Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garmin 800 suddenly won't upload new activities?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had my garmin 800 for a few months now and all has been well, had a couple of hours on the turbo tonight and it suddenly wont upload.

Don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but I used my new garmin speed/cadence sensors tonight, wouldn’t have thought it would matter?

I can see the activity on the garmin but it won’t upload automatically or manually, if I try a manual upload it just says uploading constantly.

Not sure if the file is corrupt or not as there are no averages/maximums etc when I look at the activity.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Upload to where?
    Did the sensor read on the device while you were using it?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Oopps, good point. Trying to upload to garmin connect. I usually just plug the garmin in to the laptop and it uploads automatically.

The sensors paired as I had cadence, speed and distance all showing on the screen.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If I’m on the turbo I turn the gps off first.

mudshark
    Free Member

Can you upload the file to the laptop by dragging it as if it was an external drive? I’m on my 3rd unit now, rain caused problems on the previous ones but doesn’t sound like your problem.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Didn’t turn the gps off I will be honest, could that be the cause?

I’ve tried a manual upload by clicking upload in the top right hand corner of connect and selecting new activities. It says ‘uploading’ with a spinning circle but it just stays like that for as long as I leave it.

Using the proper garmin lead and tried every usb port on the laptop, laptop is only a couple of weeks old.

Tried to select the .fit file from the memory on the garmin but that won’t work either. How do I manually drag the file over?

Thanks.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

P.s. Tried to upload via the web and the connect download but neither work.

DanW
    Free Member

Garmins don’t seem to like being too full and go a bit slow and temperamental. Does removing old saved files and just leave a few of the newest help either to upload a current troublesome ride or a new ride?

stealthcat

I’ve had the same problem with mine – won’t sync to Garmin Connect or Garmin Express. I think there was a new version of Garmin Express about the time I started having problems, but I either get a message about Garmin Connect cannot sync to the device, or an upload error in Garmin Express – Garmin servers are down…
    If it’s full enough to have problems after about 8 rides, I’m not impressed.

To be honest, I’ve just moved to uploading manually to Strava, because I could make that work!

mudshark
    Free Member

I save my rides to my SD card rather than the unit having heard stories of issues with rides saved to the internal storage. If the unit packs up then I should still be able to load from the card.

jota180
    Free Member

I love Garmin’s hardware but their software drives me crazy at times.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

if youre using Express, try removing the device from Express (you can choose to leave it in Connect) and then re-install the device into Express. Google came up with this and it worked for a Forerunner 405 we couldnt get to connect or sync.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Right.

Just had a quick spin with gps off and it will upload along with averages etc but it won’t upload automatically so I have to do it manually. Hardly a ballache but would be nice if it did its own thing as before.

There are no averages for last nights ride so can only presume leaving the gps on has fudged the file? It still wont upload last nights ride though.

I would upload to strava but I’m stuck with a crappy works blackberry and as with anything remotely useful strava isn’t available on blackberry.

I’ve just deleted an absolute shed full of rides and it hasn’t helped. Should I select the storage as the sd card or leave it to be stored on the internal memory and periodically delete old activities?

Thanks again!

christhetall
    Free Member

Had the same problem yesterday – assume it’s a problem with the notoriously rubbish Garmin Connect website rather than the Edge. Told me it was a problem connecting with Garmin Servers. I decided to leave it a couple of days and then try again.

Uploaded the track to Strava OK

Meant to save the track through Base camp, but forgot

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I think it’s the file with mine tbh, todays quick turbo mile has just uploaded with averages but last nights still won’t.

Can only presume it was a problem with leaving the gps on.

stealthcat

I’ve just tried removing it from Express and re-installing it, and it has now synced all bar one of the rides. The one it doesn’t like is one where I stopped the timer a few times (so many punctures I ran out of inner tubes and had to walk until someone gave me a new one!) Could this be the reason Garmin Express doesn’t like it?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

periodically delete old activities

if you are using Express in device settings you can tick a box and it will automatically deleted successfully synced acitivities.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I turned auto pause off as well as leaving gps on. Set the bike up on the turbo, paired the sensors and left it all on for an hour before I actually jumped on so maybe a combination of the above fudged the data on that ride.

Still won’t auto detect/download. Stealthcat, which option did you select? ‘Remove’ or ‘retire’ the garmin from express?

Thanks.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not stealthcat but I “removed” our Forerunner from Express (and ticked to leave it linked to Garmin Connect) and it’s worked since.

I think the issue is with Express/Connect not your 800 as we have 3 Garmin devices which periodically wont connect or load data*, google “garmin express issues” and you get 686,000 results…

*including a Garmin Swim which doesnt use GPS, it counts pool lengths by black magic.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks for that will give it a go later on and see if it helps.

daftvader
    Free Member

I was having similar issues, explorer wouldn’t allow the garment plugin so downloaded chrome and steering new plugin and all of it worked….

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Already on chrome so tried ie but that didn’t work either, hopefully removing it from express should help!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 suddenly won't upload new activities?’ is closed to new replies.