Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Girl with dragon tattoo (Eng version)
  • rOcKeTdOg

Went to see it yesterday prepared to be underwelmed after seeing the Swedish version, but pleasantly surprised, maybe the first was a bit more atmospheric but that maybe because I knew the story

Worth seeing imo

Junkyard
    Free Member

knew nothing of it at all really before watching this version and thoroughly enjoyed it..cant say how it compares

GrahamS

Saw it just before New Year.

I haven’t had any contact with the series (books or films) before and I really enjoyed it. Suitably dark and not the usual Hollywood drivel!

Not many films manage to make me feel so uncomfortable

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good, good…I fancy seeing this. I’ll just wait for some opinions of viewers I’d trust first though. 😛

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I`m a grat fan of the books and the Swedish film.

I was also pleasantly surprised,this possibly a better representation of the book then the Swedish version,which though I loved for its dark atmosphere,I found was a little lacking in detail.This version seems to give more attention to Blomkvist`s relationships with the other characters too.

Rooney Mara is great as Salander.I was worried about a high profile actor being Blomkvist but after 10 minutes or so I forgot that it was Daniel Craig.

Very good I thought.Will be interesting to see how good the following 2 in the trilogy will be.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Why Hollywood feels the need to remake perfectly good foreign language films is beyond me…. Oh, no actually it’s not. It’s because English speaking audiences are bone bloody idle.

Watch the original Danish/Swedish version rather than the typically bastardised US version.

bazzer
    Free Member

If the films are worse then the books then they must really be crap.

I am I the only person who thought the books were a load of rubbish ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why Hollywood feels the need to remake perfectly good foreign language films is beyond me

Well, you don’t have to go see it. Sometimes, just sometimes, they do a good job. Sounds like they have here. And I reckon the swedish version will probably get a few more viewers now too.

DezB
    Free Member

Not rubbish, but distinctly average.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good, good…I fancy seeing this. I’ll just wait for some opinions of viewers I’d trust first though.

JLS are reviewing it this month for the fanzine 😉

Not many films manage to make me feel so uncomfortable

Yes very in places

Why Hollywood feels the need to remake perfectly good foreign language films is beyond me…. Oh, no actually it’s not. It’s because English speaking audiences are bone bloody idle.

Watch the original Danish/Swedish version rather than the typically bastardised US version.
    I love reviews of things you have not seen and on that note I will just slag off the book and the original version

And I reckon the swedish version will probably get a few more viewers now too.

well I downloaded it doe sthat count?

Stuey01
    Free Member

Why the publishing industry feels the need to translate perfectly good foreign language books is beyond me… Oh no actually it’s not. It’s because English reading audiences are bone bloody idle.

Read the original Swedish version rather than the typically bastardized English print version.

🙄

emsz
    Free Member

Books are average at best, and I think Salander is a 1 dimensional geeks wet dream.

Read the first book, and watched the film with subtitles which was ok but I don’t think I’ll bother watching it again

GrahamS

I think Salander is a 1 dimensional geeks wet dream.

Speaking as a 1 dimensional geek, I thought she was an interesting character, but not in a sexual way. She did have a certain Gibson/Morgan cyber/technopunk aspect to her, but that seemed fitting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

1 dimensional geeks wet dream.

Is that a one dimensional geek’s wet dream or a one dimensional wet dream of a geek?

Either way, that’s pretty dismissive.

emsz
    Free Member

She’s a one dimensional character designed to appeal to certain male.

Ok, DD?

I suppose she’s new to mainstream but she’s just a collection of stereo types: punk, intelligent, misunderstood, over sexed, wears black…. Dreary

The men who hate women? The authors who have no imagination more like!

