Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ease of stealing a bike
  • B_Leach
    Free Member

I’m sure his last vid did the miles on here, have we done this one yet?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

andyl
    Free Member

excellent. Amazing isn’t it.

Did anyone who went to bespoked spot the bike with the built in lock?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I bet its the same in most large cities. 🙁

AndyP
    Free Member

idiot colleague of mine once locked his bike by putting a D-lock through the front wheel and onto a railing. Someone merely flipped the QR and wandered off with the rest of the bike.
    IC’s comments: ‘ooh, I’ve been unlucky there’.
    No, you’ve been your usual f***tard self.

verses

Mrs V once did the clever thing of placing the lock through her frame and around a bollard. Tea Leaf presumably just picked the bike up so the lock slid off the bollard and then rode away…

This was around 8 years ago… Yes I still regularly mention it… Yes it’s a miracle I still have a Mrs V…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You don’t need any tools most of the time – a lot of thieves just use the bike as a lever. They just pick the bike off the ground, twist it, and it’s gone. Even the strongest of D-locks can be broken in this way.

Basically – always expect your bike to be nicked if you live in a city and you lock it outside. If you don’t want your bike nicked, don’t lock it up in the street. I’ve even had a 99 quid Decathlon special that was found in the cellar of my house when I moved in nicked from outside work. It was on the first day I even used the thing, and was probably not even worth a fiver. My mate had the grips nicked of his old 18 quid rat BMX. The grips! 😆

footflaps

But they fixies – the passers-by probably were kind souls and thought ‘He’s doing that guy a favour by stealing his fakenger, saving him from looking a total tool. Now he’ll think twice and buy a proper bike and his life will be so much better’.

brakes
    Free Member

Even the strongest of D-locks can be broken in this way.

really?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

really?

Yeah, seen it done on a couple of Kryptonite ones I had and seen loads more other makes broken on the CCTV at work. They do act as a prevention if there are easier pickings nearby, but there isn’t much you can do if a scrote really wants your bike. Sad state of affairs really.

BoardinBob
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ease of stealing a bike’ is closed to new replies.