Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • dobo
    Free Member

The Harrow way section above Whitchurch/Overton is lovely at the moment

Where exactley is this harrow way section? Got any directions or GPS routes from stockbridge or Sutton Scotney? need to expand 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where exactley is this harrow way section? Got any directions or GPS routes from stockbridge or Sutton Scotney? need to expand

From SS or Stockers, you say?

Well, would need to get in to my maps properly, but as a pointer, the bit I was referring to runs from (or to, depending on where you start!) due North of Home Farm in Laverstoke, running NNEish towards a crossing with the B3051 just North of Overton station, then on towards Ashe Warren House. Worth heading from there towards North Oakley, NNW towards Walkeridge Farm as well.

frogstomp

Here you go.. the singletrack is either side of the doubletrack on square 51 I think.. from west to east it starts off on the RHS then continues on the LHS shortly after it emerges back onto the track. The second section has one or two small and badly maintained jumps which are rollable / avoidable.

There’s also a little stretch (RHS) on the section after the B3051 crossing.

The end of the Portway that emerges at Clap Gate is worth a blat if you’re over there..

Link for bigger picture..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dobo
    Free Member

thanks CFH, couldnt find it on some outdoormap/openstreet map thing, The notes got me there but the o/s map is certainly easier to see, thanks frogstomp
    Just need to figure a route out from stockbridge now to do some exploring. If you know of anything else worth trying between stockers and whichchurch/overton, let me know, ill get this linked up in next few weeks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks for that link, Froggy. I can see my house on it! 😀

Dobo, will have a look at my maps for you. Not sure there’s much that’s not a footpath or road North of Barton Stacey.

(Still, if you’re over towards Stockers, you have Becky’s, Robinson’s and the ever delectable Rachel at the wine shop, so it’s not all bad!)

daftvader
    Free Member

Well I’ve been out again this evening, 24miles of lovely night riding . Only problem with riding in the dark is that the photos are crap!!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I finally got out to ride my gravel lap of winchester; so here you are :D.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6036963

couple of detours but i’ve fixed the route now.

Ben: there is another tree to the west on church lane – so it must be deliberate…

cinnamon_girl

Well done Tom, that was some route! Roughly how much road compared to off road?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice looking route, intrigued to hear the answer to CG’s question above….!

Especially intrigued as my new bike arrives at the LBS on Tuesday and it’s a not telling you yet!

😀

cinnamon_girl

Tom – can I also ask what tyres and width?

Cap’n – shall expect pics on Tuesday then! 😀

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

That’s a good loop Tom 🙂
    Rode a chunk of that Thursday night looking for a pub with an open kitchen!
    Cross/gravel bikes are fantastic round here, they open up Hampshire for big mixed terrain rides like Tom’s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s a not telling you yet!

i’ll put a fiver on you going AWOL. 😉

running 47c smart sams at the moment. love the volume but they are too draggy. the other options i have are sb8 (35c)even more draggy! or marathon racers in 35c which are great but too thin; you have to increase the pressure too high to prevent pinch flats on the rear.
    I’m hoping to experiment with conti speedrides next… sorry fully fledged rubber fetishist!

60/40 on:off road looking at os map, which sounds about right.

daftvader
    Free Member

Still riding in the dark here…. Not much to report, other than the fact that it is dark, getting colder and one of my tyres is currently held together with half a scratch card!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been hacking the road for the last 3 days, in interval training as my first CX event isn’t too far away and I’ve also the Lakeland Monster the week after next..
    The roads, well they’re roads (rather lanes) and still as lovely as ever. Coming into my favourite season now and you can tell some trees are just starting to fall. Temp’s still up in the 20’s but been quite humid so a bit confusing as to what to wear out riding.. 😕
    The more I ride the coast here the more folks I see out on bikes, down in the flat lands next to the sea it’s an easy poodle, but it does make me wonder if anyone ventures north of the M27 these days 😆
    Todays 4 hr hack around Steep/East Meon/Privett/High Cross loops (may fave because there are some brutal climbs) and I didn’t see another bike’ist out, which was really disappointing. I get the feeling some days like it’s back in the old days when cycling wasn’t fashionable.
    Great pint in the Flower Pots last night, funnily enough the Landlord was in fine chatty form (which is a revelation if you know the FPots)
    Hey ho, rest day tomorrow and a walk in amongst the forests and brackish waters of the Western Solent.

Hampshire rocks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thomthumb,

dobo
    Free Member

Nice ride Thom, i’ll have to check some of that out. also thanks for posting a ridewithgps link as just realised the mapping is better on that than strava.

heres one i just uploaded wich takes in a fair amount of off road

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3531709

fairly hilly and maybe more suitable for an mtb in places as fairly bumpy but got round ok on cx & landcruisers, thank lordy for mini v’s 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dobo, thanks for that my parents live in Kings Sombourne and I’ve just left a bike there so will give your route a try.

beesey

I passed a guy in an orange jersey near Littleton this afternoon. Wondering if they are a fellow Hampshire rider?

