Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Epson all-in-one printer – anyone had one repaired?
  • cinnamon_girl

Had to contact Epson support centre due to an error code which apparently needs to be looked at by a repair centre.

All-in-one printer is 14 months old, just fitted a load of new cartridges too. Am I being unreasonable to expect a printer to last longer than this? Previous Epson lasted 6 years.

Anyone had a printer repaired? Cost?

Thanks. 🙂

scotroutes

EEC Directive 1999/44/EC gives you 2 years minimum warranty for electrical goods. Quote that to them and see what they say 8)

FWIW, you should go direct to your retailer. Your warranty is with them, not Epson.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I doubt it’s worth it. eBay the cartridges and buy a new one.

cinnamon_girl

Ah really? Well I moaned at their support centre but didn’t get a response. Will have another go.

Have you a link please scotroutes? Thanks.

Edit: thanks!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I had an Epson all in one, was a pain. If it’s an inkjet they have obsolescence built into them. Mine had an ink pad that soaks up ink when you do things like clean the nozzles. Once the ink pad is full the thing stops working and needs to be serviced, which is typically more expensive than buying a new one. Quite annoying really.

cinnamon_girl

Just checked and, would you believe, it’s 4 days over its 1 year guarantee!

I’m done with Epson.

Thanks again.

stealthcat

As I understand it, the EEC directive overrides the guarantee, but they will claim this is not the case…

Have fun!

tthew

What is the error code? If you can find out what it means, (usually possible on line) then it has to be worth having a crack at repairing it yourself?!

cinnamon_girl

OK, have fired off a polite e-mail to Epson asking if they can help and pointed out that their previous one lasted for 6 years.

What I did not realise was how bloomin’ difficult, no actually impossible, to find an e-mail address for the big A whom I bought it from.

I’m standing my ground!

cinnamon_girl

tthew – their support centre said it needed to be investigated by an Epson repair centre. Was making some strange noises I have to say!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had Canon and they’ve lasted years, generally we get bored of them before they break. Business model is to sell printers at zero profit / loss and make money on cartridges so it’s probbaky not worth their while or yours to look at it. It’s probably cheaper for them to just send you a new one. Sad but it’s the disposable world we live in.

cinnamon_girl

jambalaya – I know, it’s how it is but I can’t get my head around spending £90 on a printer that’s only worked for 1 year and 4 days.

unovolo
    Free Member

What error code is it?
    List of error codes
    Lots of you tube videos and work arounds on the net depending on the code listed.

molgrips
    Free Member

jambalaya – I know, it’s how it is but I can’t get my head around spending £90 on a printer that’s only worked for 1 year and 4 days.

You could just be randomly unlucky of course. But the problem is that they are all made cheaply by machines and far eastern slaves; whereas having it fixed by an engineer is far more expensive.

Same is true of lots of complex things – just economics.

cinnamon_girl

Just an update … Epson were distinctly unimpressed with the mention of SOGA and the EEC Directive, in fact I would say that I’ve been communicating with a bunch of parrots. Useless!

Now escalated to their CEO, I wonder if he cba’d to reply.

On the positive side the retailer is being helpful.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I think you’ve been a bit unlucky, especially with just putting new ink in. But I wouldn’t waste too much of your time on it and wouldn’t throw more than say £50 at repairing it, otherwise you may as well buy a new one anyway.

I just had a fairly expensive hp printer go faulty at 5 years old. Looked briefly at repair and then bought a new Canon printer instead. Just too much hassle and I needed to print stuff off in the meantime. The hp is now sitting in my wife’s office waiting for the IT guy to take a look. If it can be repaired cheaply I will, but I’m expecting it to be uneconomic to repair. Also running low on ink, so would need new cartridges soon too.

I think home printers are now really a consumable. Even the big office machines on lease get updated every 3 years or so. Goodness knows where all the old ones end up. There must be a mountain of obsolete/broken printers somewhere.

scotroutes

I thought we’d already done the bit whereby it’s the retailers responsibility? Of course they are being helpful if you’re doing their job for them.

cinnamon_girl

Indeed scotroutes but I thought Epson just might be interested in some customer feedback and it would be easier than communicating with the big ‘A’. Covering all bases I guess. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

We had a WF2520 at work which just stopped printing black after a cartridge change.
    It worked out cheaper to get a new one and replace the faulty one that it would to post it back and get it looked at.
    I fixed it and have a nice home printer now.

hels
    Free Member

I had endless problems with Epson AIO printer when I downgraded to windows 8. I de-installed and re-installed the drivers a few times, lots of switching on and off then it finally recovered. (Then I killed it with my cheap refilled cartridges which leaked everywhere when I was driving with it in the back of the car and forgot to sit it upright).

Worth a try ?

I bought another one dead cheap on Ebay and it has been fine so far – cross fingers.

hels
    Free Member

P.S those error codes are nonsense btw – if you haven’t worked that out already.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had the same experience with an Epson this year. Old one lasted years. New one lasted a year and died shortly after getting new ink.

Went in the bin. That’s the last Epson I buy.

The pig ugly Brother is working nicely.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Epson all-in-one printer – anyone had one repaired?’ is closed to new replies.