Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Front Lights
  • wors

Now the nights are drawing in 😀 , What front lights for around £100 for night time frollicks?

ta

wors

?

dannyh
    Free Member

A few quid more than your OP, but I’ve just got a mtbbatteries lumenator. It hasn’t had a proper run out yet, but it surpasses a 3 CREE led light I had from amazon. It’s meant to be slightly better than the magic shine M880, but at fifty sheets less.

The customer service is superb.

andyfla
    Free Member

Just bought a “Cree T6 Bike Light 1600 Lumens” from eBay £16 with charger , seems very bright with helmet mount, etc
    About as bright as my hope 4 – supposedly 1000 lumen

Very impressed so far

kuman
    Free Member

I got exposure joystick of wiggle when it was on sale for £56 and I got second hand maxx d of eBay for £99. That’s me lights sorted.

robbieh
    Free Member

My £28 cheapie s from ebay have now done 2 winters riding with a small single cell torch on my helmet to see round corners when you look before turning. Of course many on here will tell you how you need to spend much more because everything else is rubbish……your choice

bohngy
    Free Member

A while ago it was DealExtreme who were the place to buy your lights from. What’s changed? I could do with a cheep and cheerful set too.

jam-bo

Lumenator. Got mine out last night for the first time in ages.

Back to a helmet mount next time…

Creg

For the last 6 weeks I’ve been doing my 3AM commute using a £25 light I got off eBay sent over from China. They are pretty straight forward but have been working brilliantly for me, waterproof too.

bohngy
    Free Member

could someone post some links to the bargainous lights they have bought via ebay?
    thanks muchley

nealy
    Free Member
    variflex
    Free Member

For build quality and power I would go for:

Gloworm X1 or pay slightly more and get the X2.

http://www.crgmoto.co.uk

I have the X1 on the helmet and an exposure on the bars.
    Good friend just has an X2 on his lid and finds it more than enough.

happyrider
    Free Member

bohngy search ebay for: Cree T6 Bike Light 1600 Lumens

bohngy
    Free Member

thanks folks,
    Nealy; are the batteries that come with the 2 kits you specified rubbish? is that why you suggest getting a magicshine battery too?

Northwind

MJ-872 is a bit outdated now, but still an excellent little unit- 4 xpgs, lovely wide throw (but enough power to still have decent range). But also, very nicely made, fully waterproof, effective mount, decent battery, even a nice charger. You can buy worse lights for 3, 4 times as much. Put it another way, it’s an awful lot closer to the best lights out there than it is to the old DX cheapos. I paid £70 for mine- and it’s a lot better than 3 single XML lights for £25 each.

But, no doubt there are other new kids on the block that have it beat.

Don’t even need to bother with the hassle of fleabay – just search on Amazon

1000 lumen bike light, 1200 lumen bike light, 1600 lumen bike light, 3800 lumen bike light and so on

z1ppy

For £100+ (for a single unit) I’d be looking at the smaller dual XML units. Lots of choice, the Smudge’s luminator, neninja’s glow worm & numerous other offering appearing now (see this week fresh goods), along with the barginous chinese versions. Though if you want immense amount of light, look into the Inton dual xml (MJ-880 is very similar), bloody amazing but too heavy for use on your head . Hmm can’t seem to find the Inton anywhere now, except for some joker on ebay with a price tag of £300+(!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so maybe try the fluxient 3x XML unit instead.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement 4×18650 battery charger with a uk plug rather than the usual Eu + adaptor? Mines just stopped working and not convinced of the saftey of the original even before it died?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Lights used all year round in Somerset. Still out till 11:30 in mid summer, too good a time to be had

nealy
    Free Member

thanks folks,
    Nealy; are the batteries that come with the 2 kits you specified rubbish? is that why you suggest getting a magicshine battery too?

Yes. In my experience the batteries that come with bike lights from China (DX, eBay etc) are rubbish and have very small capacity. I only got about 1 1/2 hours out two 4×18650 packs linked together with a 3xT6 LEDs light but that 6 cell Magicshine pack lasts at least 3 hours and I’m yet to ride long enough for it to run out as I only got it in March. Genuine Magicshine lights are more expensive than they used to be and might not have the latest LEDs but they are very good. Also the guy who is behind http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/ sells decent lights and seems to have sourced good battery packs.

The latest and most efficient (brightest per amp) LED is XM-L2 so try to get that. Next best is XM-L U2 then XM-L T6

Skyblustu – maybe this? http://www.magicshine.co.uk/accessories/complete-uk-charger-mj-6012uk.html

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Front Lights’ is closed to new replies.