Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Erm, I think I might have built myself into a niche
  • adrianp7
    Free Member

Okay, so I honestly started off just bodging together a bike from what I had hanging around. Aim was a singlespeed 29er. I chose an On One frame because a) You can't buy 29er frames easily in Vancouver (probably simple a few hundred miles away in San Francisco but not here) b) I'm a Brit and like to show the Norco, RM and Brodie riders that there are other makes out there and c) it was cheaper than importing something from the States (yes, really).

Anyway all was going well until I got to controls and realised I had no flat bar brake levers. Before you know it, what I believe might be a 'monster cross' was born. I only know this because after I finished it I found a picture of a Singular which looks much the same. The important point is that it is probably the most comfortable rigid bike I have ever ridden (not ideal for the North Shore of course but everywhere else). Oh, and it confuses the hell out of the local Canucks when I say these are the latest thing in the UK! I think it looks okay as well.

Anyone else out there with an 'odd but right' bike?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Its a monster….im not feeling it.

rolfharris
    Free Member

They aren't the "hot new thing" over here. There's a few kicking about. Don't tar us with your brush, thanks.

clareymorris

I like it – the yellow and the brown really complement each other .

monsta
    Free Member

Yellow?? Looks more like coffee to me…

racefaceec90

nice!!!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

If my eye balls could vomit…..

CountZero

I'm with clairey on this one. I rather like it, ignore the naysayers, they know nothing. It's your bike, your opinion is the only one that's worth a damn. Much rather yours than, say, a Jones.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It's pretty sweet in an odd brown leather, odd kinda way… but haven't you simply created a cyclocross bike with fat tyres (albeit from a mountain bike)?

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I like it – apart from the colour.

If the collars n cuffs were black that'd be a nudge in the right direction!

Job well done me tinks…. I think "firestarter" off here had/has a similar setup

ex-pat
    Free Member

Actually I quite like that. My back wouldn't though

sofaking
    Free Member

Anyone else out there with an 'odd but right' bike?

it looks so wrong but rides so right

Stoner
    Free Member

I like that very much. Good effort.

Now just colour match the forks to the frame….

Kahurangi

I like the look, but are drop bars not a little narrow and nasty for riding off-road?

rOcKeTdOg

isn't it sand?
    i have something similar waiting in the wings

firestarter
    Free Member

very nice mate

rolfharris
    Free Member

"are drop bars not a little narrow and nasty for riding off-road? "

Yes. Completely the wrong tool for the job for anything really serious. I know some godlike figures on here have probably ridden Fort Bill DH on them, but didn't we do this experimenting in the early 90's and call it quits after that?

I don't like this flat DH bar bollocks that's going about either…

grumm
    Free Member

Looks a bit like my Kaffenback so I like it 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

vive la difference Luke!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'll let it vive so long's you all keep it on the canal towpath where it belongs…

rOcKeTdOg

you need some of these Luke

Clink

I kind of like it; but why the chain tensioner with the horizontal dropouts?

epicyclo

Jon Taylor – Member
    I like the look, but are drop bars not a little narrow and nasty for riding off-road?

I would have agreed 3 months ago. What converted me was riding my single speed cross bike round the 'Puffer course. I noticed that I was climbing stuff easily in a high gear.

For the 'Puffer Lite I fitted On-One Midge bars and raised my gearing. My lap times were much faster than usual (still not faaast though 🙂 ) about 10 – 15%. On the Viewrock descent at first the "headfirst" position made me nervous, but when I realised I didn't need the usual deathgrip to go over the stutter bumps left by the skid kiddies on their full sus bikes, I became much more confident.

Climbing is definitely much better with them.

On technical stuff I'm still cautious, but then I am not that great on that anyway.

I recommend trying it for yourself. Use a angled up stem to get the bar as high as you can.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pahhhhh!

my mostercross has a roadie 22mm slick rear, 1.95×26 front with 80mm travel and drop levers connected to v's for mahooooosive power.

ourmaninthenorth

I rather like it. Especially as it's got rolfy all wound up. 😉

Can't tell from the pic how wide the bars are (would have thought 44s or 46s would be best), but at least they're at a more reasonable height compared to the saddle than most bikes of this genre.

Brown and sand and silver look nice. Thank goodness we're getting back to colour after the all black and all white phases of the last few years….

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What clink said.

AdamM
    Free Member

I like it, except for that bloody awful sand colour. Get it repainted sharpish.

Kramer
    Free Member

I like it as well.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I really like that. Monster crossers look ace.

bukkakehairdo
    Free Member

coogan
    Free Member

Jesus… seriously fugly.

Andy

I like. Similar scheme to my inbred. Oh and that colour isn't Sand its "Volvo biscuit biege".

clubber
    Free Member

Can't say I like it much but if the owner's happy with it (though it's clearly rubbish to say it's the latest thing in the UK just because a few niche-wh0res on here have them) then why not?

The colour is sand – my 853 normal wheeled SS inbred was the same colour – had it repainted because it's horrible IMO.

mudsux
    Free Member

it's like dating a fat bird. does everything you ask and more. great personality. but you only go where your friends won't see you and you definitely don't boast about it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Erm, I think I might have built myself into a niche’ is closed to new replies.