Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Drilling out allen bolts on discs
  • mtb_rob
    Free Member

I put a big ass crack in my Bontrager Earl rim today. So thats for the bin. Decided to strip it down and keep the hub and spokes and nipples and cassette and etc. Problem is that as I deconstructed it I found out that the previous owner has at some point rounded off 2 of the nuts holding the disc to the hub. What can I do? If I drill them out then the hub is for the bin, but at least I keep the disc. Can I get them out without damaging either part?

Phatman
    Free Member

cut a groove across the head of the bolt and use a screwdriver

mmb
    Free Member

try sawing a slot across the top to use a screwdriver or try gripping it with a pair of molgrips?.

jam-bo

Yes. Drill them slowly with 8/10mm bit until the heads fall apart, then take the disc off. If your lucky, undo what's left with a set of pliers.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Phatman – Member
    cut a groove across the head of the bolt and use a screwdriver

I am loving the simplicity of that. What to use to cut the groove?

mmb
    Free Member

or drill a very small hole and use a very small screw extractor

mmb
    Free Member

use a mini hacksaw couple of quid from a diy store

kinda666
    Free Member

Had to do it on two bolts today!!

Dremel is your friend!!

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Hacksaw with a fine toothed bi-metal blade then?

albino
    Free Member

If you can get your hand on a Dremel than that will cut a very nice groove. Use the cutter disc first of all and then use it very gently to grind out a slightly wider groove.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

OK, cheers. I will begin the hunt for a dremel-weilding friend/companion/complete stranger. Wish me well!

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

Try tapping a slightly bigger allen key or torx head into the rounded hole first. Its worked for me a few times.

pdw
    Free Member

Screw extractor worked when this happened to me.

Then use torx bolts when you put it back together so you don't have to go through this nonsense again.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Try tapping a slightly bigger allen key or torx head into the rounded hole first. Its worked for me a few times

Tried – Failed

Then use torx bolts when you put it back together so you don't have to go through this nonsense again

Sounds a most sensible idear

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

A friend had this problem, we clamped the head of the offending bolt tightly in a vice and then rotated the wheel. It came off fine.

Good luck.

DT78
    Free Member

Try aralditing a allen / torq bit to it.

*you'd think I had shares 🙂

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Filing flats onto the opposite edges of the head so you can use a small spanner is more likely to work than putting a groove in for a screwdriver if the bolts are tight. Plus, if that fails, you can always try both…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Drilling out allen bolts on discs’ is closed to new replies.