Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gasometer listed
  • Pigface
    Free Member

The Gasometer next door to the Oval has been listed, not sure if this is a good thing or a waste of time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35709747

slowoldman

It is quite a special example.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it should.

Houses have a lot of sentimentality and an intrinsic value attached to them, so don’t get torn down as soon as the original owner moves out. And therefore last hundreds of years even without listed status.

But a lot of industrial and military infrastructure, equipment and architecture is demolished. Then we’re left scratching our heads about how these things looked or how they even worked.

It’s only grade 2, so not frozen in time like a grade 1, so you can still build a block of flats in it or around it.

redthunder
    Free Member

Gas Holder 🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

I always thought they were Gasometers but the article does call them gas holders, which is correct or do both names suffice?

nickjb
    Free Member

Last line of the article: As their name suggests, gasholders – also sometimes known as gasometers – were used to store large volumes of gas. Great to see these industrial sites being saved.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good

What they have done with the site at St Pamcras is rather cool. Walked past it a few weeks back

Northwind

Good- I think they’re cool anyway (and when deflated not exactly blocking out the sky) and that one’s pretty iconic too. And even if you don’t like them, heritage isn’t just pretty things.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Good- I think they’re cool anyway (and when deflated not exactly blocking out the sky) and that one’s pretty iconic too. And even if you don’t like them, heritage isn’t just pretty things.

This +1

djglover
    Free Member

I miss the gasometers, they used to dominate certain areas of most towns until the late 90’s.

Also miss the cooling towers by the MI at Sheffield

Gunz
    Free Member

It’ll provide something interesting to look at whilst the cricket is on.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

There are at least a couple of gas holders around London that are already listed, and I’d guess more around the rest of the country. They’re an important part of our industrial and engineering heritage, and many of the Victorian cast iron examples are beautifully detailed when you get close up.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m not always as much of a fan of Victorian architecture as the rest of the nation seems to be, but generally speaking gas holders do have a lovely lightness to their appearance.

I recall playing hockey on a grass pitch many years ago under the shadow of one. There was a sort of peaceful quality it gave to the environment, like a benign old grandfather looking on as the children played.

Well done to those who succeeded in lsiting both the structures and, inextricably, the ongoing importance of Henry Blofeld.

footflaps

They really need to pump it full of air every so often, just to keep it moving up and down….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gasometer listed’ is closed to new replies.