Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • H4 headlight bulbs: much of a muchness?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just put the spare H4 from my “replacement bulb set” in the T4 (3minutes! How easy is that!!?!!) so need to replenish the spares box.

eBay seems to go from £1.80 to £12 each.

Any reason not to get a couple of the inexpensive ones? Dont really want to look like a male chicken with blue tinged retina-toasters. Is there a false economy or a undeserved brand premium?

BadlyWiredDog

I’d just get standard Osram or Philips bulbs. Tolerances are better and they’re not that expensive. If you warn better lighting, Osram Nightbreaker Plus or the Philips +90 Vision Xtreme or whatever they’re called, but they’re expensive. Work well though.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d just get standard Osram or Philips bulbs. Tolerances are better and they’re not that expensive. If you want better lighting, Osram Nightbreaker Plus or the Philips +90 Vision Xtreme or whatever they’re called, but they’re expensive. Work well though.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d just get standard Osram or Philips bulbs. Tolerances are better and they’re not that expensive. If you want better lighting, Osram Nightbreaker Plus or the Philips +90 Vision Xtreme or whatever they’re called, but they’re expensive. Work well though.

BadlyWiredDog

Thank you apple 🙂

scaredypants

scaredypants

scaredypants

aaaarrgghhhhhh – what’s happening to me 😥

( 😉 )

jam-bo

jam-bo

somafunk

This post has brought to you in association with Osram, in partnership with Philips – for all your lighting needs.

Stoner
    Free Member

so 3 from BWD, 2 from scaredy and 2 from jam bo.

You chaps think Im made of money?!?!??

Stoner
    Free Member

roight. osram £4 each ish. Looks ok.
    cheers BWD and his echoes 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Stuck some H4 nightbreakers in our oldest car several years ago (old P reg with frosted style headlight) and they are still working very well (probably going to blow one now!) and give out fantastic light comparable to modern style lights with normal bulbs.

Just got a set of the new Nightbreaker + H7s to go in my new car as they had 30% off at Eurocarparts (£9 a pair). But that’s my main car and I do lots of night driving.

PS buy them in the blister pack not the one with the hard case as they are cheaper.

scaredypants

I’m selling some on classifieds right now, but they’re more than £4 so I’ve reported you

Stoner
    Free Member

cant really go for the ultrabright ones as the campervan spends a lot of time on the continent and since no lamp masks work perfectly I dont want to upset M. Le Frog by casting laser light across the carriageway.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers andy – have gone for some blister packaged osrams from ebay. a pair for £6.

andyl
    Free Member

if you don’t use it in the uk much you could always fit some lhd headlights and fit masks when in the uk.

Stoner
    Free Member

Main use is UK, so that wouldnt be necessary.
    I do though leave the masks on all year round.

nealglover
    Free Member

cant really go for the ultrabright ones as the campervan spends a lot of time on the continent and since no lamp masks work perfectly I dont want to upset M. Le Frog by casting laser light across the carriageway.

You won’t have any problems with that in a T4.

The power at the bulbs is so low on the standard VW wiring setup that even the super power bulbs won’t cause any issues.

If you fit the Headlight wiring loom upgrade and use Osram Nightbreaker+ you will see a huge difference in output though.

I’ve got that setup and have never noticed getting flashed when I drive in Europe.

Stoner
    Free Member

never knew that, Neal.

TBH I dont really notice low light output.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I agree with Badlywireddog but I think scaredypants is talking rot

nealglover
    Free Member

never knew that, Neal.
    TBH I dont really notice low light output.

I didn’t either until I borrowed another T4 while mine was being re trimmed.
    The difference is incredible !!

It’s about £30 if I remember right for the wiring loom. Easy to fit if you can hold a screwdriver and follow a few instructions. Takes about 15 minutes.

Doesn’t make it look like its got fancy xenon search lights or anything, it just makes them work properly. With 12v+ at the bulb.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stepson has just replaced his loom on his T4, must ask if its made a difference.

Stoner
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Stepson has just replaced his loom on his T4, must ask if its made a difference.

please do. Not that I dont trust neal of course 🙂 but good to have corroboration….

trickydisco
    Free Member

The power at the bulbs is so low on the standard VW wiring setup that even the super power bulbs won’t cause any issues.

If you fit the Headlight wiring loom upgrade and use Osram Nightbreaker+ you will see a huge difference in output though.

i also did this to my t4. Bought an uprated wiring loom off ebay. THe difference is night and day 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stoner, he’s just text me to say “yeah much better”, so I guess neil is right too.

IamSam
    Free Member

anybody got a link to the wiring upgrade???

sick of the poxy headlights on mine 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dont really want to look like a male chicken

I’d be starting with something a bit more fundamental then. 😛

nealglover
    Free Member

Have a look for a guy called “upspex” on the T4 forum.

His kits are the best I’ve used.

(Or DiscoDave but I’m not sure he does them anymore?)

Or T4sRus, or TidyT’s

I would avoid ebay ones personally, unless from one of the people mentioned above.
    All those guys work with T4’s every day and know what they are doing.

eBay ones can be a bit “unknown” quality wise.

Taff
    Free Member

Osram Nightbreakers are really good. Shame you’re not near Portsmouth, got a few H4 bulbs from my old 306 that are just sitting there

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for the tips.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Mine was from discodave 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Mine was from discodave

One of mine was too. He even fitted it for me 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

ouch, £43 from T4sRUs 🙁

But have just checked with the accountant and she say yes….

bigyinn
    Free Member

£43 for something that improves your night time visibility is well worth it IMO.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s the mrs’ reasoning too. she’s been complaining about visibility on country lanes so I wont resent the spend.

I drive with my eyes closed most of the time anyway 😉

robh

Surely it’s just a relay and a bit of wire though so £43 seems a little steep, guess it’s a bit like those split charge systems that go for £100+

Stoner
    Free Member

Id think so too, rob, but theres 3 “one-man-band” guys Ive seen selling them on the web (each their own design too) and they are all c.£40 + p&p so its probably a fair market.

Stoner
    Free Member

Harness tutned up yesterday.

Seemed pretty well put together

I tested the voltage at the lamps before replacing the harness. The battery was fully charged. Passenger side was showing 13.6v and driver’s side 14.3v – so not too bad, but I wonder if those voltages would have been much lower if the battery was taking a fair chunk from the alternator?

Anyway, with the new harness passenger side went up to 14.3v and driver’s side was pretty much unchanged at 14.4v

Will take the van out tonight and see if the difference is marked or not.

After replacing the harness,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘H4 headlight bulbs: much of a muchness?’ is closed to new replies.