Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Ever thought about pedalling off somewhere? Touring inspiration please…
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Just spent three and a half months riding China Kazakhstan Uzbekistan Kyrgyzstan and back into China.

Overstayed a visa in China and ended up staying on a moneychangers floor hiding from the police; attempted robbery and threatened murder in Kazakhstan; Stayed on a marijuana farm; Bribed my way onto the oldest medressa in Central asia at sundown; Got caught up in the recent Urumqi riots and arrested as a suspected journalist. Camped in the middle of sandstorms; stayed in yurts; lots of bivvying in the middle of nowhere; became incredibly ill a hundred miles from the nearest habitation and had to cycle; rode through snowy passes at altitude; Drinking from brown streams and puddles after running out of water; met lots of wonderful people, met lots of people who i never want to meet again. Was offered a wife in Kyrgyzstan; Invited into many people's homes; ate some incredible food and much more food which was awful. Was I believe in the last hundred people to EVER experience the ancient islamic city of Kashgar (due to be knocked down, and from what i gather still no access for foreigners). Rode the olympic cycling facilities in Beijing. Bivvied out on top of the great wall.

I feel bad that I came home, should have shrugged off all percieved responsibilities and kept going.

Go ride, you can always find ways to make money and keep going.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Ever thought about pedalling off somewhere? Touring inspiration please…’ is closed to new replies.