Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Getting a 3 y/o to use toothpaste
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

OK, someone forgot to tell me which is the special one that works. I’ve tried all sorts and he just wont use it. He’ll clean his teeth but will not even entertain the use of toothpaste no matter what the flavour.

Now, if someone tells me there’s a Nutella and peanut butter flavour toothpaste we might be onto a winner.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There’s a blue one that tastes like bubble gum.. Have to stop the youngest eating it..

molgrips
    Free Member

We use a strawberry one from Asda (with Hello Kitty on it) but that’s now no longer enough flouride for our oldest. Problem is they still hate mint.

GrahamS

Yeah the Winnie-the-Pooh blue toothpaste is revolting. Tastes like Hubba Bubba. The kids love it.

scuttler

The more they cry the easier it is to clean their teeth so it’s self-fulfilling using one they don’t like. Ours like Tesco Steps Toothpaste 3-6 75Ml – http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261983127

They hated the bubble gum stuff and would’ve preferred crisp flavoured but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

docstar
    Free Member

I tell my 3 year old that if she doesn’t brush her teeth and be in bed by 8, that wee willie Winkie who runs through the town is going to pull her teeth out so there’ll be none left for the tooth fairy, harsh but at least it worked for a night or two!

crankboy
    Free Member

ASDA(not sure it is asda now) monkey on tube, but now as a treat has daddies special tooth paste .. crest. 3.6 years old .

MoreCashThanDash

Strawberry with glitter in was a winner with LittleMissMC

Scamper
    Free Member

Our 3yr old can’t stand any of the bubble gum' flavoured stuff, even if it has Peppa Pig or Tree Foo Tom on the packaging. He will only use Brush Babybaby and toddler apple mint’.

jekkyl

“I don’t care if you don’t like the taste you have to have to have your teeth brushed.
    Here are your choices you can either stand still and let me brush your teeth OR I will hold you down and brush your teeth in 5…..4……3……2……1″ and then always carry through with your threat.

We’ve used this with our little girl for everything; getting dressed, getting into bed, going to the loo, getting in the car. There’s no messing, it works a treat, I only have to say ‘here are your choices’ now and she does what I say.

kja78
    Free Member

Aquafresh brush time app. Nuff said.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

forget fancy flavours, you need him/her to copy you. Just start brushing your teeth with him at the same time and he should eventually copy. the more you push it, the less they will.

Cougar

“The tooth fairy only accepts clean teeth.”

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I haven’t used any tooth pastes for 20yrs because of the fluoride content and my dentist says my teeth are in good shape (he doesn’t know I don’t use paste tho) I use bi carb of soda, don’t believe all the crap about it wearing your teeth down

nowik
    Free Member

Sponge Bob Square Pants toothpaste,my lad loves it

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no messing, it works a treat,

Doesn’t work very well in our house. We end up with a screaming mess who will eventually allow herself to be wrestled with.

The teeth get cleaned, but it’s not a very pleasant thing to have to do night after night after night….

My eldest used to enjoy being forcibly dressed, toothbrushed etc 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

my 2.5 year old doesnt care which toothpaste it is although she prefers the Colgate Maxfresh that me and her brother use.
    i normally put a small blob on the brush and she will then proceed to eat that blob then ask for a second blob which she will then brush her teeth with….or at least she thinks she is…once she is done i “help” her finish off by brushing them properly

1-shed
    Free Member

If in the Manchester area your children should be using adult tooth paste as their is no added fluoride in our water. The amount of tooth decay is horrendous due to little brushing, juice in bottles etc etc and don’t give raisons as a in-between meal snack. Happy brushing

verses

I find “If you don’t use toothpaste then you won’t be allowed sweets*” usually works.

Obviously it’s important to follow through with the “threat”…

*substitute for favourite toy/TV program/etc as appropriate.

GrahamS

my 2.5 year old doesnt care which toothpaste it is although she prefers the Colgate Maxfresh that me and her brother use.
    i normally put a small blob on the brush and she will then proceed to eat that blob then ask for a second blob which she will then brush her teeth with

Be careful giving adult toothpaste to young children, especially if they are eating it. The flouride doses in adult toothpastes are much higher.

gonzy
    Free Member

Be careful giving adult toothpaste to young children, especially if they are eating it. The flouride doses in adult toothpastes are much higher.

we’ve been told by her dentist and the health experts that its ok for the following reason:

If in the Manchester area your children should be using adult tooth paste as their is no added fluoride in our water. The amount of tooth decay is horrendous due to little brushing, juice in bottles etc etc and don’t give raisons as a in-between meal snack. Happy brushing

personally i’d prefer her to use the toothpaste specific to her age but she refuses to use it and then i get the wife insisting on what the dentist said

1-shed
    Free Member

1.Give them milk or water instead of sugary drinks.
    2.Restrict sweets to once a day.
    3.Brush their teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
    4.Spit don’t rinse.
    5.Take newborns to a dentist as soon as possible.

5 basics for good dental health

Number 4 not many do, gonzy your wife and dentist are right.

Cheers 1 shed

vickypea
    Free Member

Have you tried starting with a tiny amount of toothpaste and working up from there?
    Or a reward chart?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Of course. All* toothpaste is yacky.

*All the ones I’ve tried.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Getting a 3 y/o to use toothpaste’ is closed to new replies.