Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 420 total)
  • few questions about DE razor shaving……
  • sadexpunk

its that time again, and wife wants to know what i want for christmas. i never really need anything, but ive read the razor threads on here from time and am now ready to take the plunge into the dark side of singlespeed shaving 😀

google ‘singletrackworld razor’ throws up a few threads from years ago, all interesting reading, but i thought id ask if all the old favourites are still relevant, or have they been superceded now.

few questions that come to mind are…..

should i still be looking at merkur/muhle? ive looked at the shavingstack and connaughts websites which seem to imply theyre still in demand, but which one? the old threads seemed to mention futur and another one i forget the name of, but they seem to just be numbers and letters these days.

you may laugh at this, but are badgers harmed in the making of the brushes? whether people class em as cuddly or vermin, i wouldnt want to contribute to their demise in any way. if they are, whats the next best thing?

soap or cream?

the shaving websites seem to sell aftershaves such as brut and blue stratos, sandalwood and almond smells etc. why do they not advocate the ‘popular’ stuff such as boss/armani code/calvin klein etc etc….

i understand that different people will suit different razors/blades so i dont want to go super-expensive as i may need to change later, but im thinking id like a nice heavy razor (think id prefer long handled but open to trying short too) and also a combination of different blades.
    cream sounds more attractive than soap, and a decent brush.
    is there any advantage to the ‘comb type’ profile of say the muhle 41?
    not looked into the ‘moving parts’ yet, but i got the impression theres screw down tops and butterfly is it? id like less faff if possible, something that looks lovely, feels lovely, and works smoothly.

alum block or styptic pencil?

worth getting a dedicated stand for it all? a bowl maybe for cream/soap?

thanks a lot for any help in ridding my wife of all her money, so she can stop wasting it on sh*t and spend it on something worthwhile for a change 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

After 4 years I now have have a Merkur Futur and 2 x antique Gillette razors and I swap between them all the time – just depends how I feel as they each have different shaves.
    Feather blades
    Palmoiive and Arko shave sticks (applied staight to face then brushed so no bowl needed – Arko is excellent). Used creams and they’re OK but no better IMO – coconut is a fave.
    Only just got a pencil and it works well but I rarely nick myself, especially with the gillettes.
    Wouldn’t change anything.
    A stand for the razors might be nice – but probably a bit too geeky.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

id like less faff if possible, something that looks lovely, feels lovely, and works smoothly.

I’ve had a Merkur Futur for a few years now and it ticks all those boxes and adjustable but there werea few negative comments a while back so their QA might be a bit suspect now, which is poor because it’s not cheap

soap or cream – your choice – I like soap, Arko is a popular choice here and it’s very good and cheap, but currently using Proraso soap which comes in it’s own bowl.
    alu or pencil, I use a block becasue I was forever losing pencils, although for space reasons I keep a pencil in my emergency overnight bag (I have a bit of a tendancy to get in the car and start driving and forget to stop). pencils cost pennies try one and see what you think
    bowl – a stick of Arko can be pressed into an oyster shell, just clean it out properly, some soaps come with bowls, Alcatraz prison mugs are just the right size for loose soaps.
    badger brushes are very soft, boar and bristle brushes are harder and don’t hold as much water so don’t lather up as much, but if you use them, they soften and work well after a month or two.
    dedicated stand? one for the brush, everything else in a mug
    i like the smelly stuff from my local shave shop and am lucky that the owner can tell me about the smell rather than supermarket smells which i’ve never really liked (apart from old spice white water)

Drac

I use Mankind for my items, except blades.

Razor choice for me is Mekur similar to this one.

http://www.mankind.co.uk/merkur-stainless-steel-handle-razor/10448718.html

Blades, you’ll find your own presence I was lucky and got samples sent to me by friends. My choice is Astra Superior Platinum Blades, can be had for less £10 for a 100.

Soap I use Geo. Trumpet it lasts months and is very good.

I use a bit Shave Oil first which I had doubts about until I got a small sample, it’s expensive but lasts ages.

I’ve started using aftershave cream too the last couple of months, helps keep my young looks.

