Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Dyson – are they still any good?
  • prettygreenparrot

Get another Dyson. I still have my DC01. It works well. The filters get clogged with plaster dust but you soon know. I'd hate to think of all that crud getting into the motor. You notice the suck reduces if it gets very full too. It's a shame they need emptying. And they smell better than any bag cleaner I've used.

I remember using a Henry when I worked in a store. I didn't like it.

busydog
    Free Member

Have had a Dyson for almost 5 years and it has been excellent. Need to keep the filters clean and empty regularly. Just purchased on of their handheld vacs and it is so much better than the relatively worthless DustBuster that I replaced. It sort of looks like a hand-held death-ray machine in a cheap science fiction movie but works very well.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Our dyson is shit, constantly blocks for no reason other than crap design, every other time i use it, i have to take it part to make it better than a dust pan and brush….is old ish but, every henry i've used has been miles ahead, even in the wet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flatfish
    Free Member

how many contract cleaners do you see using a dyson? i rest my case m'lud.

scotster
    Free Member

Are we all getting carried away with hoovers here??? How lovely.

Dyson – 9 yrs old. Still going strong. If needed there is a fixed price no quibble 'we'll come and fix it' if you call Dyson for abot £70.

Or.. a Miele.

Eat my dirt!!!

scotster
    Free Member

IN defence of Dyson v Henrys. Do Henrys do 'proper' uprights that brush the carpet? If so .. respect. If not..love the brush!

I've used my Dyson for traditional carpet brushing cleaning and sucking up endless DIY building crap and it has washable filters and the hoses can all be pulled to pieces for when you get a couple of 3 inch screws in there tangled with rockwool.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Dyson again here. 8 years old and used for the last 3 as the weapon of choice for cleaning in a chalet business (we clean a bigger area more often than you, I guarantee it!).

Became slightly less reliable recently and we wondered, was the motor going, had our complete inattention to cleaning the filter finally taken its toll?

No, we'd just pulled on the cable a few too many times. New plug and it's good as new.

dyna-ti

I found mine 😀
    It was lying out at the bin along the road,proudly carried it home and cleared thee blockage,probably the reason it got binned
    Works perfectly now,its the best if not cheapest hoover ive had 8)

AndyP
    Free Member

Are we all getting carried away with hoovers here??? How lovely.
    no, Dysons.

clunker

We all must be a clean bunch on STW 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

how many contract cleaners do you see using a dyson? i rest my case m'lud.

They have different requirements, don't they? They have to be reliable when they are used 6 hours a day. As for cleaning power, well if my house was as dirty as this office is after the 'cleaners' have been in, I'd.. well.. change my hoover 🙂

At the end of the day Henrys don't have a rotating brush on the head, and Dysons do. That makes a big difference. Oh and for the last word in cleaning carpets get a Vax carpet washer. We got one for £80 and it got rid of far more crud than any hoover ever did.

andy_hamgreen

Dyson = mass hysteria
    used to have one – now have a Sebo – much better – or so my wife tells me (in fact she told me 'How the hell would you know?' in the first place :D)

molgrips
    Free Member

Dyson = mass hysteria

Not in my case. I bought mine based on shopping around. Well, in John Lewis anyway.

As for mass hysteria, maybe – but perhaps, like apple, they were the first people to design a hoover that didn't look stupid.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Dyson was never mass hysteria, it was a genuine design classic. the washing machines were a bit silly though.

you don't see commercial cleaners using dysons because they are made of plastic, commercial vacuums don't need to be as powerful as they are generally used more frequently and they tend to use bags as they are a lot easier and more hygenic to dispose of.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

they were the first people to design a hoover that didn't look stupid.

😆

What?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

seriously though, I think they are over-designed and unwieldy. The hoses are too delicate as well

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd much rather do stairs with our Dyson than a Henry.

scotster
    Free Member

Big vote for the £80 well spent on a VAX.
    Makes your carpets like new!

Gary_C

What are these 'vacuum cleaners' of which you speak….?????

😀

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Top tip for Dyson owners: Apart from cleaning the filters regularly, I also buy a new "lifetime" filter once a year for less than £20. Then it sucks as good as it did when new!

Mine's been going for 8 yrs so far…

zaskar
    Free Member

My Mum's Dyson DC03 worked a treat but because it was on those multi coloured plastic ones-it was fragile as hell and I used the extended warranty 5+ to mend it from basic hoovering-it would snap!

Hope it's tougher now. Had an Electrolux copy-been great.

Adopt a Dyson but make sure it doesn't have brittle bones…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah.. I had to buy a new lifetime filter for my old one after my then housemate used it to clean out his room and the exhaust air stank of his smelly socks permanently. Ugh.

GTDave
    Free Member

For carpet, an upright Dyson. DC08 here, been faultless since new (8 yrs ago).
    Not the best for other flooring types though.

-m-
    Free Member

I rented a room in a house (more than 10 years ago now) where the owner bought a Sebo because he didn't want a Dyson and the woman in John Lewis said it was much better. To me it was an over-priced regular vacuum cleaner – nothing special to distinguish it (and justify the price) over any other conventional bag device. His cleaner was never particularly impressed by it either.

When I moved out I bought a Dyson. I still have it for use in the garage (its duties in the house were taken over by another Dyson). Apart from the power switch (which is stuck on, but hardly the end of the world) it all works as well as the day I bought it.

I agree that you see lots of Dysons at the tip, but then they are fairly popular (far more so than Sebo / Miele), and as has been said above they are fairly easy to repair/refurbish so tend to be worth separating out and 'recycling'.

avdave2

First one good made in the UK lasted for years second one outsourced to far east dead after a couple of years. May be one of thee few things where quality dropped when manufacturing moved abroad.

Bought a Sebo to replace it which are still made in Germany and it's what the guys in the shop all used at home and they sell Dysons and Miele as well. Cheaper than a Dyson as well.

Is it any good?, hold on i'll go and ask the wife.

Olly
    Free Member

What are these 'vacuum cleaners' of which you speak….?????

+1

alecangus
    Free Member

My next will be a Roomba – bit more expensive but I'll never have to do the hoovering again! Plus it'll make me feel all "Tomorrow's World"

jond
    Free Member

Ours is probably over 10 years old, stair hugger thing (DC03?) – we use the washable filters and wash 'em every few months (plus I keep a pair of older more knackered ones for diy use so I don't clog the house ones with plaster dust etc.

Needed to reterminate the cable cos it gave up inside the spool , no problem otherwise, gets (ab)used byt a cleaner every week or two as well.

Probably other things suck a bit better than ours, but not having a bloomin bag's probably saved a lot of £ over the years…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We've got A Dyson at home but at woik we have Henry's. Used & abused by prisoners & they never seem to go wrong. ( & they seem to work)

Christowkid
    Free Member

Following an earlier thread on here, having had 2 Dysons, went for a much recommended SEBO.
    Tempted by a Meile but have heard they get a lot of returns.
    Anyway…..got a Sebo via Amazon and really like it. Understated, but works really well.
    Q

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Dyson – are they still any good?’ is closed to new replies.