Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • five ten shoes are they worth the money?
  • blinty
    Free Member

need some new riding shoes for xc and some dh should i splash out on some five tens??

philfive
    Free Member

Yes they are quality

kimbers

they are good but they do get a bit soggy (well impacts anyway) if youre planning lots of winter riding, not sure if their other models are a bit better

blinty
    Free Member

will be riding all winter in all weather but got sealskins 2 keep the wet out..

jedi

too stiff and grippy and dont dry quickly for me

GW
    Free Member

too stiff and grippy and dont dry quickly [b]UGLY[/b] for me

+1

Northwind

Worth it? No, not in terms of value for money. Build quality of a cheap supermarket shoe, and poor weather protection. But they do work, if you want the stickiest shoe out there that’s 5 10.

Personally, I use Shimano and Vans, since any half-decent flat shoe has more grip than you need, so I went with the Shimanos for the superior build quality and wet weather manners (my older pair of AM40s has lasted more than twice as long as my Five Tens did, and are still going strong)

My Vans were just cheap 😉 But they do the job almost as well.

My grippiest pedals needed some pins taken out to get the grip level right… So not sure why the super-sticky rubber is seen as a selling point really. If you have good footwork you don’t need it, if you have bad footwork no amount of sticky will keep your feet on, surely?

jedi

nike 6.0 meelee’s for me at the mo. i bought 4 pairs!

GavinB

If I need the grippiest shoes (gloopy DH), then I wear my 5:10s, however for pretty much everything else I’ve a much older pair of Shimano flats that are better made, keep the mud out, but are slightly less grippy.

I’m not a flatty-god btw, so I probably rely more than some on the stickiness of 5:10s. They grip so well, I’ve taken pins out of the pedals on the DH bike. The Vibram sole on the Shimano shoes is harder wearing, and less grippy, but still grippy enough, for almost all situations IME.

blinty
    Free Member

not so concerned about the sticky soles, got enough grip with the old airwalks and animal shoes but the superstar pedals rip through the soles in no time so want something to last more than just a couple of months.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Jedi check these out- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51904

I had some 5 10 Rennies and like you say they were a nightmare for soaking up water but after a couple of years they finally died the other day and I just got the above today. After the first ride today I can say they are just like wearing a normal skate shoe but with really grippy soles. The soles are thinner and the whole shoe is just way more flexible. I got them pretty wet today so it remains to be seen how quick they dry but they certainly didn’t feel that heavy when I took them off

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

too stiff and grippy and dont dry quickly for me

Yeh, they’re shite really. Also very expensive. They are far too heavy and the soles are too thick so you cant feel the pedals properly. They are also too grippy, its difficult to reposition your foot. I used mine for dhing in the alps on a hardtail, they were great for that, for everything else they were poor.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Vibram sole on the Shimano shoes is harder wearing

Not in my experience.

My soles tore up really quickly riding on my nano techs.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Teva Links! They’re even better than my AM41s and as a plus, they don’t make you look like a complete mong. 😆

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t understand the obsession with mega grippy soles me. Way I see it is if you wanted loadsaloadsa grip you’d just wear SPDs, which come with far far more grip at a lower price point.

GW
    Free Member

not so concerned about the sticky soles, got enough grip with the old airwalks and animal shoes but the superstar pedals rip through the soles in no time so want something to last more than just a couple of months.

just remove some pins. I only run 5 each side on the Nanos on my hardtail (each corner and one middle outer edge)

Northwind

chakaping – Member

My soles tore up really quickly riding on my nano techs.

Thing is though, the soles on my older AM40s look like they’ve been mauled by a dinosaur but they still work fine. I was worried by the wear at first but it turned out not to matter.

jedi

cambrianmonkey, they look stoopid special 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine, got them on offer though. You only really need that much grip when it’s wet and slimy and you are riding techy stuff though IMO.

viv
    Free Member

I have the five ten highs, they are just the same as any other skate shoe – total con imo…. but if you like the look then you may as well get them…

debaser

Love my freeriders although they take on water like a sponge and an age to dry out. They’ve lasted pretty well so far and I’d probably buy another pair when I wear them out.

Also have a pair of basics… for some inexplicable reason they had a cardboard subsole which gave up after a few wet rides. Ripped them out and replaced with another insole. Still wear them mucking around on bikes occasionally, but wouldn’t recommend them as a regular use MTB shoe.

Northwind

debaser – Member

Also have a pair of basics… for some inexplicable reason they had a cardboard subsole which gave up after a few wet rides.

