Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin Etrex Legend HCX or Oregon 200 with OSM/OS mapping?
  • rrollins
    Free Member

Talkytoasteruk’s great work http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps to make OSM mapping easy to use has given me the impetus to upgrade my basic Garmin Etrex. I’m currently deciding between the Etrex Legend HCX and Oregon 200 for route navigation and mapping by MTB supported by Anquet mapping on my laptop. The newish Oregon 200 which is the device I know least about.

I’m clearly attracted to the Oregon by the larger hi-res display but concerned about the reported poor visibility in daylight condition. Is this really an issue for navigating on the move by MTB? Also is the battery life an issue when the majority of my rides are half-day with the very occasional all-day ride? Finally is the relative weight and bulk of the Oregon any disadvantage compared with the Etrex?

Any thoughts and feedback from users would be great.

stumpyjon

I'm guessing the Legend only shows Topo GB on screen. On that basis alone if I wanted on screen mapping it'd be the Oregon every time for the OS mapping. I've got a Vista HCx, great unit, rubbish on screen mapping. Wished I'd been buying 18 months later, might have considered the satmap one as well.

andytherocketeer

Also worth checking the Dakota. Not seen one IRL yet, but certainly get the impression that it's like an Oregon but the size of an eTrex Vista (maybe someone can confirm?)

Not used the talkytoaster OSM maps in anger yet on my Vista, but they didn't seem as detailed as the German ones that I have. Forget which German map I have, but around here it's as good as having an OS equivalent map. I guess it all depends on what's been added to OSM?

Vista fits in back pocket, Dakota presumably does too, Oregon seemed a bit bulky, but I guess the Oregon+Dakota have an easier interface for mapping and no waggle stick to break.

samuri
    Free Member

as stumpyjon says, the maps on the HCX are a bit poor, pretty much useless offroad but ok for road riding. On a good note the HCX has fantastic visibility even in bright sunlight and great battery life.

My HCX has broken though, not long after buying it, it's currently with Garmin now. I dunno, couldn;t withstand the mileage or something.

I also don't like paying ten quid for a handlebar mount after spending almost 200 on a GPS.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I have an Oregon 300, its a great GPS. The interface is lovely and the functionality fantastic. The screen resolution makes viewing maps very easy and the ability to drag the map around with your finger tip is great.

The Garmin bar mount can also be mounted on the stem, which gets it out of the way a bit more, although its not really so bulky.

Battery life is pretty good if you buy good quality rechargeable batteries, i use the Phillips Eneloop cells and get around 8 hours out of them. Screen visibility can be a bit of an issue in very bright sun, although i still manage out here in Western Australia, which i can guarantee is MUCH sunnier than back home!!! All you do in direct sunlight is turn off the back light, which helps a lot. And regardless it still remains a lot more convenient to shield the screen in direct sunlight than pulling out a map.

Makore
    Free Member

If you want OS maps and a large screen for navigation have a look at the Satmap active 10.
    http://www.satmap.com/index.php

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Etrex Legend HCX or Oregon 200 with OSM/OS mapping?’ is closed to new replies.