Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Family Riding & Accommodation Peak District Area – Recommendations Please!
  • camster
    Free Member

Help please!

We are looking for somewhere to stay (hotel or B&B)which is suitable for me the wife and our 2 young sons. I don't know the area but fancy a pretty village with access to some family trails or walks(sons are 5 & 7). I gather the High Peak and/or Tissington Trails are both suitable but if there's nice single/double track that's not too long, technical or hilly, that would be good too.

Would love to hear any recommendations for places to ride/see/things to do/places to stay. I should add it's only for 2 nights and we are Worcester based so south of Buxton to limit travel.

Thanks

camster
    Free Member

any ideas ta?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The high peak and tissington trails are both excellent for young children as they are virtually flat and never muddy as they are of a stone/ash construction. In the high peaks case there are only 3 inclines worth mentioning in it's legnth . Not much to do on them so a picnic is highly recommended to keep the kids happy. There is also carsington water within 5 miles of that area, which is the local reservoir and has an 8 mile loop around it. Bit more challenging hill wise for the kids, but still of a good construction so no major muddy areas.
    Mountains of hotels and b and b's. Try Ashbourne, wirksworth, matlock, belper, which are probably your nearest towns to the trails, or there's villages such as brassington, carsington etc. Too many to mention. Any more info required, happy to help.
    Oh and we rode the high peak today with our kids of 7 and 4

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camster
    Free Member

Cheers wrightyson, did a bit of research on the web and have a few B&B options in the area. Finding aplace to stay where there is a family room takes a bit more research though.

I got a trail guide for the White Peak area and really want to try out some of the routes. I confess we tend to head to Wales, Quantocks so it's about time I headed North although I'll be lucky to hit some of the singletrack with the family in tow.

High Peak looks a good option, thanks

jasonm945
    Free Member

We went Here last year, just outside Ashbourne but they have 2 Cottages that they rent out, excellent facilities and even a swimming pool (open during the summer).
    Best of all it's straight down the hill and onto the Tissington Trail with Carsington Water about 5 miles away.

Jay

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you do the high peak you can drop down onto the black rocks area, kids and mum have picnic, dad has mad hr up in the woods above. It's worth missing the sandwichs, trust me! 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Family Riding & Accommodation Peak District Area – Recommendations Please!’ is closed to new replies.