Then I use my aftershave scent of choice.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m semi-traditional. I have a Merkur 34C that I use all the time with Feather blades.

But I’ve never got on with the soaps, creams, brushes etc. King Of Shaves Alphagel is perfect for no fuss. Rinse off with cold water and an alum block all over to finish off.

Scents I keep completely separate because I’ll wear them even when I don’t shave and then its different for different purposes.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use a Futur too. Just seems to the right weight, size and balance for me. Try a sample pack of blades to see what suits you.
    I would recommend splashing a bit more on good badger brush. Combined with a good soaps you will produce a nice, thick lather in no time.
    In regards to the soap I like the trumper ones that come in the bowls. No need for a seperate cup and the last ages too without drying out.

bigblackshed

I’ve gone back to trad shaving after years of multi blade scrape.

I’ll recommend what I have. I started with a Merkur 23c, long handle. Reasonable bit of weight, that’s a good thing, big enough for my bear like paws. Not overly aggressive. I recently bought a Merkur 25c, the open comb version of the 23c. It’s a lot more aggressive, more blade on your face. But it is good for slicing through a weeks worth of course growth. I would say start with a 23c or similar.

Geo F Trumper shave soap. Just because it’s what I started with 25 years ago. Soap in a bowl costs about £18, refills about £10. I shave every other day on average, either a 2 or 3 pass shave and lather up each time. Lasts about 6 months. Coconut is my favourite.

I bought a Vulfix pure badger brush 25 years ago. I’ve looked after it and it’s still perfect. I would like a larger brush just because, and then retire my small Vulfix for travel purposes. The better the badger hair the more water it holds, the better the lather.

Pre shave oil is a bit like Marmite. And often over priced olive oil. The Bluebeards Revenge one is good for the money. £10 a bottle and it lasts 4 months ish.

Blades are entirely personal. No one can recommend what’s right for you. Try a sample pack, but try each make at least a couple of times. I found platinum coated blades a little bit smoother. I settled on Astra Greens and used them for 6 months or so. In the sample pack was a Feather. I’d heard their reputation and was reluctant to try it. I did after about a month of DE shaving and it was so sharp it was shaving my shadow. I tried one again after I was comfortable with my technique, I now use Feathers exclusively. Nothing else works as well. BUT get comfy shaving with a DE before you jump in to Feathers.

The Wife is buying me a Merkur Futur for Xmas, from what I’ve read it’s a step up from the fixed blades, both in weight and aggressiveness. It’s not really a starter razor. Otherwise dive in and have a go.

sadexpunk

thanks for the advice so far.

whats an ‘open comb’ version of a razor?

i use a razor pit at present with a mach 3 turbo. would the raazor pit work well with DE razors too?

any info on which razors are easiest for swapping blades over? im thinking screw-down/butterfly/anything else?

cheers

ontor
    Free Member

Merkur progress here, I prefer it to the futur and other fixed razors. Slant bar is rather good for heavy stubble but get good with something else first.
    I use feather blades and mitchells wool-fat soap & find them both excellent.

If you take a relaxed approach and enjoy it you’ll always have good results. rush it or be sloppy with technique & you’ll slice yourself.

Get an alum block.

ontor
    Free Member

whats an ‘open comb’ version of a razor?

Supposedly, the open comb lends itself to behaving better with longer stubble. I have found no scientific evidence for this.

i use a razor pit at present with a mach 3 turbo. would the raazor pit work well with DE razors too?

I’d really recommend some soap. (i use a hog brush rather than badger as I find it’s a bit better)

any info on which razors are easiest for swapping blades over? im thinking screw-down/butterfly/anything else?

they’re all pretty easy. a butterfly is a bit quicker but the mechanism will become slack over time (talking many years, but hey it’s a consideration)

aa
    Free Member

Am I being all ‘poverty spec’ by saying I use an Edwin jagger De86. Its a lovely weighted razor.
    Blades are feather, tried countless sample packs, but no blade glides as well and cuts as well as feather. Its interesting reading comments above about preferred brands. How much tech goes into a blade? Ive used ones before where ive ended up looking like ive been glassed…
    Don’t use any anti-bleeding technology. Good Xmas present idea, cheers sadexpunk.
    Soap by Dr Harris, lasts forever, but I think I prefer cream.
    Finally, brush also by Edwin jagger. Badger, not the best hair. Still works though.

