• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Glentress in the wet / rain?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Up in Scotland tomorrow / wednesday – forecast is appalling.

Was thinking of taking the bike but don’t know if I can be arsed with it in the rain – before I finally make my decision – what’s GT like in the wet?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

it’s the same, but you get mud in your eye

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

also you might well have some luck with the weather tomorrow i reckon, doesn’t look too bad (wed seems “definitely wet”)

druidh
    Free Member

Makes most sense when it is wet or raining. It’s pretty well sheltered and it’ll be quieter.

redfordrider
    Free Member

The Red and Blue are a good wet weather routes. No need for mud tyres. Definately worth taking a bike. I’m planning to go Wed PM even if wet as the Pentlands will be a bog.

footflaps

Both GT and Inners XC are fine in the wet. The black at GT is boggy in places, but the red is fine.

rOcKeTdOg

Not been for 12 months but it was great in torrential rain last time, puddles but no axle deep mud pits

kimbers

ime experience most trail centres are fine in the wet
    infact its possibly the best time to ride them, as their largely surfaced nature means that they dont get that muddy and you cause less erosion

mboy
    Free Member

You could still ride the red or the blue with slicks on in the rain you pansy!

Can’t believe you’re even thinking about this…

See my messages on facebook and MTFU!!! 😉

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, an all weather surface, so you will be fine and as said by druidh it will be nice and quiet! Some of the red sections have got washed out a bit, but it only makes it a bit more interesting!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Does the rain make it slippy though?

My hair will get wet too!

parling
    Free Member

just come back after spending the weekend there did innerlaithen friday GT black sat and red on sunday it was wet but track deals really well apart just odd puddles, but they have diverted a bit on black that just a mud slide good fun though going sidewards all way down

mboy
    Free Member

Does the rain make it slippy though?

Take some cut slicks instead then, just in case…

My hair will get wet too!

On your legs, or your nether regions? 😉

br
    Free Member

Mudguards if you’ve them will make it far more pleasant, fair bit of standing water (probably due to the ‘armoured’ trails).

theblackmount
    Free Member

>what’s GT like in the wet?<

Difficult one. The cafe will be rammed, you might not get a seat. I wouldn’t chance it myself.

IA

Best time to ride trail centres is in the wet! They’re not muddy, just damp, so they ride fine. Plus they’re quieter and you can get a shower and a cake when you’re done.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Black diversion before Deliverance (?) might be sketch-tastic in the wet! We rode it at the end of March when we had that baking hot weekend and it was pretty sketchy then. Off camber switchbacks and steepish. It was flippin brilliant. I’d LOVE to have a go down that in the wet!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where are these so called boggy sections on the gt black – it gers puddly but no boggy – its hard pack for about 90 % really only ride at gt in the rain prefer to do the selkirk inners 3 brethern loop

athgray
    Free Member

I find glentress runs well in the wet. surface gets tacky and I find you get better grip. Only problems can be the roots in the lower sections, however these are rarely dry.

legend
    Free Member

I’d LOVE to have a go down that in the wet!

I highly recommend it 🙂

br
    Free Member

Off camber switchbacks and steepish. It was flippin brilliant. I’d LOVE to have a go down that in the wet!

Yep, even better in the snow 🙂

Couldn’t keep with my lad down there, he’d pushed/ridden his SS Flow Myth around the Black and even on bald tyres he was on another planet compared to me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Glentress in the wet / rain?’ is closed to new replies.