Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • General Lee cassette problems
  • Pridds

I have bought a General Lee SRAM cassette and it is causing me some serious problems.
    I have fitted it on its own (just replacing the 4 sprockets) and even though i do the lockring up to 40nm the cassette is loose on the freehub. I have tried different spacer setups but they either work loose or screw the shifting up.
    It didn’t come with any spacers (or fitting instructions) just the 2 sets of sprockets so i am wondering if i am missing a spacer or if there is an ideal setup for them.
    Its on a Hope Pro2 evo freehub with a SRAM PG1070 cassette if that makes any difference.
    I’m tearing my hair out and seriously considering pulling the trigger on XX1 to sort it.

dodger70
    Free Member

I have the same issue there are holes machined in the largest sprocket that allow it to shift back too far on the free hub.I have tried it on my Chris king and hope hubs and both have the same issue.I will be in touch with the supplier.

robarnold
    Free Member

Can you run a spacer to take up the slack? BB spacers or an old 6 to 7 freehub spacer will do the trick behind the largest cog

Pridds

Solved this by putting a 1mm spacer between the 2 general lee sprockets

robarnold
    Free Member

Good news. How’s the shifting on the SRAM version? I have the Shimano one and it shifts like a pig on and off the general lee but perfect once on and on the rest of the cassette

dodger70
    Free Member

Did the 1mm spacer affect the shifting.what did you use as a spacer?

johnnygooner
    Free Member

I installed the Shimano version after much eliciting of opinions and techniques on a previous thread on here. Have to say, now it’s all bedded in it works a treat. B tension screw on the mech set to about 3mm clearance, The adjustment on the barrel adjuster on the shifter is very fine. 1 or 2 clicks either way it has problems shifting one way or the other. I’d love to know what it is I’ve done right or have I just got lucky? I really don’t know! Only thing I’m kicking myself about is that I’ve installed a 34t chainring which combined with the 40t General Lee adapter gives a pedal stroke to wheel turn ratio of 0.85. If I drop down to 30t chainring and match it with a standard 36t cassette I get a ratio of 0.83. Point being I could’ve achieved the same using standard parts. Unless of course there’s something in all of the above that I’m missing. Any thoughts anyone?

timmys

Point being I could’ve achieved the same using standard parts. Unless of course there’s something in all of the above that I’m missing. Any thoughts anyone?

You’re missing that you have a much wider range, no? You have the same ‘bottonm’ gear but a much higher ‘top gear’. With a 30 + 11-36 your ‘top’ gear of 30/11 would be very spinny.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

You’re missing that you have a much wider range, no? You have the same ‘bottonm’ gear but a much higher ‘top gear’. With a 30 + 11-36 your ‘top’ gear of 30/11 would be very spinny.

Yes of course! Focusing far too much on the climbing aspect which I’ve found ok with the current setup. Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘General Lee cassette problems’ is closed to new replies.