Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Easton Haven wheels?
  • stevied
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=85170

Anyone running these? Should I get some? I’ve heard that there have been issues with bearings but they get a 2 year warranty…very tempted at the price.

goatster
    Free Member

There were A LOT of problems with the bearings, not just a few. We stopped selling them in the end, but you pays ya money… 2 year warranty is no good if you actually want to ride. T

honourablegeorge

You’ll need that warranty, by all accounts.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Search forum or mtbr, loads of threads with consensus being bearings collapse and weird hub design needs constant adjustment. Not worth half price.

Pretty though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch the 2011 ones, I know there have been ongoing hub revisions which has made the 2012 ones a lot less prone to the problems the earlier hubs had.

I bought (well, won a set on Ebay) of 2012 Haven Carbon’s for next to bugger all, to try & see what they were like. The hub/axle design is fairly simple, and they use an off the shelf bearing.

For spares, they are an off the shelf Sapim spoke, so nothing unusual there. The nipple design is specific to Easton, as its double threaded, but they are available to buy individually with the spokes (about £1 for the spoke & nip). Freehub is just the same as other Easton hubs (M1 freehub), which you can buy for around £40 if it’s knackered.

The bearings have tended to collapse as a result of the preload adjuster on the hub being done up too tight & crushing the bearing, causing it to break down. On the earlier wheels the design meant they basically came loose with use, the latter (2012+), the thread was reversed to resolve this issue. Regardless, it’s a largely pointless design that complicates things for no real reason..

I have a set of end caps I got made at work that resolve this issue & work, funnily enough like a Pro 2. I’ve been meaning to put them on but haven’t got round to it yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Easton Haven wheels?’ is closed to new replies.