• This topic has 61 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Giro Montaro – have they sorted the pads yet ?
  • iainc

The quest for a replacement for my Xar lid continues. The Montaro was great, bar the pads falling apart first ride, and the whole lid was a warranty refund with Wiggle.

Presumably, given how many folk have found this, they will have had feedback and sorted the issue.

Anyone know if they have ? I did mail Giro but no response.

Thanks

andywoodall
    Free Member

Not in my experience, as yet anyway. Every replacement sent has gone the same way.

If this is the distributor just sending out what they have left, rather than a reissued improved part, its difficult to know.

I did try emailing Giro direct (bypassing the UK distributor) but stone cold silence so far.

Shame, the helmet is great.

iainc

Thanks, I mailed Giro direct also. Think I’ll hang off until I can find out for sure. Other option I guess is to get from an actual shop rather than Wiggle and pay a bit more, but be able to physically take it in when they fail. My LBS don’t stock them, hence why I got online, but I do have a nearby Evans and can get online from them and return to shop if/when required…

Murray

Strange – mine’s one of the first and still fine.

cnud
    Free Member

I acquired some rosebike sourced replacements from here and they are spot on. No splitting at all

iainc

cnud – ironic, those were the spare ones I bought for the lid that was warrantied ! How much use have they had ? I might take a punt on an Evans one if the Rose pads are going to last…

cnud
    Free Member

Iainc it’s the only helmet I use now so once or twice a week since you sent them with some mega sweaty four hour slogs uphill and down dale. All good. I’m not just saying that either, cos the originals split in under half an hour around my local trail centre.

iainc

Thanks for that, great info, I have just ordered a new one from Evans and some more pads from Rose.

rhayter

My Montaro’s pads are fine. When they get full of sweat, the seams go kind of wrinkly, but they’re OK.

legend
    Free Member

ooft that’s cheap! Shame I don’t fancy the lime

iainc

That is a good price ! I paid about £85 for my Wiggle one that was refunded. Given the issues, I want new one to come from an accessible shop, so have played a chunk more to Evans….

iainc

this just in on email from Giro :

Thank you for your email. The pads were changed on the Montaro helmet. However, this was a running change. I cannot guarantee that the next helmet would have the newer version of the padding.

legend
    Free Member

Seems like a cop-out considering they have batch info for the helmets

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Mine is a couple of months old and the pads are fine. It came from Wiggle.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ, I thought the new car threads were a saga……

jimdubleyou

Seems like a cop-out considering they have batch info for the helmets

Grrrr.

My replacement pads (I forget where I got them now) had the same issue as originals. Will get some from Rose and see what happens.

Onzadog
    Free Member

im on possibly my 5th one from wiggle now. Not used the latest one yet as i didnt want to risk it on holiday. Surely wiggle will get some new stock soon and I can finally get an exchange for one that doesn’t have crappy pads.

iainc

Onza – my thinking also, my new one arrived at local Evans today, fingers crossed !

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Christ, I thought the new car threads were a saga……

I thought people who have these would be interested in the update ? Never mind 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did get a reply from giro Europe a while back despite being ignored by zyro. They told me it was a first batch problem and sorted now. I guess time will tell, but I’m considering other options.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I asked wiggle last week if the problem has been resolved as I’m interested in the helmet also.
    They said that they don’t have any reports of the pads being changed but will ask Giro and let me know.

iainc

^^^ the response I got came from the US. I had mailed their main customer support address :

giro-consumersupport@giro.com

legend
    Free Member

Wiggles price is through the floor now too: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-montaro-mtb-helmet-mips/

(Limited sizes admittedly)

iainc

^^ with very limited sizing, suggesting maybe the end of a batch ?…

legend
    Free Member

More likely Wiggle getting **** off with Giro and just running down the stock

Onzadog
    Free Member

But, if what we’re told by giro about replacement pads is true, it’s an easy fix. Wiggle are making it harder by having an all or nothing returns process.

iainc

Update, the new black pads that came direct from Giro, as the sorted versions, are now falling apart after 4 rides. Back to Evans for warranty I guess 😥

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oh crap, I’ve got a second batch titanium one and some spare black pads from girl waiting to get used at some point. I’d like to think mine won’t go the same way, but what’s the betting they do?

I can’t believe th amount I’ve stuff I’ve bought lately that’s just turning out to be utter shite. Makes me want to look for another hobby.

mahalo

original pads lasted 5 minutes but the replacement set still going strong 6 months in.

bought for a tenner off ebay.

iainc

^^^^ you git the ebay link ?

I will take the helmet to Evans at lunchtime and see what they say…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here, new style replacement pads, started to fall apart after 1 ride, butttttt some 10 rides on and none of it has fallen apart since!

admittedly guess ive not sweated as much as its cold, but its only come apart on one bit, not all over like the last ones

iainc

just been to Evans. They phoned Giro UK, who are replacing the pads. Should have them within a few days. Decent customer service, hope the next set of pads last though !

OW – do you rinse yours out post ride ? I usually give the whole helmet a swirl in the bath, with pads in, and leave it to air dry.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

With my old pad my mate told me to rinse it out stragiht after a ride and leave it flat to dry, it didnt really work but the pad got no worse so to speak

This time ive not touched it at all after a ride just laid it flat when i got home and let it dry, its come apart in one corner but thats it, my old pad was apart all over, so no idea if this ones gonna get worse or its just one area thats not been glued as well

jam-bo

i’ve never taken the pads out of mine or swirled my helmet in anything.

maybe that’s where you are going wrong.

iainc

jam bo – Member
    i’ve never taken the pads out of mine or swirled my helmet in anything.

maybe that’s where you are going wrong.

does your helmet not get a bit pongy ?.. 🙂

scotroutes

Pads in my helmets get washed once/twice per year.

iainc

scotroutes – Member
    Pads in my helmets get washed once/twice per year.

manky git… 🙂

mahalo, thanks for link

scotroutes

Hey – that’s almost as often as I wash my bikes!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Giro Montaro – have they sorted the pads yet ?’ is closed to new replies.