Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GiffGaff mobile
  • tails
    Free Member

Has anyone used http://giffgaff.com/ for their mobile phone, they use the O2 network so I assume they are decent? Very cheap as well!

If not are tesco mobile any good!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m with tesco payg at the moment, but in process of swapping to giffgaff (just using up my tesco credit at the mo). It seems like a no brainer. The only possible downside with giffgaff, and i have no idea if this is true or not, might be that you loose credit if you don’t use it after a given period, i couldn’t quite work that out in the blurb. Tescos constantly updates you on your credit remaining, which is useful, not sure if giffgaff does that.

tails
    Free Member

Tesco is a contract right? Where as giffgaff is like o2 simplicity? Is your coverage good with tesco? Thanks

r0bh
    Free Member

I’ve been with giffgaff for about a year now and had no problems. Their standard PAYG rates have recently increased from 4p text/8p minute to 6p text/10p minute but are still competitive. I like having the ability to buy a “goodybag” when you know you’re going to be using your phone a lot, sort of allows you to use it like having a contract but only when you want to.

IA

Was on gg over a year, no problems. Credit doesn’t expire – but if you spend credit on a goodbag, it lasts a month.

I particularly like their auto top-up setup. No hassles remembering to top up, but you only pay for what you use.

tails
    Free Member

So you can just use it without the goodybag and pay the standard rates. Alternatively I can buy I goodybag which expires at the end of a month similar to a contract?

Was on gg over a year

Why did you leave?

It appears very good, but I don’t want to have to buy an expensive handset only to return to o2 later due to average service!

IA

Why did you leave?

To get a particularly good deal on an SGS2 handset. Now on O2, which is the same service as GG, as it’s the same network!

If you have to return to o2, just get a cheaper sim only deal and use with an unlocked handset.

scaredypants

my daughter’s got GG – seems fine, and she can get a goodybag for a fiver per month that allows unlimited texts which is all she wants really

“she” can send you a referral that gives you £5 credit and her some points (I assume points make prizes) if you decide to activate the SIM

The giffgaff help pages, though unsupported by O2 (that’s why it’s cheap), are really good IME. Probably better than the official providers for advice etc

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tesco is a contract right? Where as giffgaff is like o2 simplicity? Is your coverage good with tesco?

coverage is good with tescos I’ve no complaints (can’t recall which network they piggyback). My Tesco is PAYG, I’ve heard people say they have some good deals on contract. Anyway, as PAYG giffgaff appears to be basically cheaper per minute. You can keep your existing phone no. with giffgaff.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I have GiffGaff. main use us data is unlimited and free within a £10 a month deal. No probs with me and worked well abroad too for calls there but turned off data while out of the UK.

C

Militant_biker

IA signed me up to GiffGaff when I got an 2nd hand iPhone last year, as it was by far the cheapest way to get unlimited data and texts, without a contract. Got my existing number migrated over to the GG sim easily. Hardest part was telling O2 to give me my MAC.

I don’t really use many minutes, normally get 300 with the £10 Goodybag. I like the fact they will tell you what is currently the best deal for your usage. E.g. if you don’t use the bundled minutes, they text you to say that you’d be better off just using PAYG next month.

I then moved to the USA but use the GiffGaff’d phone one when I’m back in the UK. The credit stays on the account, and I use that to buy a Goodybag before I return.

The only problem I have had with them was dealt with fairly well. In August they ran a ‘buy a goodybag and be entered in competition X’, which ended on the day I happened to choose to buy mine for a trip back to the UK. Their hamsters got tired due to the load of people buying that evening. My credit disappeared, but the Goodybag did not appear. Took 24 hours to get it sorted via their online help system, which is the only way to contact them. It cost me literally pennies to use some data when we arrived to email people, before it was sorted.

T666DOM

Can’t fault them at all. I went on to them when I bought my iphone4, by far the cheapest deal for calls and data even after stumping up the full price for the handset. No hassle to swap the number over from Orange.
    Also with no contract you can leave whenever you want, pretty much risk free.

defydude
    Free Member

I am in the process of switching to GiffGaff from O2, and keeping the same number, using a 3GS.

Gone from £20 for Simplicity sim only for 600 mins / 1000 txts / Unlimited Web (which while decent was waaaay to many mins)

to….

£10 goody bag on GiffGaff which gives me 250mins / Unlimited Web & Texts / Free 0800/0500 calls.

If all goes to plan it would have gone:

Wednesday: Apply for GiffGaff sim & ring 02 for PAC Code.
    Thursday: Receive, activate sim and put in PORT request on the GiffGaff website. Also download My GiffGaff off the Appstore.
    Friday (hopefully): Number gets ported over and relax.

Probably mentioned above, but both GiffGaff and Tesco piggyback on 02’s network.

simon_g

Been on giffgaff a few months – no issues. If you want data but don’t want a contract their £10 deal is fantastic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Going to change to it at the end of the month when my current credit runs out. My wee brother has been on it for a good while with no issues. Unlimited data for a tenner is what I am switching for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GiffGaff mobile’ is closed to new replies.