Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Fly tipping .Is it any wonder people do it ?
  • oldfart

Not for a minute advocating it but this morning….. 🙄
    Went to local tip with an old lawn mower ,they don't open until 9am even though it is now BST.This was about 30 minutes before. Car was there couple of the workers ? get out to open gates .I say got an old mower could i leave it here and you can put it inside when youve let yourselves in ?Reply no sorry can't do that !FFS !Whatever happened to common sense ?
    So now another special trip or i might try leaving it out for the bin men tomorrow .

clubber
    Free Member

I don't think fly tippers do it because their local dump opens later than 8:30…

1/10 😉

jam-bo

what happened to turning up when they are open and working….

oldgit
    Free Member

Some odd rules. You can roll up in a mahoosive 4X4 with trailer loaded to the point of collapse, but you can't enter with an Astra van you can enter with an Astra estate.
    Bit annoying, I know a fair few people that run vans as there main vehicle that aren't trade i.e cyclists and fishermen.

Drac

Burglars no wonder they do it.

Went to the shop 30 mins before they opened, they were stacking the shelves I could see them. I knocked on the door and asked for some Monster Munch, they said No. FFS!

oldfart

Thing is i thought they opened 8am when it was bst .

oldgit
    Free Member

And they don't let you in the 'Acme Metal-crusher-o-matic' anymore to free old bikes, bah humbug.

H&S gone mad I tell thee.

falkirk-mark

just take it to your local beauty spot and dump it FFS.

-m-
    Free Member

Whatever happened to common sense ?

What, like checking the opening times via the council's website before going? Assuming, of course, you have access to the Internet 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

My car was stolen the week I was moving house, ended up renting an astra van (i.e like an astra estate but with no windows) but couldn't get rid of anything at the tip because it was a van. They operate a permit system here if you have a van, but you can't get a permit for a hire van. I pointed out that on the side it said Enterprise rent a car, not rent a van (Enterprise's proper vans say rent a van on the side!). Offered to show them the police report to say my car had been stolen. But they wouldn't budge.

You're not allowed to walk in to the tip here, I've yet to try it on my bike. But it really penalises non-car owners. And I think their rules about vans are silly, something that is smaller than a large estate car should not be subject to any more rules.

As I'm a nice responsible person, the rubbish was transferred from my old house to the new house to be taken to the tip later. I'm sure other's would just tip it however, and you've got to wonder how much fly tipping costs to clean up versus longer opening hours at the tip and less restrictions.

KT1973
    Free Member

Our local one is open 24 hours a day.
    But it's closed at night

<Trigger OF&H>

hainey
    Free Member

Worst rant ever.

Step 1. Check opening times
    Step 2. Go when they are open.

🙄

convert

Oldgit – you can get in with a van, in my county at least, you just have to apply for a permit. It took 2 mins online to apply for and they sent me a nice credit card sized certificate that allows me to make 12 trips per year in my big Ducato for "private", household waste.

Have to say I was pretty impressed last time I went, they helped me unload it and everything.

It seems like another life from 30 years ago, going with my dad to the one in North Wales where we lived. It was just a gert big hole in the ground where you reversed the car up to the edge of the cliff and lobed everything out the back, regardless what it was. You had to be careful not to hit the tramps at the bottom of the cliff picking through the stuff with fridges etc crashing down around them.

Drac

They operate a permit system here if you have a van, but you can't get a permit for a hire van

How do they know, all I did/do is give them the van reg and then get a permit.

As for the trailers, there's a size limit on those too before you need a permit. Just because you seen one go in doesn't mean it was able just to turn up.

ebygomm
    Free Member

How do they know, all I did/do is give them the van reg and then get a permit.

Do you know the registration of a van before you hire it? They don't let you do it on the day.

And just reading on the website, you require a copy of the V5 to apply for a permit here, and it expressly states that hire vehicles are not eligible for a permit.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I still would've thought that you could've left it out front as it's not exactly hard for them to move!!

TooTall
    Free Member

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY?!?!? I WANT 24 hr WASTE DISPOSAL FACILITIES!

Oh dry your eyes wet pants – try using the internet for research rather than complaining! I'll bet you a shiny pound that your local council has a website with that sort of information.

oldgit
    Free Member

Will the sensible people please leave this thread.

I think our one opperates a strict no van policy because there is a trade site in the same county. So it's not the end of the world, but a journey at weekends to the trade site might take more than an hour each way, and ten minutes to the 'normal' one. I can visit either in my old Discovery but only the trade one in my window less Defender 90.

Drac

Do you know the registration of a van before you hire it? They don't let you do it on the day.

Well yes from the one I use but it is a small outfit. Also I can pick a permit up on the day and hire vans are fine as traders hire vans too. Guess your local one is a bit anal.

BigJohn

Our council will only let you tip small amounts of building rubble and hardly any plasterboard.

