Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Edinburghers – date for your diary, and anyone else interested in a 'challenge'
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

On Saturday 11 June, one of my many ‘silly’ ideas will become a reality. Five other crazy peoplefriends have agreed to ride 31 laps of Arthur’s seat with me – 164km/102 miles and 2,790m/9,150ft ascent in total.

Anyone who would like to join us to ride as many or little laps as they like will be welcome, or even just come along to cheer us on/provide some support from the side of the road. We are kicking off at 10am, and plan to ride 4 laps per hour so we will be out until at least 6pm! We will be passing the car park by the palace 4 times every hour so wait there if you want to join us and jump on as we go past (our stops will be limited mostly to food/water stops otherwise we will never finish) or if you want to catch us en route, 3 or 4 of us will be in Hervelo team kit (black and pink) and easy to spot – especially if you drop by later on in the day!

We are helping Druidh raise money for Marie Curie, in advance of his LeJog trip at the end of the month.

The six of us are:
    Claire (dirtygirlonabike)
    Colin (druidh)
    Andy (mustard)
    Matt (the southern yeti)
    Dave (idave)
    And Sandy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m away…but I might come back just to throw turds at TSY, and glue carbon to folks’ bikes.

laraichean

Alas a busy date – same day as the Glentress Seven… (check the tweedlove film)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Bonkers!!!

Good luck 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Cynic-al, can you make us some custom carbon accessories for the day? 😀

Aware it clashes with Tweedlove, but it was the only date that suited the initial few who signed up to do this with me.

I suspect after the 11th i won’t be so keen on my usual Tuesday night hill rep/speedwork sessions up there for the rest of the summer 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can do…what are you thinking of?

Carbon fibre mallet to hit yourself with in case it doesn’t hurt enough?

druidh
    Free Member

Carbon fibre sail for attaching on the down-wind sections….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ummm… thanks Al… can you also make me a carbon fibre turd deflector??

Sammie-Louise x 😡

swavis

Is this you mounting a serious attack at Junes calorie challenge Claire? 😉 lol

Diane
    Free Member

😀 Sounds mad – but good fun – I couldn’t do it! Well done – photos and update required

TheFlyingOx

Which way round you doing it? If I’m onshore, I’ll pop along for a few laps.

druidh
    Free Member

Clockwise – with the traffic flow.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Would have come along for a few laps but doing Glentress 7, can’t remember when it finished but might pop along after to offer some support.

Good luck anyway, even just 3.1 laps seems like a lot to me!!

Are you riding on road or mtbs?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I might come along and ride a lap or two! Will probably wait until later in the day when you’re all tired and I might have a chance of keeping up…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Riding on the road.

Epicsteve – we aren’t racing round it. The main aim is to complete it so it’ll be a social pace so you’ll be able to keep up. Plus i’m reckoning that by lap 15, we’ll be starting to hurt…

stevemtb
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant riding on the road on road bikes or riding on the road on mtbs?

102 miles round Athurs Seat off-road would have been a level above the superhuman effort you’re already doing!!

bigjim

Have fun and good luck, won’t be in Edinburgh that weekend, but 2 laps of arthurs is enough for me as it is!

druidh
    Free Member

* bump *

Anyone looking for something to do in Edinburgh tomorrow can either watch/accompany us on this mad challenge or go to this….(I know where I’d like to be 😉 )

cinnamon_girl

Good luck to all. 😀

Anyone have a pic of Arthur’s Seat please?

druidh
    Free Member

Happy to oblige

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I am intending to come along for a wee while. It’ll be good to put a couple of faces to names.

cinnamon_girl

druidh – oh, so it’s unimpressive is it? 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

Which way round are we going?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Up the steep side is the only way to do it.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Stuart, we are going clockwise with the traffic flow.

13thfloormonk

Am catching an evening train so should have time for some morning laps, see you all bright and early at ten!

druidh
    Free Member

13fm – set off fast enough and I’m sure you can complete 31 before we get half way 🙂

robgarrioch

Hadn’t seen this till 2 mins ago, not that it makes any difference…. Good luck all, always enjoy a lap of ‘the seat’, hope the weather + traffic are kind 🙂

fraseruk
    Free Member

Good effort, fingers crossed for a calm day.

radoggair
    Free Member

might make it for about 3 laps but need to be home by 12:20 to get ready for a bloody wedding ( not mine).

onehundredthidiot

Might be ablw to pop along for alap before heading to get on my mtb. hangover pemitting.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Fair do’s!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sadly I won’t make it, good luck…

druidh
    Free Member

And good luck to you too Al!

Kit
    Free Member

Isn’t the Naked Bike Ride happening round Arthur’s Seat this afternoon? Go on, admit it, you’re all just going for a perv 😉

jimmy

If I’d have known about this earlier I’d have been there, but I didn’t (and its raining)… Have donated anyway and has no one else notcied the link doesn’t work on the first post….? Shame on yoooouuuuu!

get donating

13thfloormonk

That was stinking, numb and sodden, glad I had a legit excuse to bail. Good luck out there guys!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I bailed after (I think) 13 laps, Ian.

Legs felt good but I was just too cold – couldn’t feel my feet and gear changes were becoming more and more clumsy due to my lack of fine motor control. they were still going when I slunk ignominiously out of the car park…

13thfloormonk

Yeah, you got the rough end of the deal there I thought, you always seemed to be out by yourself! I left you at the end to do a final lap with the birthday girl then left.

druidh
    Free Member

jimmy – thanks a lot for the cash. Makes it (almost) worthwhile.

The hugs were even better 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Edinburghers – date for your diary, and anyone else interested in a 'challenge'’ is closed to new replies.