Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Fat Cards – have we done them yet?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Stunned I cant see a thread on these yet? Have we?

BBC News – Fat Cards

Genius? Horrendous? Load of balony?

jimjam
    Free Member

One person posting on social media makes a story does it? If the offending card peddler had simply called her fat would it be news worthy?

binners

wwaswas

One person posting on social media makes a story does it?

I’ve seen multiple instances of it and British Transport Police were asking for people to contact them if they’d been given one.

If the offending card peddler had simply called her fat would it be news worthy?

“Man roams underground calling people fat”

I reckon it would have some legs in Metro, yes.

Stoner
    Free Member

I wonder what offence they would charge them with?

jimjam
    Free Member

wwaswas

I’ve seen multiple instances of it and British Transport Police were asking for people to contact them if they’d been given one.

Link please?

Stoner

I wonder what offence they would charge them with?

Speaking uncomfortable truths.

nickc

classy

no pudding…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Needless to say, the savage toad-people of 4chan are really into it. ReturnofKings will presumably get round to it tomorrow.

The rest of the internet is basically recycling the same couple of tweeted anecdotes.

Ghastly thing to do. Person behind it is either some sort of advertising chump, or just another sad little “neo-masculinist” PUA PoS. Possibly both. 😐

wwaswas

BTP – first tweet: https://twitter.com/search?q=%40BTP&src=typd

There’s a lot of ‘noise’ on twitter about it now so can’t see the other tweets I saw in search results. Happy for you to trawl through them though.

jimjam
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

BTP – first tweet: https://twitter.com/search?q=%40BTP&src=typd

There’s a lot of ‘noise’ on twitter about it now so can’t see the other tweets I saw in search results. Happy for you to trawl through them though.

Okay, so you don’t have a link and it’s a news story about one woman’s tweet about a card that she might have recieved or she might well have made herself. I dunno, I don’t really think it’s newsworthy.

EDIT: Just noticed the woman who started all this, Callie Thorpe, is a blogger who’s website is called From the Corners of the Curve. Self promotion me thinks. I wonder will she be on “This Morning” this morning.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

No doubt about obesity being a problem in the UK & a growing one too (I’m here all week…)

However, I’m not sure public shaming is the best way to go about dealing with it!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m not sure public shaming is the best way to go about dealing with it!

While I hesitate to give the tedious little shite the page-views he so craves, read
    the delightful Matt Forney and see if you can detect bona fide concern about obesity being a public health problem. This is just something these entitled wallys have decided to be horrible about.

MSP

It’s not public shaming, it is bullying pure and simple. It is just an excuse, a perceived weakness that a nasty bullying prick(s) have decided to exploit for their own ends.

monkeychild
    Free Member

From “From the Corners of the Curve” She wrote I am very lucky that as a blogger, or as I like to call myself ‘professional internet lady’. Professional internet lady?!?!?! Get in the flipping sea!!!!!!!

Reminds me of the South Park Yelp episode.

beej

So the original source of this story is from a woman who runs a blog “professionally” that covers fat shaming in the introduction.

Hmm.

BigDummy
    Free Member

the woman who started all this, Callie Thorpe,

The original tweet in the BBC article is from someone called “Kara Florish”, who doesn’t seem to be Callie Thorpe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone in the office this morning has been handed one?

Kryton57

MSP – Member
    It’s not public shaming, it is bullying pure and simple. It is just an excuse, a perceived weakness that a nasty bullying prick(s) have decided to exploit for their own ends.

Although there is no doubt MSP is correct, this has now provided another opportunity for governmental control of the masses by outlawing “insults”, no doubt under the pretence of Euro human rights law 13.4.6.3.2.5.7

beej

The original tweet in the BBC article is from someone called “Kara Florish”, who doesn’t seem to be Callie Thorpe.

Fair enough. I still call an orchestrated publicity stunt for something.

I’m going with Vistaprint.

jekkyl

I love the thought that a group of people were so motivated to get together and discuss their aims, having meetings about what to put on the cards and discussing how they will operate. Can a group of humans be so motivated by loathing, espicially if the group has women as members.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oh hooray. That’s where Fat People Hate went after even Reddit decided they didn’t want to host the bastards.

