Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Drivers – Do you think it should be law that…..
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I tend to reverse-park into spaces, driving a cheap bulky smoking estate car helps (all I need to do to get rid of the idiot behind me is to rev the engine past 3k – the cloud ensures they are very quick to drive away 😉 ).

Keva
    Free Member

what supermarkets need is a gangway walk in between every two rows of parked cars then people wouldn’t have to wheel trolleys and walk all across the driving area…. and reverse park into the spaces so the boot is easily accessible.

Kev

miketually
    Free Member

Where my dad used to work they had a reverse parking policy. But, that was to do with people all arriving at slightly staggered times, then leaving en masse at 5pm. So, they had all the reversing going on when there were fewer cars maneuvering.

He had to get special permission to park his motorbike forward – there was a slope so it was much easier to roll backward out of the spaces.

wombat

I generally reverse in to spaces unless I’m going to be returning with a lot of shopping and need esay access to the boot as I find it easier than reversing out.

A few *mumble about 15* years ago I was reversing in to a space at my local supermarket when a person (their sex is irrelevent for the purposes of this story 😉 ) decided that they would try to nip in to my space forwards…..I discovered on that day how much damage an agricultural tow hitch mounted on the back of a Land Rover Defender can do to the front corner of a Vauxhall Nova.

The other driver insisted it was my fault, the 2 policemen returning to their car with their lunch and saw everything took a different view.

Result was 1 (virtually) written off Nova, 1 very angry hairdresser and slight metallic blue smear on my tow hitch 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

….Everyone MUST reverse park in car parks?

Yes. Their drives at home too. Common sense really, less visibility in reverse, so reverse into the smaller space. It’s actually in the Highway Code too.

plumber
    Free Member

In that there Canada its illegal to reverse into a spot. I know why it is but its still stupid

aracer
    Free Member

what supermarkets need is a gangway walk in between every two rows of parked cars to fit the most cars they can into a given car park size as that saves them money

FTFY

hels
    Free Member

I think it is illegal to reverse out of a driveway onto a road in this country is it not ? Or am I getting my road rules mixed up…

It’s largely ignored anyway.

Taff
    Free Member

I’d rather people reverse out and I take care when I’m driving towards them than people trying to get trolleys between my car and theirs.

Taff
    Free Member

I think it is illegal to reverse out of a driveway onto a road in this country is it not ? Or am I getting my road rules mixed up…

It’s largely ignored anyway.

Think that’s right. Car park isn’t a road thoug, it’s not adopted and therefore is private grounds

roverman
    Free Member

I drive a ratty 60 year old land rover, this has two mirrors mounted on the wings and one on the drivers door and these are all the size of beer mats and still parallel park and reverse park if I have to, no power steering and more blind spots than a pirates convention.
    The thing that pisses me of the most is if I have pulled in nose first to get the 8 ft of plaster board in is the amount of useless, thick witted, slow minded, brain dead, self centred numties that still try to drive around the back of me when I’m halve way out, the look of horror as 2 ton of steel suddenly picks speed towards their eurobox never cecess to give me great pleasure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

More blind spots than a pirates convention

Superb! LOL! 😀

Let ’em bounce off the Landy. I would.

stucol
    Free Member

Roverman, don’t you mean 1 ton of steel and another ton of alloy ?

A nice set of sill bars are great for stopping door bangers in their tracks !

Sadly i have a eurobox, and every single dent in it was not caused by me. Oh i wish i had a landie.

project
    Free Member

Saw 2 male motorists in Machester a few months ago, one reversed into the space, while the other drove forward from the space behind, rather large bang and much swearing.

£250 OFF YOUVE BEEN FRAMED, if i had my camera.

thegman67

That’s why women will always need men

D0NK

Driving to and from the supermarket for the weekly shop is the only regular driving I do so no ta, unless they do Keva’s gangway idea.
    But no shopping = reverse it in.
    Edit

That’s why women will always need men

oh and my mrs can reverse park a shedload better than half the guys who have to bounce their cars up onto the kerb to get into a not very tight spot at our local shops, some people can park some can’t, got nowt to do with their sex.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If only we hadn’t let go of the colonies we’d have enough space for nice wide heeringbone car parks (reversing visibility is ok on the majority of vehicles if they’re not trying to turn though 90 degress in a very limited space)

What I don’t get is the number of peopl who look at you impatientlly when you drive past a space, stop and stick it in reverse. It’s like they don’t realise that it makes life easier and quicker when you come to leave* (unless you have epic amounts of bags. I suppose one solution would be to put the engines in the back 😉 )

cinnamon_girl

I can’t reverse park so should I be banned from driving? 🙄

jam-bo

I can’t reverse park so should I be banned from driving?

you should learn to reverse park.

cinnamon_girl

I have different spatial skills. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

What I don’t get is the number of peopl who look at you impatientlly when you drive past a space, stop and stick it in reverse. It’s like they don’t realise that it makes life easier and quicker when you come to leave

I don’t care how quick it is for you when you come to leave – you won’t be in my way then.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

They should have premium spaces in car parks; I would quite happily pay a few quid extra to park in an extra wide space away from the plebs banging their doors into me. Does anyone else have this problem when they drive a decent car and park it in a public car park? I end up parking as far away as possible from the shop just to avoid people with no respect. No bad thing really I suppose, I could do with the exercise.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Only trouble with reverse parking is: it makes it a pain in the ass to then unload all your shopping or whatever into the boot.

(this may have already been said but I can’t be ar$ed reading through the entire thread)

aracer
    Free Member

(this may have already been said but I can’t be ar$ed reading through the entire thread)

Once or twice. STW thanks you for wasting our time rather than yours.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Found my odl mans car scraped on the bumper returning from shopping and asked car park security for the film of the dodgy driver.

I like the idea of reverse car parking.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Drivers – Do you think it should be law that…..’ is closed to new replies.