Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fork upgrade question – Fox 34 2014 to Rockshox Pike
  • wordy1979
    Free Member

I have a Fox 34 CTD 160mm 2014 model. Was wondering do you think it would be an upgrade to get the Rockshox Pike or save money???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What do you do with it, do you find it has any short comings, do you have the cash, do you want something new because it’s new?

So in usual style answering a question with more questions.

I’m popping some avalanche dampers in mine, much cheaper than buying pikes.

wordy1979
    Free Member

Im thinking selling mine thats all and putting the money for a pike.

philfive
    Free Member

I have the factory 34 CTD Trail adjust and it seems fine, will a pike be that much better?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had 34 talas 2013 till the other week. Took out the talas and fitted a normal air spring and now they are all the fork I need on my enduro

wordy1979
    Free Member

All the reviews on the Pike say its probably the best fork out there at the moment but philfive you could be right is it that much better.

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve gone from a pair of 2011 36s to some new Pikes.

The reviews made me think I’d be transformed into a riding god. I’m not. The Pikes are very nice in a ‘don’t really notice them at all’ way, maybe get less arm pump on long rocky stuff.

Think us bikers are fooled by mag reviews into thinking there’s a huge difference between stuff where there’s really not. Hell, Jared Graves is leading the first round of the EWS on 26″ wheels.

Would I buy the Pikes if I had my time again: Yes I love them!!!

ratherbeintobago

Think us bikers are fooled by mag reviews into thinking there’s a huge difference between stuff where there’s really not.

This. Anyway, aren’t Fox meant to have fixed the damper tune for 2014 forks (after the allegedly iffy tuning of the 2013 ones)?

crispyrice

I changed from 2014 Fox CTD Fit 650b factory series to a RS Pike. And yes it is worth the money, they are significantly better. Do it.

crankrider
    Free Member

My first call would be to TF Shocks or Push and purchase a volume reducer cap setup.

This will work like the Pike’s volume reducers and alter the spring rate, as the 34 is very linear this will make a fairly drastic change allowing lower pressures giving a more supple beginning stroke and a progressive curve to prevent bottoming.

Give it a go – look on the PUSH site and see the spring curve graphs, the stock 34 is miles away fromt the Pike.

Its easy to say ‘do it’ but £600 is a lot of coin if you could get 95% of the performance by spending £40.00 on a topcap or £150 on tuning and setup.

crispyrice

I bought my pike for 580 and sold the fox for 400…

rickon
    Free Member

Or… You could just pop some float fluid in the air chamber, which will reduce the volume in the same way.

Although, as above, what problem do you have with the fox that you’re thinking the Pike will overcome?

wordy1979
    Free Member

Cheers guys im going for the Pike!!! Hello Sram : )

ash.addy
    Free Member

There is a post on here about discounts with both Easter discounts I paid £485 for mine. Have a look.

rewski
    Free Member

MRPs will be the new Pikes soon, in the meantime I’ll be sticking with Fox.

wordy1979
    Free Member

IMO the Pikes look class. I got them yesterday 😀

wordy1979
    Free Member

Cant wait to give these Pikes a good beasting. They feel and look great. 😀

rickon
    Free Member

In other news, I was running 150mm Pikes on a 26er, now running 29er Fox 34 Kashima FiT CTD TA, and they’re also awesome.

Not better, or worse. Just awesome, and different. They’re less controllable, but I don’t really mind.

d45yth
    Free Member

Wordy admit it, you just wanted black stanchions.

gaz552
    Free Member

I’m trying to resist the urge to ge a set of Pikes to replace my Fox 32 Evo’s than came on my Trance. Can’t say the 32’s are the best as handling consecutive bumps/hits. Plus the extra 20mm travel and more importantly a normal 1-1/8″ size steerer giving me more than 2 stem choices (not that I’d call a £90 chromag 50mm stem a choice) would be nice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade question – Fox 34 2014 to Rockshox Pike’ is closed to new replies.