It’s conceivable that the large ladies are inventing this to get attention, but (unless you think they’re also spending their free time inventing giant online communities of petty-minded gits complaining about them), there doesn’t seem to be any need to invent it…

mos

It’s not fair, fat people can always lose weight, it’s ugly people who need to be shunned.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

WTF is a “I like to call myself ‘professional internet lady”?

cinnamon_girl

It’s not fair, fat people can always lose weight

It depends on whether they’re fat due to over eating.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Big boned or thyroid problem? It can’t be pie love.

retro83
    Free Member

I give it a week before it is revealed that she printed the card herself.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mark Clark has a new gig I see

So the people handing out these cards are they stunning ripped fit hard bodies themselves or just idiots?

lunge

It depends on whether they’re fat due to over eating.

Everyone is fat due to overeating, myself included. What causes the overeating is a different and more complex question, as is the reason why they may not use much energy.

But back on topic, this is just plain nasty behaviour, as simple as that really. I’d suggest giving it publicity is not a great thing to be doing either.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

just idiots

😉

cinnamon_girl

Big boned or thyroid problem? It can’t be pie love.

MrSmith – you really are quite offensive. I do hope these cards will still be handed out in a few weeks time when I visit my private thyroid doctor in London. It will give me the opportunity of telling them how crap the not-a-health-service treats thyroid sufferers like myself. In particular I’ll be able to tell them that my now ex NHS Endocronologist has ignored my concerns regarding my weight – it’s increased by nearly 50% due to oedema and am very close to being classified as obese. Formerly a size 10 with low body fat.

In fact I struggle to walk let alone ride a **** bike.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Your condition (I hope you get more help from the Hunt strangled NHS) is not why obesity is increasing especially in the young, fact is there were fewer overweight people 20-30 years ago. I would be very surprised if the majority of them are due to other causes than eating poor quality food, refined flour, high GI refined sugars and a lack of exercise, I’m happy to be proved wrong.

cinnamon_girl

MrSmith – there are 30,000 members of a UK thyroid support forum that I use. The NHS diagnoses by using the TSH test that was never designed as a stand alone test. Added to which the ranges in the UK are far too high, way higher than the rest of the world so less people being diagnosed. More and more research is coming to light proving that it’s more complex than just a series of numbers.

I also have to fund my own medication despite having an NHS exemption card. That involves buying meds online from outside the UK from a number of different suppliers.

jimjam
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

MrSmith – there are 30,000 members of a UK thyroid support forum that I use.

There are 39 million overweight people in the uk, 16 million of which are obese going by the NHS website anyway. Sorry to hear about your condition, it sounds awful, but it’s not the reason the majority of people are fat.

martinhutch

I’d much rather be overweight than that ugly inside. Jeesh.

McHamish
    Free Member

I know someone who’s overweight…she’s incredibly unwell and spends most of her time in hospital with a life limiting disease that also affects her weight.

She’d be devastated to receive one of these cards.

In my view, being overweight is preferable to being the horrible, nasty, ignorant people who hand out these cards.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

clearly not a great strategy to solve the nations obesity issue. It is bullying and a little nasty although if I am honest I’ve sat on the tube somedays and what the card has said has gone through my head, but like a reasonable, mostly sane human, I have dismissed the thought and would never say anything BUT for me it does raise the issue in our society just how we think we should tackle the question.

bad Sugar is the nicotine of our era, it will kill future generations alive now, I predict it will carry government health warnings and be on the top hidden shelf.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I notice they’ve not been brave enough to hand them to any big lads – I’m a bit “cuddly” myself, I’d looooove to be handed one of those, they’d be under no illusion how I felt about their bullying antics.

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay

I notice they’ve not been brave enough to hand them to any big lads – I’m a bit “cuddly” myself, I’d looooove to be handed one of those, they’d be under no illusion how I felt about their bullying antics.

Don’t get yourself worked up, I doubt “they” will as I strongly suspect something like that will be the work of one individual. Quite possibly looking to achieve some publicity.

“They” remind me of all those muslims who refuse to serve soldiers in uniform. You know, them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just had a word around my Team in the office, nope.. none have had a card handed to them.

We’re all eating Cakes as it’s World Aids Day and someone decided on Cake being the right medium to get us to contribute..

I’ve had two already and I feel ill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Fat Cards – have we done them yet?’ is closed to new replies.