So after you have emptied a sack of garden waste into the general disposal chute, go up to the supervisor and ask "It was OK to put the asbestos in there, wasn't it?" They go flipping mental.

Tiger6791

I have a Land Rover 110 Van with side windows. This really confuses them, you can see the cogs turning when they open the gate to let me in (too high to go under barrier aswell)

ebygomm
    Free Member

As part of my job I've just been doing some mapping of fly tipping hotspots in the district. Unsurprisingly the road that the tip is on makes the top 10!

Ignoring any rights or wrongs, is there any point in such restrictive practices when they still have to clean the mess up anyway?

oldgit
    Free Member

I was going to say, the roads nearby the tip are full of tipped waste. The cyclepath is often fully blocked. So it's all working nicely then.
    I can understand restrictions on type of waste, but what's the difference between me binning a bathroom suite and a trades man binning one.

convert

I guess as householders we pay for the desposal of our domestic waste as part of our council tax. Small stuff gets taken away from the house but they also provide a DIY option (the local tip or whatever we are meant to call it now).

Commercial waste is charged differently. I have no idea how much of the cost of skip hire is the disposal but I think its quite a sizeable chunk. I guess you could argue that business rates should be increased to cover it but that would not be fair on businesses that don't require huge disposal facilities. It would be like an Aluminium smelting plant being charged the same for their electricity consumption as a large warehousing company just because they have a similar building footprint.

Re the bathroom suite – I guess there has to be a cut off somewhere. He has created that waste as part of a fee paying activity therefore it is business waste not domestic.

binners

Isn't fly-tipping why the government built the railway network? As it certainly isn't to provide a viable system of mass transportation

SST
    Free Member

Well I sympathise with you oldfart, even if no one else does 🙂

Whatever happened to "public services" being open at times to suit "the general public" ??? Most of the working public are at work by 9am, so if you want to drop something off on the way to work . . . .

🙂

porterclough
    Free Member

What's BST got to do with it?

allthepies
    Free Member

My local "recycling centre" is open from 8am-7pm 7 days/wk in summer time.

Hope this helps 🙂

SST
    Free Member

The hours are different during BST.

brakes
    Free Member

what about fly skipping rather than fly tipping?
    on a one-in one-out policy
    chuck something in someone elses skip but be sure to take something (hopefully bike-shaped) away

goog
    Free Member

my god, this thread is a reet load of rubbish !

IGMC

ddmonkey

I think fly tippers should be hunted and shot on sight by snipers who lie in wait along the counrty lanes at night.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

When do they shut? Go on your way home and just take it as a lesson learned. I very strongly suspect that fridges/furniture and other house clearance stuff in the middle of nowhere has more to do with avoiding fees for commercial activities than missing the opening times. Always amazes me that our local site is just open, all the time it seems.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

the tips in Bristol are pretty good, ive done over 30 trips in a few years including an old bathroom suit, walls ive taken down, whole house worth of carpet, boulders, rocks, connifer trees the lot. I have a large picasso, with the chairs down its as big as a van 🙂 really hacks them off if I do 3 trips in a day… I do think the rule of vans, not being able to walk in etc sucks, I have seen locals (prob who dont own a car) walk in, get turned away, then they dump the junk by the gates and walk off, dont blame them… blatant descrimination against not having a car

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is fly tipping a bit like cow tipping but for weaklings?

atlaz
    Free Member

Our "recycling centre" doesn't like vans either. However they're happy having the same car driver do around 10 visits in a couple of hours. Recycling – good for the environment!

ddmonkey

But you've got to be really fast..

project
    Free Member

Working 100 feet from the local refuse disposal amenity site,took 2 old doors there,jobsworth trained by the KGB in advanced interogation techniques,

Jobsworth (jw). what have you there,

Me. 2 soors not trying to sound to obvious,

JW, do you have a authoristion number to off load them here,

Me, no, where and what do i need to do to get one,

JW, you need to ring the council and tell them what you are bringing,how big and the time you expct to arrive,they will then ring me to ask if i have enough space to take your waste, and if so they will issue you a authorisation number,you come back and see me, and i then ring up the office to check your details and ensure the waste and authorisation number match (as sometimes people tell me lies and give a false number)and if i have space i will allow you to dump your waste.

Me ,so ring the council more questions, then i say its a van and they say sorry no vans allowed on council sites as you may well be charging the customer for removing the waste,and making a profit,and thats ilegal.

So back to the customers house,and she gets her husband to help her carry the doors to the tip, 100 feet, and the jobsworth says, sorry we dont allow people to walk into here with waste, as you may be run over,you must arrive by a vehicle.

Her responce was unprintable.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye the Bristol tips are OK. Only had to make 1 trip with an old TV. I went in on my bike, chappie on the gate was fine with it, supervisor chappie wasn't so fine about it 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But you've got to be really fast..

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Fly tipping .Is it any wonder people do it ?’ is closed to new replies.