Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • drumlanrig on monday – anyone availible for a ride ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

looking like i may be riding drumlanrig on monday – anyone fancy a long slow(relitively) days riding or part days riding ?

ill be coming off the back of a 400km weekend so dont be worried about taking it easy ! and conversely dont be too hard on me hah.

failing that – how many km of trails are there ? ive only ridden the SXC course a couple years ago but it was ace so fancy heading back – enough for all day riding ?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

How long is long? 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

Trailrat, done a few laps of black today and its certainly a good place to ride, in fact i love it. I wouldn't recommend it for an all day cycling place, after 2 or 3 hours your wrists and hands are battered ( well mine were with my 90mm forks on a HT). I'm working Monday but would of joined you.

Where you riding this weekend??

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno – what length is the trails there ?

i was intending to ride from about 8.30 in the morning till about tea time with a break for dinner in the middle

trail_rat
    Free Member

audaxing the shit out of angus greig – pitlochry and back then glen clova i believe.

150 and 100 plus 25 there and back and there agian then 75k home on sunday via the grand parents

trail_rat
    Free Member

btw you sound like you need some ergons 😉

robgarrioch

Might take a trip down, am off Monday after a motorbikin / camping weekend in't Lakes, & trying to get round as many MTB routes this year as poss… Would only be for the morning though, DiY in the p.m. 🙄
    Will you have 'net access on Sunday Mr. Rat? Just so's I can confirm, or not…

Bit of an old-looking map here

Diane
    Free Member

Can't do this Monday but would be interested another Monday.

trail_rat
    Free Member

rob yes ill have access – email me on my profile addy though

i only have this week to ride as i took some holiidays from work after being told i have to take all my holidays over the spring/summer ….

radoggair
    Free Member

i was intending to ride from about 8.30 in the morning till about tea time with a break for dinner in the middle

i wouldn't do drumlanrig then if your riding for that long. I was doing 1hr 15mins laps today at a comfortable pace.Done 2 laps and was tempted on doing 3 but TBH by then i wasn't looking forward to another lap. Your best bet for that sort of thing would prob be Mabie forest (since its close to dumfries). Alot easier on the hands but still quite fast/hard going.

trail_rat
    Free Member

smee suggested i take the road bike as there are some nice quiet roads around for riding ….. drumlanrig in the morning , road bike in the afternoon and then drive over to inners at night ready for the next day :d

radoggair
    Free Member

smee suggested i take the road bike as there are some nice quiet roads around for riding ….. drumlanrig in the morning , road bike in the afternoon and then drive over to inners at night ready for the next day :d

Well Smee would suggest that wouldn't he. 🙄

If i was you i'd do a lap of black and 1 red drum in morning, drive to inners and do a ride round there. St Marys loch for instance is a nice round 50 miler, and then if you still feel good for it a lap of inners.

The good thing about inners is if your feeling good for it a lap is only an hour – an hour 15 ( at our pace 😉 )_

Trekster

This event uses some of the classic road in the area.
    http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btik.com/

Smee is right tho 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

plan is – wanlockheadgold rush trail starting from drumlanrig – found it in my bike scotland trails guide book ….flaw in my plan is i dont have time to get an os map from anywhere as im on a 7.30 am start ride tomorrow and god knows when ill get back – 150k plus visiting the grandparents so ill likely get back at 9pm …. then drive to drum !

any one got a gps route for the wanlockheadgold rush route ? or even a google maps afair i could load into my phone – navigation by book may work but id rather a bit of a back up haha- all going tits up at least my phone will guide me back to the car !

inners is tuesdays ride greig !

anyone know what time i can rock up to drumlanrig ? they wont go tits if i arrive at 7 am for example in my rumbling old diesel van !

trail_rat
    Free Member

or can i buy maps from rik for the route perhaps ?

Trekster

Think OS maps on sale at the motorway services at Abington if you are passing

Likely to be estate workers on the go at that time, farmers work funny hrs. No draw brige or gates 😉

Dave Moss here will know; http://www.dumfriescc.btik.com/
    Can drop him a mail and find out. You online tomorrow?
    Ralph Buwert will also know, give Rik a call tomorrow and see if he can lay his hands on a route map and stash it somewhere!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Excellent ride 5hrs on the nose 65kms and 1200m climbing . Cafe at wanlockhead is nice – and much needed by that point.

Climbs on the suw are savage – more like grassy walls than climbs – and thats from someone whos ridden up the north face path on ben nevis.

Took a wrong turn and ended up continuing on the suw to the a702 where as rik pointed out i should have retraced to the narrow path running along the ridge 🙁 oh well just have to doo it again !

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think I've done the trail you missed, its superb, feels like you are in danger of falling a very long way if you go off to the left. We did it at SSUK on the Saturday. The trail leaves the road just below the radar station.

banginon

If you'd have popped into the shop in the morning you could've borrowed the map I showed you later ….

with a wee bit of advice too. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the trails….

Trekster

Down Enterkin Burn? Magic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘drumlanrig on monday – anyone availible for a ride ?’ is closed to new replies.