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Hi Daftvader,

missed your comments about cliddesden to alton and back a month ago. Would be good to meet up with some of the people from this thread. We’ll have to sort out a time to do that, before the mud sets in.

Out of interest, what night/s do you normally ride on? I only normally go out at night due to kid commitments, normally Tuesdays and occasionally Fridays/Saturdays. There is a normally a group of us out on Tuesday nights. I’m based in Froyle, but we start all over Hampshire (and occasionally Surrey), but don’t mind travelling a little way.

Selborne was riding great last week, I recommend trying this area for anyone who hasn’t ridden there. I can export the GPX, or produce a PDF of the OS Map if anyone is interested in the route.
    Selborne Ride

HantsNightRider

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was up over Steep the other day, riding nice it was.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Steep, Is that Ashford Hangers / Shoulder of Mutton? or is there other stuff more towards Steep?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Steep nr Selborne… (Gilbert Whites house Selborne)

I ride it a lot, a few good bridleways up/over the hills and out towards Selborne through Proir Dean then back over the top to Froxy then to Otterborne. Love climbing, you certainly put yourself through it up there.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ride in the dark tonight with BigShep. Great fun and a little hairy when you realise the corner you thought you were at, was the next one not the one you were just about to go round which was sharper and had a big tree root to negotiate.

garage-dweller

HNR it was riding nicely up there a few weeks back when we were there. The drop down from Noar Hill is lovely.

cinnamon_girl

Hampshire Countryside Access Plan

This may be of interest, it’s a very short questionnaire.

www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/access-plans.htm

daftvader
    Free Member

hi HNR.. i normally ride on a Tuesday evenings as well, for the same reasons too! generally tho i only do 10 -12 miles as i have to be in work at 6am the next day, which after a 25 mile epic is a little draining… but the Tuesday thing is movable. if i fancy doing a bigger distance i usually try and do it before my day off… drop me a line on the email and it’d be great to meet, some of the routs round this way aren’t that challenging but are fairly fun

edit… CG are you feeling fit enough to meet for a midweek slow ride? just returning to ss so i wont be at all fast!

cinnamon_girl

A little shakedown ride in the Test Valley, 10 miles max was all I could manage!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh Shiney !!

That is a proper nice looking bike right there.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Lovely bike CG. I’d love a Sync myself, just not in 29 as they currently offer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Suppose I should include a pic of my new bike in here as well, shouldn’t I?

19.1lbs of grrravel bike. Still sitting in the LBS waiting for me to pick it up and take it home, because this weekend I’ve been too busy riding this;

Full review on the latter to follow shortly, and on the former once I’ve picked it up and ridden it home (Salisbury to the top of the Test!)

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the review and that was a pretty good shakedown ride there! I do like that colour as it sets it apart from pure road bikes. Hampshire back roads are ideal for these new-fangled gravel cum cx steeds.

Do keep us updated. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, interesting write up, fascinating bike. Was your choice something like hardtail 29er with narrow hybrid tyres and bar ends or the Diverge, did you just want something a bit different ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Didn’t want a 29er, didn’t want a road bike, didn’t want a crosser. Wasn’t sure what I wanted, really, but am very pleased with what I got!

CG, as you rightly mention, the back roads of rural Hants are hardly the place for a full on race bike, but great to explore! Shall have to get you out there on your grrrravel bike when I can organise my diary!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well that was very pleasant indeed!

Along the Harrow Way to the main road above Whitchurch. Grrrravel! Well, more mud and wet leaves, actually. Turns out road tyres, even fat ones, really aren’t very good at mud! Made an ordinary trail very challenging, which was fun!

Then, on to Ecchinswell down the back roads, Kingsclere, Hannington and on home.

The bike climbs like a stabbed rat. Shame I’m holding it back! Comfy, and fast riding, and really appreciated the tougher feel on some filthy lanes. Brakes are amazin .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Be good to hear your thoughts on hacking the first part of the STW to QECP, nice and rolling with gravel up top..
    Should be fine on that, mebbies put some gravel tyres on it…
    Then lanes all the way home..

Good day out that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am going to start putting together a list of good grrrrravel spots in Hants and Wilts.

On today’s ride, I found myself pondering doing the Salisbury Plain Winter Challenge on the Diverge with some narrow cross tyres on! It really is that good!

daftvader
    Free Member

We took minivader over to greenham common yesterday absolutely brilliant apart from some idiots dog attacking mine and getting pushed off my bike by the owner when I tried to break them up… Still didn’t really spoil the first outing with minivaders new bike!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Am going to start putting together a list of good grrrrravel spots in Hants and Wilts.

sounds like a great idea.

On today’s ride

i think you passed us the other way nr hannington. i *think* i recognised the bike.

beesey

I rode to Amberley from Winchester this weekend with an overnight stop, decided on a B&B though not a bivi and then cycled back along the southdowns way. I’ve read enough about the chalk being slippy in the wet but it was like sheet ice in places. Really good weekend with the boys just a shame I ripped off my rear mech hanger, lucky the other half brought a spare bike for the ride back home today all it cost me was dinner at the pub! Great to see so many out and about

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.