Apparently they’ve stopped doing that… Looked at a pair of Impacts in a shop a while back and they still had the cardboard insole though so I don’t know if it’s across the range.

grum
    Free Member

Apparently they’ve stopped doing that…

Dunno about the basics but my freeriders definitely have a proper inner sole.

Northwind

It wasn’t just the Basics though, like I say Impacts had(still have?) it, and the old red Karvers definately did too. Really took the piss tbh. Not that it really mattered since mine also fell apart in about 3 other ways anyway 😉

But it’s definately a good thing that they’re reducing it, hopefully it’s just old stock that still have the cardboard in them.

nedrapier

the soles on my older AM40s look like they’ve been mauled by a dinosaur but they still work fine. I was worried by the wear at first but it turned out not to matter.

Northwind, I thought the same about my AM40s, but took the insole out and there’s daylight shining through the holes!

Was fairly set on a Feet First resole or the 5:10 chase, but with jedi’s tip £10 cheaper than the former and half the price of the later, I’ll give them a pop.

Cheers jedi!

prettygreenparrot

Sizing is weird. Soles are very grippy. Clumpy looks are quite fun. Would I pay that much for a pair of sneakers again? Sure. I’d probably get the same ones too. Although I’d try the next size up.

Northwind

nedrapier – Member

Northwind, I thought the same about my AM40s, but took the insole out and there’s daylight shining through the holes!

Heh. Bit of duct tape and they’ll be right.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The problem with a super soft rubber sole is they don’t last very long.

I’ve had 4 pairs of impacts, they all have had a rubbish cardboard midsole which falls apart after getting wet. 5:10 or marzocchi branded.

Sticky soles are a short cut to confidence but not competency.

Spitfires don’t have any cardboard.

Edric64
    Free Member

5 10 DAPS ARE NOT FOR CYCLING

blinty
    Free Member

thought there would be more positive comments than this. think il save a fortune and not bother..

jedi

nike 6.0 melees cost 30 quid from hatfield galleria nike outlet 🙂

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve tried the cheap skate shoe option, think they are Duffs but not sure. Much cheaper and seemed great on a dry ride. That all changed when it got wet, couldn’t keep my feet on the pedals. Wasn’t terrible but they slipped at the times I really wouldn’t want them to.

Got a pair of Nikes to try as well but I like them as casual trainers at the moment too much to ruin them on the bike.

With spending £85ish on new 5 10s I seem to keep wearing my old ones unless it’s a nice dry day to avoid trashing the new ones until I have to!

Mine have lasted a good few years. Of course they are expensive but with a few years service out of them with what they have to go through is acceptable to me.

jedi

nike 6.0 are bmx shoes. awesome sole in wet or dry. i never got on with duffs

scruff
    Free Member

Nike 6 uppers dont stretch & are indestructabubble, soles decent not as grippy as Shimano’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought the same about my AM40s, but took the insole out and there’s daylight shining through the holes!

My soles wore at a frightening rate. I’m sure the pins will be lodging in my feet very shortly.

But I’m sending them back for warranty anyway because part of the upper has perished. Just flaking away to reveal the wispy padding material inside.

weeksy

what model of Shimano flats lads ?

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Worth it? No, not in terms of value for money. Build quality of a cheap supermarket shoe, and poor weather protection. But they do work, if you want the stickiest shoe out there that’s 5 10.

I don;’t think that’s the case any more – maybe with older 5:10s, mine Sam Hills don’t suffer that way, don’t seem to have any cardboard in them, and have been through the washing machine numerous times without any issues.

I did however find a wasp in them during a ride the other day, which was unpleasant.

honourablegeorge

scruff – Member
    Nike 6 uppers dont stretch & are indestructabubble, soles decent not as grippy as Shimano’s.

My Nike 6.0s tore right across the toecap within a week of me buying them

scruff
    Free Member

Perhaps the child slave labour was having an off day ?

crackhead
    Free Member

worth the money?
    No
    Managed to split 2 pairs at the sole and upper joint in the heel area, whilst still having a relatively unworn sole. The worst shoe I have ever bought in terms of longevity.Check out Downhill forums for more of the same.
    I race bmx and find them really heavy to spin up compared to skate shoes and they feel heavy at the end of a long xc ride.
    Feet First,Sheffield, do a resoling service that includes the pimpled 5.10 rubber.Finding a better constructed and lighter shoe that is compatible with their technique is my next step…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘five ten shoes are they worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.