mrmoofo

I have tried and tried to use a DE – I bought a Mekur and a fist full of blades. But it irritates my skin and cuts me to shreds ….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Love a traditional wet shave from someone who knows what they are doing, but always puzzled by this retro love affair with razors that require you to have anti-bleeding protection to hand. There is a reason why modern razors were invented surely….?

chewkw
    Free Member

mrmoofo – Member

I have tried and tried to use a DE – I bought a Mekur and a fist full of blades. But it irritates my skin and cuts me to shreds ….

Two things that come to mind.

1. Your technique is wrong.
    2. You got lousy blades.

Try improving your technique with better blades and you shall enjoy shaving with DE razor.

As for the OP how about getting Feather Stainless Steel Razor ASD2(£140 plus incl VAT)? Expensive but very nice. You can sell it to me or part exchange if you don’t want it later on.

From here …

sadexpunk

*cough* so youll be selling it all on then? 😀 *cough*

bigblackshed

Closed comb 23C

Open comb 25C

Don’t bother with a razor pit. Blades are so cheap it’s not worth it, also you may damage the razor head.

Brushes are again a personal thing. Silver tip badger is very soft and will hold more water, therefore a better lather. Boar or Hog will be very course in comparison, but will help scrub up your stubble and help with ingrowing hairs. If that is an issue for you.

I used to get lots of ingrowing hairs with a multiblade, very few now with DE. I find I have less tendency to shave in all directions, the multi pass technique shaves nice and close without shaving against the grain.

firestarter
    Free Member

Interesting as i suffer with a lot of ingrowing hairs

sadexpunk

As for the OP how about getting Feather Stainless Steel Razor ASD2(£140 plus incl VAT)? Expensive but very nice. You can sell it to me or part exchange if you don’t want it later on.

waaay too much for me im afraid, especially when you consider the popular choice (merkur) is around £50 and would be plenty good enough for me. thanks for the suggestion tho.

slimporcini
    Free Member

I use a merkur 23c, currently using derby blades but have a pack of feathers in the cupboard. Just use wilkinson sword soap and brush. Every shave is a joy

firestarter
    Free Member

Anyone used a Edwin jagger DE89L they seem to be well regarded as a beginner

sharkbait
    Free Member

butterfly is a bit quicker but the mechanism will become slack over time (talking many years, but hey it’s a consideration)

The action on my 1949 Gillette Super Speed begs to differ…. still spot on – and I use it a lot.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I use a Muhle R89 (which is about £25) with Mitchell’s wool fat (purely because I like the pot it comes in and my OH likes the smell), a cheapo brush and whatever blades came in the last variety pack I got – I don’t really think they make a difference for me. The razor is well balanced and virtually identical to the Merkur 23C which is the usual recommendation.

I nick myself less with my DE than with my Wilkinson Sword cartridge job and shaving only takes a tiny bit longer.

chewkw
    Free Member

All my safety razors are Gillette with my favorite being fat handle tech (3 piece) which I think was produced in 1957 or something like that and they are all brilliant.

Drac

Love a traditional wet shave from someone who knows what they are doing, but always puzzled by this retro love affair with razors that require you to have anti-bleeding protection to hand. There is a reason why modern razors were invented surely….?

Well they’re there to make manufactures fantastic amounts of money, I can’t recall the last time I cut myself when shaving.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

There is a reason why modern razors were invented surely….?

