Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • George Osborne caught fare dodging :)
  • wwaswas

Every journalist in London is heading to Euston to meet the train apparently…

Next week he’s planning to shoot himself in th other foot, apparently.

wwaswas

Trains due in at 17:04. Do attend if you’re in the area…

wwaswas

live tweeting from @RachTownsendITV is very entertaining…

druidh
    Free Member

Euston – we have a problem!

maccruiskeen

Euston – we have a problem!

I’m going to put that on my facebook and pretend it was my idea

nbt

well, this thread is top result on google for “George Osborne caught fare dodging” – but where does your info come from?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What a prize twerp! 🙂

Northwind

Send for the Big Man!

edlong
    Free Member

well, this thread is top result on google for “George Osborne caught fare dodging”

Someone explain again about the google results thing (sigh)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

According to the Digital Spy forum he was sitting in 1st class with a standard class ticket, he bought the upgrade on the train, which apparently you cant to during the week?

jota180
    Free Member

well, this thread is top result on google for “George Osborne caught fare dodging”

I got this

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/story/2012-10-19/osborne-train-dispute/

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I was going to be sympathetic to him and say that anyone could get confused by UK rail pricing, but it sounds like he argued that he should be allowed to stay in first class, without paying for a first class upgrade, as “he couldn’t possibly sit in standard”. Also sent his aide to do his arguing for him.

Man of the people.

honeybadgerx

I wonder if the Plebs will get involved

jota180
    Free Member

Remember ………. “We’re all in this together”

MSP

Why the **** would he have not bought a 1st class ticket in the first place, I wonder if he’s been claiming 1st class travel on his expenses, while only buying 2nd class tickets.

edlong
    Free Member

IIRC I don’t think they’re allowed to claim for 1st class anymore, think it was one of the new rules they imposed after the expenses scandal in ’09.

I could be talking utter rubbish though, I often do.

EDIT: Nope, I’m right this time:

Snouts in the trough – the rules

“The cost of first class travel is fully reimbursed only if it is at or below the cost of a standard open ticket by rail, or the equivalent”

jota180
    Free Member

Why the **** would he have not bought a 1st class ticket in the first place

apparently, he “couldn’t pay”
    middle of the month and all that probably eh?

porter_jamie

he paid an extra 160 in the end, according to the bbc. the sad thing is he will probably claim it so we are paying for it anyway

Lifer
    Free Member

jota180 – Member
    “Why the **** would he have not bought a 1st class ticket in the first place”
    apparently, he “couldn’t pay”
    middle of the month and all that probably eh?

😆

AD

Mitchell has just resigned – I wonder if the timing will keep the Osborne story off the front pages tomorrow…
    Or maybe I just need a tinfoil hat to keep Kaesae company 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

this isnt even a story.
    Osborne wasnt involved in any converations his aide was a dick, and probably thought the £160 was a rip off.

Anyway the real story is how public borrowing is down which you have to no matter how grudgingly have to applaud Osborne for.

headfirst
    Free Member

Sounds to me like his M.O. is to buy a 2nd class ticket, upgrade to first class and then claim the 2nd class fair back. IF only he showed such cunning in ‘managing’ the economy…

anagallis_arvensis

Mitchel falls on his sword to take the attention away!

headfirst
    Free Member

Sancho, I think you’ve got your facts horribly wrong there

Sancho
    Free Member

not according to the news

Gweilo
    Free Member

People buy upgrades to first on the train during the week all the time. Sadly its usually only if they get asked to show their ticket by the guard, which on London Midland isn’t that often so fare dodging is rife. I’m unfortunate enough to commute daily and see it all the time.

The idiot Osbourne should have just bought a first class ticket anyway.

I seem to recall that Cherrie Blair also got caught fare dodging, maybe the political classes think its ok for them not to pay?

Sancho
    Free Member

he got on the train and his aide or his security told the ticket inspector he was in first class on a standard ticket so this bolx story is a non event, there is far more happening in the world than this crap

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Too many plebs in 2nd class for Sir Gideons liking?

Sancho
    Free Member

It was one of those plebs that has f’cked up the Becky Godden case, so no sympathy for a jobs worth copper on the gate at no.10 here.

Gweilo
    Free Member

I just saw that report Sancho,

Mr Plod acting as a law unto himself again and not following due process, like failing to grant a suspect access to a lawyer for three hours, gets a scumbag off a murder charge.

Ok he’ll get life for one of the murders but on a double murder conviction he’d have gone away permanently. Plod should be charged with perverting the course of justice.

Sancho
    Free Member

Gweilo
    That is a news story, and deeply upsetting for the family of the girl.
    They are desperate for justice and that has been denied.

Houns

First class on virgin is only £23 if book in advance

Northwind

Sancho – Member

It was one of those plebs that has f’cked up the Becky Godden case, so no sympathy for a jobs worth copper on the gate at no.10 here.

Was it the same officer? Because if it was, you’d have a great point.

AD

Sancho – why don’t you start a thread about it? I thought this one was about the dishonest behavior of the chancellor.

davidjones15
    Free Member

This is wholly outrageous and I am outraged. 👿

Sancho
    Free Member

The chancellor hasnt been dishonest or dont you read the news, or listen to the half wit reporter that tweeted this crap

Gweilo
    Free Member

But was he being dishonest if his aide told the guard he was in first and he bought an upgrade….. non story really

£700 million drop in borrowing compared to the same month last year and unemployment down by 50k is more of a story but not sensationalist enough.

footflaps

£700 million drop in borrowing compared to the same month last year and unemployment down by 50k is more of a story but not sensationalist enough.

Amazing how Chancellors claim that recessions starting are to do with world markets and nothing to do with them, but the minute we finally start crawling out of one, they take all the credit?

AD

? Just the bbc website I’m afraid.
    If I buy a standard ticket, I get in a standard carriage. I don’t get in a first class carriage and try to avoid paying the upgrade.
    In my world this is dishonest. I also expect better behaviour from elected representatives.
    Now in the big scheme of things – does this really matter that much? Perhaps not, but it points toward a particular pattern of behaviour from MP’s that I find reprehensible. If you don’t, fair enough.

Northwind

Still overshooting their own targets on borrowing, and the unemployment drop is due to increases in part-time work. Unemployment falls but underemployment rises.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘George Osborne caught fare dodging :)’ is closed to new replies.