Junkyard
    Free Member

no offence emsz but I am not sure you have much authortity to talk to men about our sexual desires..can I tell you what lesbians like or something?
    Watched the film and I never considered her on a sexual level tbh just watched the film and felt sorry for her and what she had been through at the hands of men – hardly a good portrayal of men was it…was that one dimensional too?

bazzer
    Free Member

I was just miffed every time she survived as she was boring the hell out of me every time she opened her Macbook pro 2e with 4MB of main memory etc etc etc blah blah blah 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Junkyard, it’s just friction, right? Same thing for me, my lovely 😆

I get what you mean though, she was/is a bit predictable that all

convert

I listened to the unabridged audiobook of this (about 20 hrs). It left me a little underwhelmed and not quite sure what the fuss was about – just a little thin and predictable and rather mechanical as it moved around the plot. Could have been the narrator as well as the text and I guess the translation so maybe not all Larson’s fault. I’ve got the next one (The girl who played with fire) sat on my phone to be listened to and I havn’t been able to bring myself to start it.

GrahamS

I suppose she’s new to mainstream but she’s just a collection of stereo types

Nothing new to me. As I said she had echoes of the stereotypical Gibson-style cyber/techno punk, circa 1984, but then I know people like that so it fits.

Her circumstances, background and attitude were still engaging though (to me). Her l33t h@k0r skillz less so, though they didn’t focus much on that in the film.

Philby

I really enjoyed the series of 3 books, much more so than a number of the books suggested in the recent ‘Recommend me a novel’ thread – Cormac McCarthy’s The Road for example. But each to their own.

Saw the film on News Years Eve and I thought it was excellent with a strong performance by Daniel Craig – I was expecting him to be similar to his portrayal of James Bond. My friend, who had not read the book, thought it was superb and worthy of seeing it in its own right.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I thought the book was OK – not super special, but a cut above your Dan Brown and John Grisham tripe, does suffer form product placement issues. The Swedish film seemed a little dull to be honest just bleak and undramatic, the ad for the US version looks great… but then I’m not around to see it at the cinema…

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

saw it inbetween crimbo and new year knew nothing about the book and knew there was a euro version film wise but not seen anything of it thought it was a good film,product placment was a bit blatant volvo,mac book,etc but good film never the less.

scaredypants

I was just miffed every time she survived as she was boring the hell out of me every time she opened her Macbook pro 2e with 4MB of main memory etc etc etc blah blah blah

exactly this, matey
    I really disliked the (english translation of the) 1st book, haven’t bothered with the rest. Film, unusually, was FAR better then the book IMO (the subtitled original film, not seen the new one)

avdave2

They are a good read but not great books. I enjoyed them for what they are.
    I’ve finally finished reading the Harry Potter saga to my son after a couple of years, again not great books but a good read for the target market. We’re now onto Just William and they really are a different class in terms of the quality of writing as well as being good read.

cakefest
    Free Member

Read the English novels a while ago and enjoyed the first two, but the 3rd bored me to tears with too much legal stuff going on that didn’t hold my attention. Felt it lacked the pace and interest of the first two, despite it perhaps being the inevitable conclusion of the trilogy.

Saw the 3x Swedish versions last year, and thought they were all increasingly duff as they progressed through the trilogy. Production values and acting felt very, very poor. Particularly remember a scene in the Dragon Tattoo with the Vanger family near the start, and I thought ‘This reminds me of watching Bergerac in the mid 80s. Poor acting, ropey sets, just not believable at all.’ They felt like the Swedish film rights owners were getting stuck in to make some money fast, before Hollywood took over and produced something slicker.

Saw the Daniel Craig English language version today. Very good, with ramped up production values (from higher budgets?) and much, much better acting. Thought Mr Craig did a good job making sandwiches and coffee, and Ms Mara too. Most of the old pros in there – Plummer, James, Berkoff, Skarsgard, Richardson – were all playing their usual stuff very well.

Sat through some of the credits at the end, and glad to see that crew looked 90% Scandinavian. Did they use the same crews from the Swedish versions?

Will aim to see the other 2 as well.

cakefest
    Free Member

And is it just coincidence that the two actresses that played Lisbeth Salander have an ‘oo’ in their names? Noomi Rapace, Rooney Mara? 007?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Girl with dragon tattoo (Eng version)’ is closed to new replies.