Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dusk 'til Dawn 2015 – what happening?
  • strike
    Free Member

Reading around and a bit confused – I know the previous organizer has left mtb racing, but then read that his successors were taking over (in collaboration with MSG, I think).

Now I’ve just been reading on the MSG site and seen they’re NOT involved with the D2D for 2015 and that a rival organizer has stepped in…but can’t seem to find any more info.

Anyone know what’s going on?

stumpy01

ThetfordMTBracing have done all the race events for years at Thetford.

I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he has decided he had done his part & was handing over to a new bunch. They called themselves Thetford Racing, I think (this is going on info from the Facebook feeds that I follow).

A couple of weeks ago, Thetford Racing announced there would be no D2D this year and no Winter Series either.

I will try to find the exact statement to copy & paste it…..

verses

As I understand it (please don’t sue me if I’m wrong);
    – After “Thetford MTB Racing” packed in, a couple of the people who’d help them out said they’d carry on in their place as “Thetford Racing”.
    – “Thetford Racing” had dates lined up for D2D and the Winter Series
    – Another organisation has since come along, “G8 Events”, and set up their own series of events making the “Thetford Racing” ones no longer viable.

http://www.g8events.co.uk/upcoming-events/

stumpy01

This is from June 13th from their facebook page. So, sounded like Winter Series was a done deal & Dusk2Dawn needed some ironing out, but was on track…

Thetford Racing

June 13 · Edited ·

Here’s an update that we hope will answer some of the questions you guys have.

The winter series is pretty much sorted, the following dates have been booked with forestry.

Round 1 – 8/11/15
    Round 2 – 6/12/15
    Round 3 – 31/1/16
    Round 4 – 28/2/16

The venues are yet to be confirmed, as they are dependant on harvesting. We are still looking at changes to the format but essentially it will be a 4 hour and 2 hour enduro.

Dusk till Dawn has been booked with forestry and is currently a work in progress but proving to be a little problematic. We are however still looking at our options and will let everyone know as soon as a decision has been made.

Harvesting: The second crew have moved onto the Brandon side. We have been out during the week and it appears that a majority of the trails are closed. The Bird Hide car park was also closed but could well be opened for the weekend.

Alan is working at Mountain Mayhem next week, do come and say hi if you see him!

This was from 18th July and says that neither Winter Series or D2D are going ahead as there are too many other events in the area to make it viable.

Thetford Racing

July 18 at 4:47pm ·
    It is with great sadness that we need to announce that we will not be promoting either Dusk til Dawn or the Winter Series this year.
    After many hours of work we have concluded that there are now too many promoters with too many events in this area for ours to be viable.
    Unfortunately, although our motivation was not profit orientated we cant move forward with events that are almost certain to loose money.
    We are extremely grateful for all of the support that has been given by both riders and sponsors in this venture.
    Regards Alan & Mark

I find it strange that there is too much competition in the area to make the events viable….
    There are some other races held relatively nearby, I think (maybe the BrassMonkeys XC races??) but I can’t think of much else.
    I know the D2D has been a bit down on numbers for a couple of years, but I put that down to poor weather, rather than other local events & the Winter Series always seems pretty full.
    But, they must have done the sums and decided it wasn’t viable.

Hopefully something will fill the gap before too long.

I did a Summer Enduro a couple of years ago at Thetford and it was great. I’d love it if that was revived.
    I also wonder if the D2D would be better held at the start of September – bit warmer weather and less chance of rain perhaps (although a bit less darkness, which I’d be happy to trade!)

stumpy01

verses – not seen that G8 info before…..

thanks….

verses

There’s also this;

http://www.klmtbracing.com/

Which would be a bit of a replacement for the Summer Enduro

verses

For me the G8 ones are a pain.

For their winter series they appear to have 2 races in a single weekend which is a non-starter for me. Also they start later in the day meaning it’s harder to race and then get home in time to spend the afternoon with the family.

**shakes fist in futile gesture at the sky**

stumpy01

verses – Member

For me the G8 ones are a pain.

For their winter series they appear to have 2 races in a single weekend which is a non-starter for me. Also they start later in the day meaning it’s harder to race and then get home in time to spend the afternoon with the family.

Just had a look and thought the same…..
    2 races in a weekend – not sure how that works; 1 Sat & 1 Sun?
    And the later start would be a right pain – £25/race too, so I think I’m oooot.

Might see if a mate wants to do the 6hr one nr Kings Lynn as a pair – or possibly do it solo….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dusk 'til Dawn 2015 – what happening?’ is closed to new replies.