebouy
    Free Member

World hula hoop King wishes he’d kept his “bestest” hoop, and now can’t find it????

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are those wheels that failed quality control waiting to be dumped into landfill somewhere?

But everyone knows Chinese carbon has no QC.

Makes you wonder about the effect our leisure pastime will be having on future generations.

Presumably they incinerate it. You can also recycle the carbon into other uses, like the reinforced plastics used in injection moulding.

12366420_1081441928573373_4253173553131209161_n by Bicycle Manufacturing[/url], on Flickr

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

They should bury it, if dinosaurs ‘n’ shit can make oil, imagine the awesome stuff carbonz will create in a few million years!!

mickmcd
    Free Member

it will turn into diamondz innit

mtbtom
    Free Member

I don’t really have a good feel for how polluting carbon fibre is. Kind of understand (roughly) the process and the energy involved in mining iron ore, making steel and producing a frame. Also understand how it can be recycled.

But have no idea for carbon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yeah, but cheap stuff is teh coolnezz. Where’s the cheapest I can get some ENVE wheels? Don’t care if they’re faked, knocked up in some dirty little sweatshop by little slave kids. I just want cheap stuff. NOW, DAMMIT.

:|

Daffy

In order to re-use carbon, you first have to burn off the resin, then chop the fibre strands. Carbon is a horrendous material when it comes to end of life.

mick_r

Really concerns me where automotive firms are now getting excited about using carbon in body panels – sort of hoped they’d remember the problems with piles of scrap Trabant shells…..

Whereas I visited a foundry and there was a huge pile of steel scrap trucked in to go straight in the pot.

And an aluminium extrusion plant where they had a remelt facility for ALL of their scrap.

igm

I though carbon frames were about 95% recyclable – could be wrong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

People are concerned about the environmental impact of carbon bike frames…really?

Compared to what else is happening?

slowoldman

Compared to what else is happening?

Like those nice eco friendly batteries for hybrid cars.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Carbon is a horrendous material when it comes to end of life.

Better than being stuck to Oxygen in the atmosphere?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I though carbon frames were about 95% recyclable – could be wrong

In theory perhaps but cost of doing anything with them is prohibitive. IMO steel or Alu is better value as it lasts much longer

Those frames/wheels are piled up for future sale/use, no ?

cookeaa

Environmental impact is relative when it comes to engineering materials, steel and aluminium alloys aren’t exactly noted for being green choices…

yes the visual of a massive pile of rejected carbon parts is a great way to illustrate waste, it might also be viewed as demonstration that QC inspections are effective at this particular factory?

Recycling most materials is uneconomic, hence all the landfill, basically you can’t have it both ways, either you get low impact products with minimal wastage at a premium, or you can pay less but help stamp all over the planet… What’s your honest preference?

chakaping

Yeah for all we know that’s 10 years worth of rejects.

And I’m encouraged to see evidence of a QC process.

Might also give a hint why carbon is so pricey, if there is a higher reject rate then other materials. Not that you can conclude that from a couple of pictures with no context of course

bigjim

Better than being stuck to Oxygen in the atmosphere?

It’s a nice sentiment but seeing as each of us here emits over ten tons of CO2 into the atmosphere a year it’s a fraction of a small drop in a big ocean!

deadkenny
    Free Member

This isn’t the tip, this is the stockroom. This is where your ebay carbon stuff comes from :P

scotroutes

It’s a nice sentiment but seeing as each of us here emits over ten tons of CO2 into the atmosphere a year it’s a fraction of a small drop in a big ocean![/quote]Are you suggesting we need to start buying (lots) more carbon bikes and wheels?
    :lol:

deadkenny
    Free Member

Trees eat CO2. Could we just feed carbon frames to trees? :D

(yeah, I know it’s C not CO2 ;) – and a pile of resin ).

tomhoward

I always wondered what Hora’s back garden looked like.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Recycling most materials is uneconomic, hence all the landfill, basically you can’t have it both ways, either you get low impact products with minimal wastage at a premium, or you can pay less but help stamp all over the planet… What’s your honest preference?

IIRC the only material that’s economic to recycle (and by inference as money = energy, the only one that makes sense from a CO2 perspective) is glass. Which ironically is a material best suited to be re-used, but for some reason we melt it down and make new bottles rather than just washing them.

And even after that, your car emits more CO2 driving to the bottle bank, than would be saved by recycling a crate of bottles.

retro83
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

I always wondered what Hora’s back garden looked like.

:-)

Early contender for post of the week.

Speshpaul

Bloody hell Rotherham has cleaned itself up.

pinched off the other thread

scaredypants

It’s a nice sentiment but seeing as each of us here emits over ten tons of CO2 into the atmosphere a year it’s a fraction of a small drop in a big ocean!

I think you’re confusing CO2 and methane :oops:

bigjim

If you’re producing ten tons of methane you should go to the doctor!

winston
    Free Member

To answer cookieaa my honest answer would be to pay a premium for environmentally sound products – I’d be suprised if that wasn’t a fairly common viewpoint from most on this forum. Also, if one material was shown to me to be vastly worse on the environment than another similar performing one then I would stop buying the former.

Many people on here (myself included) seem to be ignorant of the issues surrounding carbon reuse. This is something that needs addressing – something that I would actually by a magazine like Singletrack to read about. Sadly such an article would probably sit badly with the companies that fund such magazines….

deadkenny
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    IIRC the only material that’s economic to recycle (and by inference as money = energy, the only one that makes sense from a CO2 perspective) is glass. Which ironically is a material best suited to be re-used, but for some reason we melt it down and make new bottles rather than just washing them.

My local council says glass we chuck in the recycling bin generally gets crushed up and stuck into road aggregate. Can’t see that being very environmentally friendly. One time reuse rather than constant recycling as glass, and goes towards building more roads, thus more CO2.

kimbers

Like those nice eco friendly batteries for hybrid cars.

I thought these tea party/ telegraph myths had been dispelled

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Have we done the piles of carbon frames yet?’ is closed to new replies.