Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Frame clearance on FTM Carbon
  • heuer27
    Free Member

Had my FTM carbon up and running for a couple of weeks now and although I love the way it rides ,I have aproblem with tyre clearance.
    Had a 2.2 Ardent on the back and it fouled the seat tube when the suspension was fully compressed.
    Stuck a 2.25 nobby nic on the back,same problem.
    2.35 Minion DHF better but just about touches.
    I’m a big boy so need something with a bit of volume.

Anyone know of a grippy trail tyre that is just a little smaller in volume than these

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hear that the WTB tyres are fairly low for a given width but I’ve not ridden any to offer an actual opinion.

heuer27
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll have a look

thepurist

From the Titus US website it looks like they spec em with 2.2 Rubber Queens.

neninja
    Free Member

Has it got the right length shock on it? It shouldn’t be doing that.

Nobby Nic are hardly one of the tallest tyres out there.

Edit – My 2.2 Rubber Queens are taller than the 2.25 NN I’ve used before so it sounds like something isn’t right.

heuer27
    Free Member

I hope so the frame is brand new and came with the shock. It was the on one package discussed recently.
    Even when bottomed out the shock piston has about half an inch of unused travel which I thought was a bit odd.
    I was surprised that a purposed designed trail bike couldn’t accept an average trail tyre.

superdale
    Free Member

Heuer this sounds very odd. As they come spec’d with a 2.2RQ you would think your tyre would fit. Are you saying on big hits the tyre is rubbing the back of the seat-tube – is it also catching the rear mech cable as well then?
    Took mine out last night for first ride and loved it. I am only using a 2.1Cinder though but got no rubbing. 200psi I weigh 190lbs inc pack. Not sure it matters but what size frame did you get mines large. If you want to post some measurements I can check them against mine to see if there is anything obvious amiss.

neninja
    Free Member

Measure the eye to eye length of the shock and it’s stroke.

I think they use a 200x50mm shock (although the On-One site say its a 195mm)

gee
    Free Member

Defniitely something wrong with that – send it back.

I’ve only ever seen that once before and that was on a £100 Falcon full sus steel shocker of a bike. When I phoned them up and asked to speak to the design department they said (genuinely) “we don’t have one”.

GB

simonm
    Free Member

post any pics ?

heuer27
    Free Member

Sorry guys I’ve been out of contact for a few days .

Update. I measured the shock its 200 mm eye to eye and 51mm stroke. comfirmed on the shock shaft itself so my measurements are accurate.
    Its a large frame and along with rubbing the seat tube it rubs the front mech cable on full compression. The shaft of the shock seems to be designed with this extra, unused bit, of shaft as when the shock bottoms out it is 51mm and about 10mm left unused.I’ve only had Fox shocks before and they have always used all the shaft.
    I have contacted Titus and await a reply as to wether they have installed the wrong shock or not. I can’t find any specs for the shock on their site.

heuer27
    Free Member

simonm would post piccies but have no idea how to do it on this site .I’ll post some up when I find out how.

gee
    Free Member

Why are you ben messing about with this? Just send it back to On-One and let them sort it out. The longer you bugger about with it the more likely you are to end up stuck with a useless frame…

superdale
    Free Member

Heuer – OK have just taken the air out of my shock and on full compression which equates to about 49mm of shock stroke there is still at least 5mm of clearance between my 2.1 Cinder tread and the rear seat-tube. This is really at max compression and I doubt I would get that except on the biggest of landings.
    Maybe run a slightly higher psi in your shock and to be safe put some helitape where the rubing has occured to protect the frame in the worst cases when running larger tyres?
    The only small problem I found this weekend was the chain jumped off, have now shortened it, and the gap between the inner ring and carbon frame was very tight, so am fitting a chain catcher to prevent it droping into the gap in the future.

heuer27
    Free Member

Just had an email from Titus tonight. I’ve been given the wrong shock on my frame. They are contacting on one to arrange replacement. Thought you might want to know if you have an ftm. Deffo looks like it would be worth checking if you do.

snaps
    Free Member

Good to hear – I’m still toying with getting one.

heuer27
    Free Member

On one have now arranged for a new rear shock for the frame
    It looks like someone had fitted the shock from another model to my frame when assembling it.
    Should have it up and running by the middle of the week.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Frame clearance on FTM Carbon’ is closed to new replies.