They can invent what they want so long as I have DE razors because I am happy with shaving this way and nothing else.

sadexpunk

blimey, im spending waaaay too much time looking into this now, keep on following links on the internet, looking at all sorts of razors and info now 😀

its looking like the handling of the razor will end up being an important factor, long or short, satin or chrome, weight, knurled etc….

dont spose any high st stores sell these do they, so i can hold them myself before i buy?

im guessing id prefer long, satin and heavy, but until i hold them i wont know for sure which is comfiest.

thanks

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare gillette tech that you can borrow if you want to. Not heavy but is pretty mild so could give you an idea.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I ordered a edwin jagger 89l and a boar brush and a selection of blades this thread reminded me I needed to order to go with my fancy hand made fig shave cream in a pot our lass got me last Christmas. I shall report back when it arrives after I test it out 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Merkur 23c closed/Derby blades/Omega boar bristle brush/Proraso soap/Nivea balm.

Loads of stuff and advice here:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA7NyiBRCOhpuCm9Dq6b4BEiQA9D6qhWQAad-JB23pTtl5ZJyIzlGER3EO0UmVEWFPSr-8QcoaAqlj8P8HAQ

Method (you’ll need a variation for your own growth direction on the neck):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuA8HGacJw[/video]

I’ve recently moved to the full-blown trad DE shave and what I wasn’t prepared for was what an absolute pleasure it is. The guy in the video is correct.

Ready to take on the world. Every morning!

Enjoy. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: I went the whole nine yards and ordered one of these:

sadexpunk

I’ve got a spare gillette tech that you can borrow if you want to. Not heavy but is pretty mild so could give you an idea.

thanks mate, ive mailed you.

Well I ordered a edwin jagger 89l and a boar brush

what made you choose that razor mick? and why boar over badger?

thanks for the link mr woppit, just gonna watch it now…..

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

a butterfly is a bit quicker but the mechanism will become slack over time

beaten to it but I’ve got a Gillette SuperSpeed that’s the same age as me and it’s mechanism is in better condition than mine.

Sui
    Free Member

the EJ stuff is good,

I’ve now moved over the Feather blades as i got used to the shave, you get a much better cut. I’ve got loads of soaps (the missus bought me a job lot), though i’m not convinced i actually like them, the shave feels very rough in comparison to using a gel/cream. After shave cream is a MUST – work the shit right in! I used ot suffer ingrown hairs a lot, not anymore.

sadexpunk

thats one of the questions i was going to ask again….. are you chaps using yer expensive boss/YSL/armani type after shaves (i assume containing alcohol but smell lovely) or post shave balms/lotions/creams from these shaving shops (i assume a more subtle smell, sandalwood/lime etc etc)?

latest thoughts on what ill get are this brush and this bluebeards revenge razor. although im changing my mind every hour or so 😀

btw, any of you actually gone on from DE to cut-throat razors? just interested……

Cougar

I generally just use some form of moisturiser. Regular aftershave isn’t particularly good after a shave.

Cougar

PS: I went the whole nine yards and ordered one of these:

Got a link for that?

lemonysam
    Free Member

or post shave balms/lotions/creams from these shaving shops

I use the Aqueous cream my OH uses to treat her eczema when I’m feeling fancy.

firestarter
    Free Member

I got the boar as it was mentioned good for ingrowing hairs so thought id give it a go. And the edwin jagger got as good reviews as the merkur if not better and was cheaper too

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk,

I use cheapo aftershave like Brut, Denim, Old Spice, Floid Amber/Blue, Proraso, Speick or Blue Stratos. Sometimes together with Nivea sensitive balm or Proraso aftershave balm.

Shaving cream is Palmolive shave stick at 50p a pop that will last me few months.

Shaving brush is Kent H8 or Semogue 620 Boar Shaving Brush or a cheapo unbranded Chinese made (probably hairs from dead person).

Safety razors are mainly Gillette with my favourite being the 3 piece 1957 fat handle tech.

DE razor blades … Astra, Gillette, Iridium, Feather and some other ones … for the moment I’m on Astra.

Ya, your selection is good enough so start shaving …

No, cut-throat razor is to cut people off and not exactly for a quick shave.

:mrgreen:

edit: my set up is pretty cheap when I started collecting safety razor … ya, it spiral into massive collection … damn!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

are you chaps using yer expensive boss/YSL/armani type after shave

naaah. soap and brush, shave, after shave (proraso, tabac, old spice lime or geo trumper for special occaisions)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘few questions about DE razor shaving……’ is closed to new replies.