Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ghetto Tubless and Latex
  • spev

So i'm trapped in the house with shingles ( I don't recommend it to anyone its bloody painful) and contemplating going ghetto tubeless (among other things). I've found some suppliers of liquid latex on the net like here anybody used similar products or should I stick with the proper stuff?
    ta in advance (and any advice on the shingles would be great as well 🙂 )

uplink
    Free Member

It'll work OK but you need to mix it with some water, Slime & anti-freeze if you want it anything like commercial mixes

You can replace the Slime with other things – glitter, hair etc.

spev

Ah sounds good, wonder what quantities to mix it at, will get the "intelligent" brother on the case (when he's not messing about in Porton Down)

uplink
    Free Member
    tinsy
    Free Member

Have you googled it? I found a few sites that had various mixes, and you can tailor them to suit your requirements, like long life or giant hole filling.. (but I am yet to take the plunge myself)

spev

not googled yet, been awake for 4 hours and my eyes arent working yet 🙂 6 hours sleep in the last 4 days is taking its toll. Going to add it all up and see if its worth it. I take it the slime it to provide the hole filling bit?

scaredypants

re shingles:

If your pain is genuinely severe, talk to your doc. Post-herpetic neuralgia can be prolonged and v painful. Predictors for it are increased age (I'm guessing you don't really fit there, we're talking old) severity of pain during the shingles and whether or not you had pain/sensitivity prior to the shingles appearing.

Early "aggressive" treatment might prevent or reduce the onoing nerve pain. Simple painkillers can & should be on the go already. (course, you may be on "aggressive" treatment right now)

spev

cheers scaredypants, I was to late for the viral suppressing drug (by about 24 hours) i'm on painkillers but the rash on my side is right on the bit where I sleep and when I sit down its in the folds (I'm not fat) the burning is the worst bit as its constant. Really though its the cabin fever thats the worst

mefty
    Free Member

Extensive thread here. I have been thinking about doing this so would be interested to know what products you end up using and how it works out.

spev

I've had a look at that one, I'm intrigued as to whether I can not use Slime, looking at the little bottle of JRA wheelmilk that I have it appears to be a thin solution of latex and something else(probably an antifreeze type thing and an anti coagulant to slow down the latex), i'm going to try latex, anti freeze and a shaved inner tube(for the hole blockers instead of glitter)
    wont be doing it for a couple of days until I feel better though

scaredypants

there are other drugs that can be used for the pain (not coinventional painkillers) – you could still be eligible for these if necessary

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I mix latex with water so it has the consistency of single cream and then add about 1/5 of the mixture as windscreen anti freeze stuff and then enough glitter that it looks pretty (big size glitter – your choice of colour) it works very well and doesn't dry out for around 3 months at least – been running for 2 years with no issues.

spev

Scaredypants- if its not better by monday I'm off to the docs again, i'm taking co-codamol 30/500mg (I use them for my migraines) and they help with the pain.cheers though, i'll ask when im there about other options.

christoginger- i'll give that a go, do you use a standard track pump to inflate at the start or a higher pressure device?

uplink
    Free Member

This thread is bizzare
    the intertwining of shingles relief advice is comical

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I stumped up and got a 25 litre compressor as it takes away all the hassle,, inflate to 60psi shoogle the wheel about for a bit and thats you (2 years no punctures). I did get a tyre to inflate once off the track pump, but spent most of my time trying to find a car garage with an old style compressor!

However, extremely soapy water is the Key!!! get a brush and foam it up round the rim… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubless and Latex’ is closed to new replies.